LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help settle an argument, head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help settle an argument, head gasket?

Two friends of mine who are also fbody fans, are arguing the cause for engine coolant overflowing from the coolant overflow tank and making a puddle under the passenger front tire. The car is a lt1 camaro. Myself along with my other friend thought it would be the head gasket no problem. The other guy disagrees but can't exactly elaborate Is there ANYTHING else that would cause this? My understanding is the car in question was left idling, turned off then it over flowed out the coolant overflow tank? not much but still. Besides that the car does run fine, doesn't over heat or smoke according to the story i heard. Rad cap, cooling system pressure, anything else that could cause this? Sorry is this is all jumbled up.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a rad cap to me, but I suppose it's anywhere there is a leak in the system. Replace the cap 1st, that's the cheapest.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it is leaking from the coolant overflow.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrybalRage
Sounds like a rad cap to me, but I suppose it's anywhere there is a leak in the system. Replace the cap 1st, that's the cheapest.
Hope so, nice car from the pictures i saw

Originally Posted by sempire
Sounds like it is leaking from the coolant overflow.
Yes, but right from the overflow cap, right over the top being pushed out.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds exactly like the symptoms I had with a bad cap. Would be fine till I shut the car down, then it would start to boil into the overflow tank and spill out the cap.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

I guess it depends at what temp your car is overflowing.
If you had a blown head gasket (or a bad waterpump, or any number of other issues)
and your cooling system was overheating, it would pop a good radiator cap and spill out the overflow.
If this is happening at normal operating temps, it could be the cap.
You could always do a pressure test ... but caps are cheap.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Cap or reservoir and steam pipe hoses reversed (seems like the latter has been happening a lot lately).
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a head gasket like stated you will see other signs. Water almost always finds it's way to the oil, leaking out the side of the head, temp spikes,ect. I vote cap.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

THE DEBATE CONTINUES, opinions please. Today to further investigate we drained my friends oil. Now i know the quality isn't great but photo's provided. To me this looks milky, but then again maybe just worn out oil? The cap was replaced and temp is fine, no over flow either. Also the oil cap was SPOTLESS, no residue there. There would be other signs if the gasket blew correct? possibly just not driving the car long enough on trips?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

The bubbles aren't a good sign either. Agitate it with your finger and if you see bubbles or if it behaves like coolant/water, then it's coolant/water.

What you can do is rent a coolant pressure tester at any parts store. Pressurize the system and note if pressure is lost quickly. Take all spark plugs out to do this. If system keeps pressure then leave system pressurized (no more than 18psi). After awhile hand crank the engine and see if coolant spills out of any spark plug holes.

Quick Reply: Help settle an argument, head gasket?