LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrods

What pushrods should I run with my lt4 hot cam and SA 1.6 pro mag RR's? I am asking this because I think I might have a slightly bent stock pushrod. I can hear some ticking in the valve cover; it's not bad but I don't want to risk causing more damage. I am going to remove all of the rocker arms soon and inspect the pushrods. If I do decide to replace them what push rods should I go with; the car shifts at 6200rpms.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you end up having a bent pushrod, you first need to figure out WHY it bent, and determine if there is any piston/valve damage.

I would go with a Trick Flow chromoly pushrod, 5/16" diameter. They're about $80 for the set. OEM length is 7.20", so if you are sure the heads have never been off, milled, or gaskets replaced, 7.20" will be fine.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I installed my RRs, I used Manley pushrods. Essentially the same deal, at roughly the same price....
Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im using 7.195 comp cams, are you sure its an actually tick? Roller rockers are noisier then factory.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a light tick not really that bad, but I can hear it at higher rps going down the highway with the windows up. I think It is on the driver side; If it is a bent push rod it is not bent too bad, because it is just not that loud. I will be taking them off and readjusting the RR's this weekend. Can RR's be heard going down the highway in higher rpms?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by henry172
......I will be taking them off and readjusting the RR's this weekend. Can RR's be heard going down the highway in higher rpms?
No, I doubt that you should be able to hear them over all the other noise being generated by the wind, exhaust and tires. In fact, if the noise is that loud, I would suggest that you stop driving the car until you find the source.

One question...How much preload did you put into the lifters when you installed the rockers? Also, did you have the engine fully warmed up when you did the adjustment?

When I originally installed my RRs, I also put in a set of the Comp Cams 875R lifters, and they don't take a lot of preload. I had all sorts of issues with them being noisy, until I adjusted the preload with the engine FULLY warmed up, as the iron block and aluminum heads expand at different rates. I later took out the CC lifters and put the OEs back in, but still made sure that the engine was hot when I adjusted them, and the valvetrain is fairly quiet.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have ls7 lifters in it now; but I did not heat the motor up before adjusting them. I used about 1/4 turn preload all of the lifters; I also have had a really slight miss or shake at Idle.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by henry172
I have ls7 lifters in it now; but I did not heat the motor up before adjusting them. I used about 1/4 turn preload all of the lifters; I also have had a really slight miss or shake at Idle.
If the LS7 lifters are usually run with the same amount of preload as any other GM lifters, I'd say you're a little "loose". I would adjust them to 1/2 turn, with the engine fully warmed, and see if that quiets things down.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If the LS7 lifters are usually run with the same amount of preload as any other GM lifters, I'd say you're a little "loose". I would adjust them to 1/2 turn, with the engine fully warmed, and see if that quiets things down.
I have ran my LS7s at 1/4 turn and they and my valvetrain is quiet (as quiet as roller rockers get). I think a 1/4 turn should be just fine, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Quick Reply: Pushrods