LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension

I just dropped the engine out of my car (blown head gasket) so i have the front suspension sitting there, but im not really familiar with working on suspensions. Any suggestions on what to look at to replace in the front suspension?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

All bushings and ball joints. Keep the lower arms stock but get the Del-A-Lum bushings from Global West for the uppers.

Don't forget the sway bar bushings and end links.

If you disassemble the shocks & springs, you'll need need top plates and bushing plates. Nothing too costly but as you already have it out of the car, this is a good time to do this stuff.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
All bushings and ball joints. Keep the lower arms stock but get the Del-A-Lum bushings from Global West for the uppers.

Don't forget the sway bar bushings and end links.

If you disassemble the shocks & springs, you'll need need top plates and bushing plates. Nothing too costly but as you already have it out of the car, this is a good time to do this stuff.
Good advice, put I personally went with MOOG bushings on all the front Uppers and Lowers and the car handles amazing. I think del-a-lum ride like poly's and personally I would never put poly bushings up front as it will be rough as hell. Excellent control but rough ride. I decided not to go that route on mine as my ride is already pretty rough with my Eibach pros installed.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM

any opinions on an energy suspension kit?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgb5129
any opinions on an energy suspension kit?
Not a good idea for the front suspension if the car is a daily driver or moderate cruiser - if it's a track car that is a different story. As stated before - polyurethane bushings (energy suspension is poly) makes for a very rough suspension/ride when installed up front in the upper and lower a-arms. I'd only recc going with Poly in the rear (rear LCA's), tq arm mounts and sway bar end links (front and back). Go with good quality rubber OE bushing up front like MOOG as they are excellent quality.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM

alright thanks.. and i got new ball joints, tie rod ends, and a rack and pinion bushing. anything else to look at as far as tightening up the steering?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgb5129
alright thanks.. and i got new ball joints, tie rod ends, and a rack and pinion bushing. anything else to look at as far as tightening up the steering?
Rag joint eliminator:

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/

Doing the CAB's you will notice the greatest improvement. Those suckers sag over time and when I installed mine the new one's raised the car 1/2inch. Even tho the car only has 49K on the clock they still were worn out with age.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Agreed. Poly stuff can cause problems and a rough ride.

Moog makes good stuff.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension