LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works

I just spent a fortune on on a complete exhaust for my LT1. I opened up the boxes and everything looked really nice from the outside. Upon closer examination im not to pleased what i seen on the inside. I got the stainless works chambered exhaust. The chambered muffler and the two resonators must be one of work weld jobs i ever seen. See the pics. I probably have to spend a few hours on these with my dremel to clean them up. Next off is the Kooks y pipe where they join into one. You can see the overlap and poor cut in the steel which might cause for poor airflow. I dont think I can do anything about this. Has anyone else had quality issues with these two companies. I really don't like to bitch, but with the money that i spent on these i would expect qualtity to be top notch.
Attached Thumbnails poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works-stainless-works-1.jpg   poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works-stainless-works.jpg   poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works-kooks-y-pipe111.jpg   poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works-kook-y-pipe222.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call up kooks and ask for a refund or exchange for some properly made parts.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

I would expect the Kooks Y to look better for the money, But my old pacesetter Y-pipe looked just like that.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, that is pretty disappointing for what they cost.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:27 PM

I'll send Kooks and Stainless Works an email with the pics tommorow and see what they have to say. Maybe the welds that Stainless Works are supposed to act like resonators.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edmontoncamaro
I'll send Kooks and Stainless Works an email with the pics tommorow and see what they have to say. Maybe the welds that Stainless Works are supposed to act like resonators.
A buddy of mine bought a stainless works down pipe for his Mazda speed three and the welds ended up breaking on it and we had to weld it back. Not sure whats up with their quality here lately, i alway thought they did really nice work.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

wow, that looks horrible. you think they could clean all that up..
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a universal y merge for most LT or LS y pipes. The only ones I know of with a good merge are Mufflex, QTP, American Racing and Texas Speed. Its easily fixed with a Flowmaster merge/Magnaflow merge. I wouldn't complain to Kooks, as stated its universal with most companies. As for the Stainless Works one id definitely call them. I saw the inside of my GMMG and it looked way better than that
Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM

I spoke to Chris at Kooks today. He said its common to have the overlap at the merge in the y pipe. He said it will not affect my performance with my stock Lt1 and a little bit of back pressure will help me out. He said I can send them back if I want to. I will just install them the way they are. Kooks has great customer service and they want you to be satisfied. I recieved an email back from Stainless Works. They said that they do not expect to see any cold welds on their muffler cores. I will send them back to get repaired.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few years ago my friend bought a stainless works Y-pipe for Hooker LT headers, The things flanges were not even lined up ..period!! I had to cut the flanges on the Y-pipe and add some pipe and reweld it all. My friend was unable to get anything else since he was tapped out so he lived with it after the surgery we had to do on it.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

The back pressure would have only been on one bank though. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bullshit on the y merge. backpressure is not good for our cars. Swap in a quality merge and you will see some gains
Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks like they got the welds way too hot and burned them through in that first pic. I would imagine those are welded by a robot, so their programmer needs to be kicked in the ***.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow those welds on the mufflers are absolutely awful! I cant even believe they made it out the door like that?

The fact that somebody did that job, looked at it, and left it for some reason is beyond me.

Quick Reply: poor attention to detail - kooks, stainless works