LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP! I'm Simple and I want to learn!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! I'm Simple and I want to learn!!

Hey whats up guys??

Its been a while since I have posted anything. I have a stock 93 t/a, which I ran a few months ago and I hit 14.3.

To the point! I need help. I recently picked up a cheap winter truck I really want to work on my T/a!!! but I'm not too sure where to start. I was thinking about doing some shorty headers and true duals with an electronic cutout because my exhaust is leaking anyway. I also wanna cam it. Can someone give me some assistance with mods and any needed supporting mods that would be a good starting point? My dad is a mechanic by trade so he can help me do it. Thanks!!!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To benefit out of a cam swap, get all your bolt-on's done first like intake, exhaust, subframe connectors, headers, gears, tires.

What kind of times are you hoping to run? This going to be a street/strip car?

Last edited by LT1; 10-29-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

For starters I think you really need to decide what your goals are with the car.atleast that way you don't double spend...Imo longtubes would be a better choice.
Once your goals are posted there are many knowledgeable people on here to assist you..
Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do NOT go with shorty headers. If your going to do headers GO with longtubes! They will net better powergains and allow you room to grow in the future.
I would start with longtubes W/ TD's, along with a CAI, and a good tune. For your first round of mods. Then I would look into getting the power to the ground, ie suspension components such as LCA's, LCA's relocation brackets, Subframe connectors, panhard bar, and tires of course. To do a cam swap your going to have to have all supporting mods and are going to have to start with those first.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

My goal is to get it in the 10s/11s one day. I want to keep it street legal too, so it will be a strip/weekend car. Lts are illegal in Delaware, so that wouldn't be an option for me. I am planning on going with a ram air intake to start out though.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

You cant even run the longtubes that have provisions for all the emissions crap?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah. At least this is what I was told. I'll have to double check though. Also, theres this site called delta cams, they grind down your cams for $90 each. Would this be worth it, or should I just get some race cams or go with the complete kit?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevbon
Yeah. At least this is what I was told. I'll have to double check though. Also, theres this site called delta cams, they grind down your cams for $90 each. Would this be worth it, or should I just get some race cams or go with the complete kit?

Longtubes will fail a visual. They force the cat to be too far back and you'll possibly fail a sniffer too.

Get midtubes. Shorties suck for the most part. Yes, you'll have gains, but evey mod they will start to be a choke point more and more.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

They didn't look last time I got it inspected, but the emissions are a big *** pain.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Longtubes will fail a visual. They force the cat to be too far back and you'll possibly fail a sniffer too.

Get midtubes. Shorties suck for the most part. Yes, you'll have gains, but evey mod they will start to be a choke point more and more.
really i know there are 50 state legal midtubes and i was pretty sure there were 49 state legal longtubes (california)..............as for failing a sniffer theres no way in hell that with a proper tune it shold fail a sniffer..........my 355 had a crane 222/230 with Trick Flows an 11.2:1 CR with a hollowed out cat and I made it pass the sniffer lol...........as for your car I'd reccomend putting long tubes on it do some reasearch and make damnn sure that you cant run them before you buy shorties or midtubes.......long tubes are essental......next toss some gear in the car as well as a free flowing cat back and intake.........also if its an auto toss a 3600 converter in the car and then I'd look into that AI 218/226 Cam its their verson of the hot cam and it WILL make more than the hot cam..............also check into some lca relocation brackets and a good set of drag radials.............

and keep ur fingers crossed on the rear end lasting lol
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i was pretty sure there were 49 state legal longtubes (california)...
They do have the emissions ports on them, but I thought they'd still fail with the cats being too far back... maybe that's just az too... I don't know if there's enough room to fit cats under the car in the length limits. Hell I may be wrong. It's been over 2 years since I looked at headers or cared about emissions.

Last edited by LSWHO; 10-29-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

They do have the emissions ports on them, but I thought they'd still fail with the cats being too far back... maybe that's just az too...
i cant see how that will affect him......my truck has cats about 3 feet down off the manifolds........long as it has "cats" on it and it passes the sniffer ur good.........like i said i made a fake cat and put a "emissions" tune in my 355 when time came.............with this new motor i just pull some strings lol
Old 10-29-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

i cant see how that will affect him......my truck has cats about 3 feet down off the manifolds........long as it has "cats" on it and it passes the sniffer ur good.........like i said i made a fake cat and put a "emissions" tune in my 355 when time came.............with this new motor i just pull some strings lol
EDIT: I'm not arguing or anything, I'm just sharing info that I've come across...

Just looked it up. The EPA requires them to be in the same place or distance as original. Which longtubes don't allow.

So yes, he more than likely would pass, but if you get the wrong inspector, he'll fail.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Pacesetter says their mids are 50 legal, but says nothing about the longtubes legality.
LPP says nothing about legality

Last edited by LSWHO; 10-29-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

EDIT: I'm not arguing or anything, I'm just sharing info that I've come across...

Just looked it up. The EPA requires them to be in the same place or distance as original. Which longtubes don't allow.

So yes, he more than likely would pass, but if you get the wrong inspector, he'll fail.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Pacesetter says their mids are 50 legal, but says nothing about the longtubes legality.
LPP says nothing about legality
hmmm wow that sucks........i say just go in if the guy gives you **** wave a 50 in front of his face and something tells me he'll change his mind.....if not theres plenty of places around that will "help" you pass lol
Old 10-29-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah dude theres this dike at our DMV and shes the biggest pain in the *** ever!!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

...and what Im gathering from here, start off with lt headers, true duals w/cutout, and cam while i have it all apart? Any other suggestions?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your planning to run 10's start saving for a stronger rear end.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm wow that sucks........i say just go in if the guy gives you **** wave a 50 in front of his face and something tells me he'll change his mind.....if not theres plenty of places around that will "help" you pass lol
I would always get a pass, but I would only go to the nastiest looking shop I could find, they never asked any questions.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'd also consider going to larger Ford Racing Injectors when you do the cam and the chip. An MSD vented cap and rotor would be a good idea too. I'd also eliminate the water pump drive and drop in an electric water pump "while you're at it." I'd do the cold air and at least mid-tubes first though. If it's an auto, I'd do the converter, gears, and a shift kit too. Lower control arms and tires are a great upgrade as well.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it'll be hard to get into 10's staying street legal........

Quick Reply: HELP! I'm Simple and I want to learn!!