LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pics of LPP vs. Ebay headers side-by-side

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of LPP vs. Ebay headers side-by-side

I said in another thread that I would post these, so here they are...

I few things I would like to point out. Both set of headers were bought in spring of 2010. So that makes these the 2nd design LPPs, and the Ebays were from AP1AP2. Obviously, they are damn near identical, leading me to believe they are built on the same jig. However, the LPPs are clearly made of a higher quality stainless. This became more apparent after they were installed and ran in the cars. The LPPs turned "goldish" and the Ebay turned kind of a "dingy" finish. Also, notice the welds look much nicer with the LPPs. Flanges are the same thickness, however the welds where the primaries meet the flange are once again much nicer on the LPPs, altough its hard to tell in the pics. You can see the LPPs have a two piece collector, I'm assuming because they welded in a velocity spike, which is a feature the Ebays did not have.

Installation was very similar for both. The ebays required loosening the steering shaft and moving towards the driver's inner fender to gain clearance, the LPPs did not require this. However, on the passenger side, the LPPs hit the inner frame and had to be clearanced, the Ebays did not require this. Both cars have stock k-members, and both set of headers required grinding on the lips of the k-member to gain proper clearance.

So there you have it, direct comparison of the two from the same people installing both. The LPPs belong to me, and the Ebays belong to my brother-in-law (Kall is his screen name).

My opinion is that the LPPs are superior, but only because of the quality of the metal and the nicer welds. Are the LPPs worth the extra money? You can decide that for yourself. I will say this though: If I had to do it over again, I would likely buy the Ebays, then have them ceramic coated.

In all pics, the LPPs are on the top, ebays on the bottom. Except the last pic which is of the collectors, Ebays on the left while LPPs on the right.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great comparison thread for sure!!
And i run the bottoms..
Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I have both of those headers on 2 different cars and they are near 100% identical
Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish we had LT headers choices like this back 15 years ago.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

The eBay headers welds look better to me, maybe my PC is messing up though.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the welds dont have the staining look on mine either...What the hell does a jig look like anyhow...lets see one of those
Old 02-12-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the primaries and collectors the exact same diameter on each brand? I thought I came across a thread where someone had the ebay headers and were a little under 1 3/4. There seems to be a few different styles on Ebay now so they may have been a different set all together.

I didn't realize these were selling so cheap. I was going to reuse my 9 year old Jet Hot long tubes on my 355 build but for this price I may get a set.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info. We just have to be careful with the term "ebay headers" as they're not all the same. Some are not stepped like the LPPs but fit great.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97pontta
Are the primaries and collectors the exact same diameter on each brand? I thought I came across a thread where someone had the ebay headers and were a little under 1 3/4. There seems to be a few different styles on Ebay now so they may have been a different set all together.

I didn't realize these were selling so cheap. I was going to reuse my 9 year old Jet Hot long tubes on my 355 build but for this price I may get a set.
Oops, I left out that info by mistake. Yes, the primaries and collectors measure the same for both. 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8", 3" collectors. If you look closely, they are not stepped in exactly the same places on every primary.

Originally Posted by gregrob
Good info. We just have to be careful with the term "ebay headers" as they're not all the same. Some are not stepped like the LPPs but fit great.
Very true, thats why I specified that these were from AP1AP2. These seem to be some of the more popular ones that people are always posting new threads asking questions about, and the same ones that 05HD did a write-up on. However, I do believe these sold by AP1AP2 are the exact same headers sold by alot of the other ebay vendors.

Last edited by Colin91Z; 02-12-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know about you colin but the lpp headers on mine DID not need any k member cutting like the ebay headers needed
Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

I'm looking at it this way, lpp isn't making headers right now, and when they do, their about 200 bones more, while they fit better and are made out of better materials, the availbilty isn't that great. If they are making headers when I'm in the market in a coupple of months, sure ill buy some lpps, but otherwise ill buy the ap1ap2 headers, the fact they come with a y pipe is irrevelent, I'm doing true duals.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idformula
I'm looking at it this way, lpp isn't making headers right now, and when they do, their about 200 bones more, while they fit better and are made out of better materials, the availbilty isn't that great. If they are making headers when I'm in the market in a coupple of months, sure ill buy some lpps, but otherwise ill buy the ap1ap2 headers, the fact they come with a y pipe is irrevelent, I'm doing true duals.
If they are made on the same jig by the same manufacture you can bet they are made out of the same materials.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
I dont know about you colin but the lpp headers on mine DID not need any k member cutting like the ebay headers needed
Ah very true, I forgot your car didn't need the k-member trimmed when we installed them. But, yours did need clearancing on the passenger side where they hit the framerail just like mine did.
Originally Posted by speed_demon24
If they are made on the same jig by the same manufacture you can bet they are made out of the same materials.
I said same jig, not same manufacturer. Its clear to me that the fit & finish is very different between the two.

Both made out of stainless steel? Yes. But they most certainly are not made out of the same grade of stainless. LPP advertised their being made of 321 stainless, while the AP1AP2s appear to likey be made from 304 stainless by the "dingy" looking finish they end up with after running them for a while. I speculate 304 because they look alot like my SLP headers on my old 3rd gen, which I know were made from 304. My LPPs are still very shiney and reflective, while Kall's ebays are now "dingy" looking. They were installed within a week of each other.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

I thought the were just from the same jigs, not the same manufacturer?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

As I said the ebays look to be LPP gen 1 knockoffs. The gen 2 LPPs have some tweaking to fit beetter than gen 1s. Mine fit great as do most everyone elses. Id rather pay a little more for the LPPs that fit like a glove than have to clearance my headers/k member/steering knuckle
Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I doubt theyre 301, maybe 304.

See of a magnet sticks to them. 304 it will usually stick a little. 321 wont
Old 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gregrob
I doubt theyre 301, maybe 304.

See of a magnet sticks to them. 304 it will usually stick a little. 321 wont
Who said anything about 301?

I said the LPPs are made of 321...and thought the ebays are likey 304

Edit: I just tried a magnet on my LPPs, no sticky at all.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idformula
I thought the were just from the same jigs, not the same manufacturer?
So you think manufactures share jigs with eachother?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry thought I saw 301 somewhere.

Now can someone try the magnet test on the ebay LPP copies
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
lol i would beg to differ. im sure there a few grades diffrent

Quick Reply: Pics of LPP vs. Ebay headers side-by-side