LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 ss LT1. I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ss LT1. I need help!!

I have a 1997 Camaro ss LT1 and when I drive the car easy it runs fine. But if I get on it at all and give it to much gas it starts skipping really bad. I don't know it anyone has had that problem or not but if you have could you let me know how to fix it or at least lead me in the right direction.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should check the fuel pressure. How old are on the wires and spark plugs? It is either ignition or fuel related. Could be the optispark; actually I would say its the optispark if the fuel pressure is good and your wires and plugs do not have too many miles on them.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks. I don't know exactly how old the wires and plugs are. I got the car from my brother and haven't had it long, but I will look into that and keep you updated if it don't fix it.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Yeah stumble during acceleration sounds like an Ignition problem. If the Opti is bad its sending the wrong information to the ECM/PCM. Scan for codes before you do any work or buy anything.

If the car throws a 16 code, then it could be that the optical sensor in the distributor is bad, which in turn can cause bad hesitation and stumble.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM

I didn't have any time to work on the car today but when I was driving it earlier I accidently killed it going up a really steep hill that was rough so I had to go really slow and it wouldn't crank back up for a minute. So it makes me lean a little more towards the fuel pump. I will be working on it Sunday though, well I plan to anyway so I will keep yall updated. I apprieciate the info!

Nice looking car Tampa. How do you find out what number it is from SLP?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

does it get worse as it warms up thats what my car was doing and it turned out to be the opti.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 PM

I think it may get worse. I don't know. I have only had it about a week and drove it 2 or 3 times. It drive almost perfect when I take it easy. It will skip a little sometimes. But if I put it under any kind of a load it is dead and starts spitting and sputtering and backfires sometimes.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Well scan the car before you pull it apart. Hopefully it will just be one code, but you could have a couple combined problems as well. But since you just got the car, a good basic tune up (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, belt, plugs and wires, coolant flush and refill etc..) couldnt hurt in addition to fixing the actual issue.

As far as the build number goes on your car. We called SLP and asked them to run a quick vin number check on my car. I gave them my vin, they checked their records, and then told us the build number. Took less than five minutes. You can also order a "birth certificate" for like $50 or $60, if thats something you want.

Quick Reply: 97 ss LT1. I need help!!