LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How big of a difference is a SBC timing cover vs an LT1 cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How big of a difference is a SBC timing cover vs an LT1 cover?

Im floating around the idea of trying to put a 3-peice cover on my LT1, since im also floating around a few different setups in mind. Im getting tired of having to loosen the oil pan just to take off the cover, so how much of a pain is it to put on a regular sbc timing cover? pics? suggestions?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by slownova73
Im floating around the idea of trying to put a 3-peice cover on my LT1, since im also floating around a few different setups in mind. Im getting tired of having to loosen the oil pan just to take off the cover, so how much of a pain is it to put on a regular sbc timing cover? pics? suggestions?
They are very different. Keep in mind that an LT1 cover is aluminum and has 3 holes in the front for the water pump drive, the opti, and the balancer. A regular SBC cover has one hole in front for the balancer. You'd have better luck taking a band saw to a stock LT1 cover and hoping that your RTV job holds up.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The only way I could see you doing it is by modifying the LT1 cover-not using an SBC cover. Too different. You'll need some pretty good fabricating skills to pull it off.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joelster
They are very different. Keep in mind that an LT1 cover is aluminum and has 3 holes in the front for the water pump drive, the opti, and the balancer. A regular SBC cover has one hole in front for the balancer. You'd have better luck taking a band saw to a stock LT1 cover and hoping that your RTV job holds up.
Originally Posted by shbox
The only way I could see you doing it is by modifying the LT1 cover-not using an SBC cover. Too different. You'll need some pretty good fabricating skills to pull it off.
well mine is carbed, so no opti, and it has an EWP

and ive seen a few LTx's with sbc timing covers, and one with a front mount distributor, i just didnt know if the bolt pattern was crazy different, or if it was just to much fabbing involved for it, maybe i can find a junk sbc cover, and to some R&D lol
Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its my understanding that everything lines up except the top three bolt holes. been too busy to mess around with cutting up a stock cover. i have a few non vented covers laying around, just need time.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by slownova73
well mine is carbed, so no opti, and it has an EWP

and ive seen a few LTx's with sbc timing covers, and one with a front mount distributor, i just didnt know if the bolt pattern was crazy different, or if it was just to much fabbing involved for it, maybe i can find a junk sbc cover, and to some R&D lol
Suggestions might have been different if you had included that information in the initial post.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
Suggestions might have been different if you had included that information in the initial post.

well it really didnt cross my mind to begin with lol
Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
its my understanding that everything lines up except the top three bolt holes. been too busy to mess around with cutting up a stock cover. i have a few non vented covers laying around, just need time.
so that sounds like it will fit fine, just make a block off plate for the water pump drive, or plug the hole or somethin like that..hmm..
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

after talks on here i thought about cutting mine in half for my deal..i would ad a very small lip to the inside of the bottom cover..not thick wise either but enough to put a decent bead of rtv on it.that way after messing with the cam i would just bolt to top cover back on and not worry about the cut leaking.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

if anyone wants a non vented cover to try this on just cover shipping and i'll mail one to ya.it'd be alot easier welding up the 92-94 covers... pm if interested.

ive got some 1/8" aluminum ill get TIG'd for the lip maybe a 45 degree downward cut front to back or so. the only thing i dont like is the cover is ugly as **** cnorton on cz28.com is local to me and i want to go over and look at his stuff, he's done a few jesel belt drives.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

i sent him a pm over there, he doesnt post much so dont hold your breath lol
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i sent him a pm over there, he doesnt post much so dont hold your breath lol
haha ill remember that

Quick Reply: How big of a difference is a SBC timing cover vs an LT1 cover?