LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Still recommend vented cap with LTCC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still recommend vented cap with LTCC?

Vague intro, 93LT1 running 94 electronics and MSD vented cap. I was 4 hours away from home on Long Island when my wonderfully used opti decided to throw 4 codes no one like to look at. Thankfully I had my laptop with me to read the codes so I knew what I was going to be in for if I broke down. Anyways, got it home, and decided I didn't want to break down with this distributor, got a new one (although I didn't install it immediately...don't ask me y), and I dumped some cash into going the LTCC route. Got the LTCC kit, got the coils, and the car ran beautifully. I ended up running it that way for the rest of the summer since August 1st to all the way to October and she ran well.

Anyways, I want to get this opti changed out, and taking off the MSD cap and rotor (for sale cheap if interested), and need a recommendation. I am going to use a vented OEM cap that I have already cleaned up, and I'm going to seal up the 9 nipples for the plug wires with black RTV sealant. Should I try and run the vented opti hose harness or should I seal up the vent hole in the outer cap and be done with it. That's the main important question for me.

Also, I had no luck finding gaskets for the opti anywhere, tried advance auto, napa, car quest, chevy dealer, no one has gaskets for the opti, so going to be using black rtv sealant around the edges to seal the 2 caps together, figured lay the sealant, wait 30 minutes and then screw them all in. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for reading and responding.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

i sealed all vent holes and plug connections.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Teching In

How long have you had on the setup?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Teching In

C'mon, there has to be more people with either opinion on the matter or have an LTCC system and tell me what you were doing.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

good question, maybe 4 years
Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

That's what I wanted to hear. Anyone else want to chime in on just the concept of what I'm suggesting if you haven't done the LTCC swap yourself.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Teching In

While I got everyone looking at this thread, putting the opti back together when my screws come in the mail, I've already looked all over high and low for distributor seals. I've tried the dealer, online, napa, advance auto, car quest and everyone looks at me like I'm on crack when I try to describe an optispark to them. Anyways, going to be using black RTV to seal up my dummy opti for use with my LTCC. Should I go ahead and RTV the opti with a thin bead and also RTV the middle cover so that 2 or 3 days from now when I have screws to put it all together, the stuff will be cured like a rubber gasket and I can just tighten the covers down and be all done?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

i would put it on and let it set up for a few minutes before putting the cap on. need too make sure it adheres to the cap also.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Alright, didn't know if I tightened too much it might go too far into the cap but then again, i'm only using the 3" in the center of the opti for the sensor so it can't really hurt much i guess. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I RTV the out sides of mine with black RTV but I have no clue where to get the cab seals uless you buy a cap.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Yea I don't want to but a cap for $10 worth of gaskets. Not exactly sure why noone has them. I just got done taking out the old ones, the opti to middle cap was so hard and brittle, i'm guessing from direct heat, and the middle to cap was not soft, but cracking and drying out. They were used for a reason yet noone has them to replace later, I don't even think they come with the cap and rotor kits you get from chain stores.

Quick Reply: Still recommend vented cap with LTCC?