LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tired of spending money

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of spending money

After buying my car in sept i found out it had a jasper engine in it...all it does is give me problems. i have put $1500 in it already for block and gaskets blowing and seals leaking. then today the check engine light came on :l i am tired of wasting money on it. what should i do? should i buy a new engine, used engine, or keep fixing this one?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you've already spent the big money on the car. The check engine light could be on for any reason. It could be an 11 dollar sensor. Get it scanned and see whats wrong.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Welcome to the world of f bodies man. I know it's really discouraging to put a lot of money into repairs instead of performance, but there's not much you can do about auto repair except, well, repair. If I were you, I'd scan it and see what's up. It's always the little crap that keeps nickel and diming us, but keep chasing it, because it will get fixed as long as you're determined. As my automotive technology instructor said in high school, "don't let it kick your ***"
Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Ok thank you. i guess i will go see what the computer is saying. it just sucks because i want to buy heads and a cam and a stall and now i have to fix whatever is wrong with it now.

Well i was about to ride over to advance and see what the problem is and it started up then just died...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

If u like working on the car more than driving it... keep the lt
If u like driving the car more than workin on it...get a ls
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check for spark and fuel pressure if you don't know anyone with a scanner.

I know my local oreillys rents out scanners. you may want to check into that.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
LMFAO oh man. Well with any car that has replacment parts you are going to have to look long and hard as to why something leaks or fails. Pitting on sealing surfaces, grooves worn into parts, heads or deck not true. I always worry about these replacment engines because the quality in reman and manufacturing is questionable at best. If you have my kind of luck it may be a long road. I have considered many times just selling everything in my garage and being done with it because it is frustrating at times. BUT when the damn thing is running right, there is no better feeling in the world.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
LMFAO oh man. Well with any car that has replacment parts you are going to have to look long and hard as to why something leaks or fails. Pitting on sealing surfaces, grooves worn into parts, heads or deck not true. I always worry about these replacment engines because the quality in reman and manufacturing is questionable at best. If you have my kind of luck it may be a long road. I have considered many times just selling everything in my garage and being done with it because it is frustrating at times. BUT when the damn thing is running right, there is no better feeling in the world.
Lol I agree! Please don't take my post the wrong way because I have always liked lt1's!! Not trying to start a ls vs lt debate...both make great power! Imo the ls design is more reliable but they have issue aswell. Piston slap sucks!!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Bicycles are pretty low maintenance and alot easier to do wheelies with
Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Check for spark and fuel pressure if you don't know anyone with a scanner.

I know my local oreillys rents out scanners. you may want to check into that.
Autozone used to scan a car for free, check them also.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

As an LT car, I was able to put about 5k miles on mine in six years. We will see if it gets better as an LS.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call this bull ****, I own a ls1, and it having problem too, any car will having problem with age, if u dont want problem get a new car with warranty. wat this mother fker say above it bullshit
Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

I know what you mean I bought my car and a week later the Trans goes out get that fixed then something else goes wrong then something else it seems like a none stop cycle I've considered selling it more then once
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95 mystic ls
As an LT car, I was able to put about 5k miles on mine in six years. We will see if it gets better as an LS.
I got about 5k over the three years I had mine. Like someone mentioned above, when it ran, it ran sweet, but it seems it never ran right for more than 500 miles a pop. Hell, the engine light came on on the way from the dealership where I bought it.

Last week, I took my LS1 through a car wash and today I drove it in the rain - no probs!!!!

Having said all that, for some reason, I still miss it.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

For the money I put into this car I could have bought a ls shortness single cab 5.3 and get it into the 13s easy
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by killagt
I call this bull ****, I own a ls1, and it having problem too, any car will having problem with age, if u dont want problem get a new car with warranty. wat this mother fker say above it bullshit
lol eha go easy now, I don't know, today even new cars have problems or cheap designs that often leave you scratching your head at the pure stupidity and complexity they put into an other wise simple problem. Plus they cost more than my first house I bought back in 2000. I don't understand 30k for a family sedan. It used to be sports cars where somewhat affordable but today it just seems outrageous to pay 35k for car as fast as a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird was stock... for the most part. Makes no sense to me why all of these "safety items" can't be just Optional. Instead Heil Hitler (DOT and EPA… well the entire government) think they know what’s best using all the industry flunkies they can get their hands on. It's a PITA but as I have had it explained to me... If it was easy it would be too simple. lol I still scratch my head at that saying.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey if you break your 10 bolt, ls car or Lt car, your still out the time and money either way...
Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

^^^
Absolute blasphemy! No dollar ever spent on an ls car is wasted, off with your head!
Lol, j/k
Everything has problems, my firebid went almost 10k mi without major trouble, and that was the fuel pump, another 5k and my opti started taking a dump at 110k mi. You gotta figure these cars yhave not had an easy life, like a chrysler sebring, most have had the **** beat out of them, so 100k mi is moke like 160k. I am prolly going to get rid of the whole opti problem on my lt and go 24x, that solves soooo many reliability issues there IMO
Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I just replaced spark plugs and wires last month. the dealer ship that normally works on my car is going to come get it monday and i guess they will see what is going wrong. sometimes i think the dealer is messing up things so i will have to bring it back, but there is no where else for me to take it that has a decent shop. everywhere else is like in someones back yard and there garage is there shed. it sucks living in the country.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It doesnt matter how old or new..or if you like working on it or not, ****'s going to happen and you might aswell learn how to fix it when it does. I agree it's a pain in the ***..but after all the work it's a blast when it's running right..

Think about the money you save by doing your own work..

I took my Heads off and sent them to get ported..since it was down I took the T56 out and fixed a small issue in it..prob saved $300 in that, then the labor of pulling and bolting back up a set of Heads. It'll suprise ya how much money and time you save..you dont have to wait for some turd to finish his doobie so he can get to your car.

It's a GM product..if you arent burning or leaking something then it ran out..

Quick Reply: Tired of spending money