LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally recieved My McLeod Twin disc set up. Have a Question before Install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally recieved My McLeod Twin disc set up. Have a Question before Install.

Well after 7 months of waiting I finally recieved my McLeod Twin disc set up with master cylinder (the master cylinder is a Willwood) not sure if this is their "new" master cylinder or not.

Anyways I have a question for guys who have installed this clutch set up before. McLeod notes at the bottom of the instructions
"ALL ASSEMBLIES SHOULD BE MATCH BALANCED TO YOUR OLD FLYWHEEL"

I'm kind of lost in what there saying there. Am I suppose to take my Old beat flywheel and new McLeod fly wheel to the machine shop and get them to "match balance it"

This may be a dumb statement but isn't balanced.... balanced?

I'm going to call McLeod tomorrow, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i believe it is set to neutral balance with out the weight, the lt1 plate is supposed to be neutral balanced also
Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That statement is only for those reusing their old flywheel. What it means is that the clutch assembly and flywheel need to be balanced together to match. If both came from mcleod then you should be good.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Perfect thanks a lot guys.

If thats the case hopefully I'll have a start up vid of my new setup this Sunday.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt do anything to my flywheel and is fine. No worries!!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Same here ^^^^^just put it on
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Launching!

I third this. Just cleaned it and installed it. Just a note keep the washers clean and seperated. There small and tend to hide. Been 25k on mine and still hitting every gear hard as ever
Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

Hmm, I called the guys at McLeod today and they Reccomend getting it match balanced to the olf flywheel and pressure plate. So I'm going to do that just to be safe. I talked to my local machine shop and they wont be able to do it until monday. So looks like I won't be firing it up this weekend. It'll give me a chance to tie up some loose ends on the car like make up my new battery cables, HVAC gauge pod stuff like that.

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by airfix
Hmm, I called the guys at McLeod today and they Reccomend getting it match balanced to the olf flywheel and pressure plate. So I'm going to do that just to be safe.
Excellent. Always a good idea to balance the flywheel with pressure plate before installation.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they tell you to get it balanced to your old flywheel because that old flywheel is balanced to match your original rotating assembly. now in my case i had a brand new motor built and they built it to be zero balanced so i took the weight off the back of the flywheel off and this zero balanced the mcleod set up and it works great... if you dont at least to check to make sure that its balanced to your old fly wheel (in essence will balance it to your rotating assembly) you may end up with some crazy vibrations and be kicking yourself for not checking it. This is the reasoning behind getting it balanced to the old one. Hope this helps
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

correct. i had mine matched when i got it, it was 2 grams out.
Originally Posted by transmaro93
they tell you to get it balanced to your old flywheel because that old flywheel is balanced to match your original rotating assembly. now in my case i had a brand new motor built and they built it to be zero balanced so i took the weight off the back of the flywheel off and this zero balanced the mcleod set up and it works great... if you dont at least to check to make sure that its balanced to your old fly wheel (in essence will balance it to your rotating assembly) you may end up with some crazy vibrations and be kicking yourself for not checking it. This is the reasoning behind getting it balanced to the old one. Hope this helps
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the info guys. I dropped it off at the machine shop today. Should have it back wendsday. I'm still running the stock short block. I'm really hoping to fire it up next weekend, since I had a few delays this week and it wasnt possible to get it running this weekend. I've been slowly Doing everything since october, I'll make a build thread with a lot of pictures sometime next week showing everything I have done, along with a start up vid.

Quick Reply: Finally recieved My McLeod Twin disc set up. Have a Question before Install.