LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning- what ALL do I need

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning- what ALL do I need

I'm tired of looking for someone to correct my speedometer. No one wants to work on the car without doing a full tune and I don't want to pay for a full tune when I'm planning on modding the car. I don't want to do a mailorder tune because I'm not 100% sure of the details on the car such as previous tune and If my rear is a 390 Or 410 etc.

I'm gonna get into tuning and am a complete beginner. So tell me, what all do I need to start tuning.

I know I'll need laptop, cable and some sort of scanning/tuning software. Which is the most simple. Basically I'll start with speedometer, shift points, and fan temperature commands. Then after I get the basics I'll start the "real" tuning.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had tunercat and freescan for a couple months and it's really easy to work with and understand. You'll also need a cable that connects to your labtop. If you have vista or windows seven it can be difficult to install but other than that, it's rather easy. just save your initial tune b/c you will do somethings your car does not like. wait what year is your car? I've only done obd1
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obd1.

Can I just buy a cheap netbook to use? I know alot of them have windows xp.
I have a desktop and don't want to buy a $500+ on a laptop to use for tuning. I gave access to a laptop but would rather get my own.

How much is tunercat?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Obd1.

Can I just buy a cheap netbook to use? I know alot of them have windows xp.
I have a desktop and don't want to buy a $500+ on a laptop to use for tuning. I gave access to a laptop but would rather get my own.

How much is tunercat?
Most Netbooks don't offer COM port selection, both in Device Manager and in the BIOS, so using them isn't a real viable alternative. IMO, get a decent laptop - one that won't lock up or freeze on you especially if you're going to be doing your own tuning. If the computer dies or locks up during programming the PCM is toast.

Pick up a used eBay laptop for a few hundred bucks and wipe it clean. Install a fresh copy of Windows XP and install your tuning software with nothing else. That's a good start.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Most Netbooks don't offer COM port selection, both in Device Manager and in the BIOS, so using them isn't a real viable alternative. IMO, get a decent laptop - one that won't lock up or freeze on you especially if you're going to be doing your own tuning. If the computer dies or locks up during programming the PCM is toast.

Pick up a used eBay laptop for a few hundred bucks and wipe it clean. Install a fresh copy of Windows XP and install your tuning software with nothing else. That's a good start.
thanks man didn't think of frying the PCM that would really suck on a daily driver. Well in that case I guess I'm gonna check out some good laptops at bestbuys. I'd rather get something with a warranty than eBay it.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to learn about this as well.

How does tunercat/freescan compare to HPTuners?

My car is also OBDI
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

hp tuners is far superior to tunercat/freescan. The problem is hp tuners does not support the lt1 platform, so tunercat (obd1) and jet dst (obd2) are your only optionsfor the lt1. Unless you can get a company like lingenfelter to let you use thier GM software, but thats highly unllikely lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

How does tunerpro compare to tunercats/freescan in terms are easy of use? Im also going to start tuning on my own but im unsure of what program to use
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does tunercat/freescan work the same way as HPT?
Like the unlocking credits thing and what not?

My car will probably only be a full bolt-on car, with maybe a healthy shot of nitrous later.
I don't want to get in over my head when I start this lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tunercats for obd1 Is able to tune multiple cars no need to buy extra credits. Also look into tuner pro version 5. its free and has data logging as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tunercat is around 150, it is what allows you to change things in your pcm

Freescan is free and it just logs your data, such as rpm's, 02mv's, timing and tps. well I think we're all in over our heads.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can I change things with tunerpro or is it just like freescan?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can change all perimeters with Tuner pro, you will need win flash to upload it to your pcm.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Can I change things with tunerpro or is it just like freescan?
Read through this thread i think it will give you a lot of info and give a good start

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-tutorial.html
Old 08-17-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need a decent laptop.. get an ebay one for a couple hundred.. their in the paper here sometimes real cheap also... you need one with a working rs232 serial port or a functioning usb port.. i think some netbooks do have usb ports, its been a while since ive looked at them..

you need an aldl cable, they are about $50-$60

you need tunercats winflash program to upload and download your programs to and from the pcm.. $20

tunerproRT version5 beta, is completely free, and allows you to do everything tunercats will do... if, when you download tunerproRT also download and install the $EE definition file and the correct adx file so you can monitor and datalog your car... tunerproRT and tunercats obd1 will allow you to tune as many vehicles you want to, there are many, many definition files to tune and monitor other makes and models beside the 94-95 camaro/firebirds.. the defintion files are free for tunerproRT, they are not free for tunercats..

i prefer tunerproRT over tunercats, tunerproRT seems a little more up to date, tunercats needs a revamp...

TC has good support for tunercats, i had a tough time installing tunercats on win7 64bit, took me 2 days to finally get it going, i had to turn off my user account control before it would run... i'm not sure about tunerproRT support, i havent had a problem with it yet, runs good on win7 64bit..
Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do my basic tuning so I'll post what I use that works.

Laptop - I use an Acer netbook and its IMO the perfect setup. Nice and small, easy to set up in the car. You don't need a powerhouse to run the tuning/datalogging software, so a netbook is perfect.
Cable - Moates USB cable is what I use. Works fine and driver setup was easy.
Datalogger - Never had any luck with Freescan, it would lose connection all the time, so I use Datamaster. Easy to use and interpret all the data.
Tuning - Tunercat, although I never tried Tunerpro yet. If you get Tunercat, you get the upload program (Win Flash), if not, you'll have to pay for that separately.

If you go further than basic tuning and start editing spark and a/f ratio tables, then you'll need a wideband to monitor the a/f ratio. I don't have one, so I can't give you any advice there.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm definitly getting a good laptop now I could use one at school anyways.

Think I'm gonna try tunerpro I really like what I'm reading about it and how it's an all in one program.

With my other hobbies and being tight on cash I'm not gonna be setup to actully start tuning for probably a month. Im gonna update the thread with questions though in the future.

Thanks for all the help. Now I know what direction I need to go in.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

To bad it don't work for obd2...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
To bad it don't work for obd2...
no kidding, i wish it would..
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Launching!

JET DST is the only option for tuning an OBD2 LT1?? There has to be more than one...

Quick Reply: Tuning- what ALL do I need