LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headers and X pipe just put on..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and X pipe just put on..

Now I have a little problem, when the guy was putting in the header on the driver side, apparently the coolant temp sensor broke off. (it's the one right under the header in the block right) and on the passenger side..the oil presure sending unit? broke off too. Well now I've gone to o'reillys and Autozone and they gave me those exact sensors, but when the went to put it on, they didn't fit. So...are these dealership items? the connection wouldnt fit in the Coolant temp sensor they gave me. My gauges for the coolant nor the oil (it's way off) don't work. Car turns fine, no codes flashing (suprising to me) as i was driving it, it sputtered.. felt like it wanted to turn off sort of. it made it home as I'm not too too far from the shop. Any ideas on where to get these sensors? Should I ask him for the money to fix them?

and those Borla XR-1 muffler quiet THE HELL out of the car...does it get louder and higher RPMs? Although I just went from no mufflers at all to Borla XR-1's... I didn't think it would quiet the car that much.

Thanks for the help Guys
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Yes absolutely you should ask the guy for the money to replace them. He should have replaced them himself before you ever took your car from his shop. If you are willing to do the leg work to get the sensors and the wrench turning to install them the least the guy can do is give you the money for the sensors. If he knew he broke them I can't imagine he would have a problem doing at least that much. I can't help you with the part numbers, I am sure there are several here that can. Since you asked for opinions as to if you should ask him to pay for the sensors, there's my opinion.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the one in the driver side cylinder head is the coolant temp sensor. where is the one on the passenger side located at? if you check shbox.com theres a list of electrical connectors and such. link http://shbox.com/1/Parts.htm . your local parts house should be able to cross the numbers and get you the correct sensor.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Your lucky i saw this thread, not many people know this. But unfortunately i had the same problem, i broke mine as well, when you go to autozone you need the 92 one. they used it in 93 and 94 i believe idk why, but thats your problem.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

pics!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

I will post them asap, also post race vids BEFORE mods and will post some vids after mods, some people who've wooped my *** that i want seconds from haha
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

And thanks z28dc, ill look into it man, i miss my car..as for the other sensor, it has to be towards the back of the block, i could barely see it. Its on the passenger side. Nkt right under the header but below it. My oil pressure gauge is way off
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

FWIW, I did the same thing with the temperature sensor on the driver's side. They gave me the one that threads in by the water pump and not by the exhaust ports. Mine is a '97 though.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

isn't that the knock sensor on the passenger side? as far as i know on the 93s the oil pressure sensor is right above the oil filter, screwed into the block, from what i hear it's not unheard of for those to get broken during header installs aswell.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by afterburner82
FWIW, I did the same thing with the temperature sensor on the driver's side. They gave me the one that threads in by the water pump and not by the exhaust ports. Mine is a '97 though.
Yup I was just gonna post the same thing until I saw your post...you probably got the wrong sensor aka the one under the water pump...I believe the sensor under the headers is for your gauges and the one under the water pump is for your pcm

Originally Posted by Blue85350
isn't that the knock sensor on the passenger side? as far as i know on the 93s the oil pressure sensor is right above the oil filter, screwed into the block, from what i hear it's not unheard of for those to get broken during header installs aswell.
Yeah the knock sensor is on the passenger side towards the back of the motor and yes the oil pressure sending unit on the early lt1s were on the drivers side near the oil filter and then got moved to behind the intake manifold in the later years

Last edited by transamws6_97; 04-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

But those sensors are what I need right? Both gauges are way off and the connection for the Coolant temp sensor didn't fit into the one I bought from Autozone. I didn't try to force it but it never went in. I'll post a pic of the connection when I get home, I'm at work right now and we're slammed.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Had an exhaust shop put my headers and x pipe in and they broke those. They replaced them before I took the car back.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

I broke my sensor on the driver side head on my 97. You can get it from the dealer ship or you can use the one you got by removing the wire from the plug and putting it on one of the 2 barbs or cut off that plug and find a plug like the one from the water pump sensor and splice it in. The 2 barb sensors are the same they just use a ground barb in there because the water pump has limited contact to bolts that lead to the block for a good ground. As for the oil pressure switch I just bought one from autozone and it fit fine. you may need to make sure the threads didn't break off in the block it screews into. I would have the shop fix it though. Thats what you paid them to do. Any monkey can break **** while putting parts on. I'm living proof lol.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just buy from the dealer. Avoid all the bs. Shbox has info on who to buy from at good prices.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

When you go to autozone ask for the "Coolant Temperature Switch" the Coolant Temperature Sensor and Switch on their computers look identical but like you said...the connections are different, best bet is to take in the broken part and match it up before buying..a lot of people have this confusion so here are the links:

Coolant Temperature Switch:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
Coolant Temperature Sensor:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-izlc6Z91shd
Old 04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Had the same thing happen to me on my install the other day. it was replaced before i got the car back though...

About the mufflers, if you want loud, get dynomax bullets. I have them and ive been setting off car alarms ever since i got the car back...
Old 04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

It was the coolant temp switch, thanks fellas now this oil pressure sending unti is a bitch above the filter! its pissing me off!! and i dont even know where the connecter is!

Quick Reply: Headers and X pipe just put on..