LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Newb here, Can you tell me if this looks right

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb here, Can you tell me if this looks right

I have a blown headgasket, so i figured i would atleast get started on the tear down and see if i can save me more head work from a machine shop by cleaning things up till i get the cash.

All i got to today was pulling the valve covers off, i ran into a snag due to not having deep sockets for the exhaust manifolds from the bottom.

Pics are below can you give me a heads up on what you think, also right now i have towels covering the rockers and valve springs, Can i spray fogging oil on them or should i leave it alone or put something else on.

Thanks everyone
Driver side

Passenger Side

Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

did it over heat bad causing the gasket to let go? if it over heated how hot for how long and how many times?
BTW cleaning them wont net deals at a machine shop they have to blast and clean em' anyway...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got the car so i dont know its previous history with it being overheated, thanks for taking the time to post, looks like your the only one.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You are asking a very generalized question. What does anyone think about what? If you have confirmed it is a blown head gasket then yes, tearing it down is the right answer. Take the heads to a machine shop to have them pressure tested and to see if they are warped. If the car is outside then put trash bags over the engine so water does not get into the oil valley. No need to keep the rockers lubricated unless you intend on leaving them outside in the elements. Just make sure to use either a 30wt oil or assy lube on all valvetrain contact points when assembling valvetrain.
Is this what you're looking for?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You are asking a very generalized question. What does anyone think about what? If you have confirmed it is a blown head gasket then yes, tearing it down is the right answer. Take the heads to a machine shop to have them pressure tested and to see if they are warped. If the car is outside then put trash bags over the engine so water does not get into the oil valley. No need to keep the rockers lubricated unless you intend on leaving them outside in the elements. Just make sure to use either a 30wt oil or assy lube on all valvetrain contact points when assembling valvetrain.
Is this what you're looking for?
Yes sorry for the general question, everything will be left outside for now except the valve covers, i plan on cleaning those up. Quick question, will i have to adjust the valves, i dont quite understand this part from the haynes manual? Will i need a "screw-type spring compressor". Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

No need to adjust the valves as you are going to be pulling the heads to take them to the machine shop. You have the valve covers off to clean and that is fine but cleaning the heads yourself won't reduce your bill at the machine shop as was mentioned already. No matter how clean you try to get them they will have to blast them clean to check them for warping and cracks. Keep it covered to reduce any further damage from the elements but your next step would be pull the rocker arms, pushrods and heads. Your machine shop may give you a discount if you strip the heads down to the castings which means taking off the valve springs, valves, valve seals and any sensors and some machine shops will not do the work unless you do strip them down. Talk to your machine shop and see what they want you to do and what they say you can do to save them time and therefore save you money. Other than that it is a general question with many possible answers as SS RRR said. You may need to replace your valves or at least have them inspected if you are not sure what to look for and the same goes with the rocker arms, pushrod, valve springs and all the other components so yeah it's kind of a hard question to answer as so much is left open.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

quit screwing with them take them to a pro before u screw up, at least the valve covers will be safe..
Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like just some sludge build up in there............as for machine work on the heads what do you plan on doing to them??? id just continue the tear down and when u do pull the heads and intake make sure its on a day where you have time to put it back together......DO NOT leave it outside and open in the elements rust builds up quick on cylinder walls when out in the humid air........
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
DO NOT leave it outside and open in the elements rust builds up quick on cylinder walls when out in the humid air........
That is a good point and something I forgot to mention in my earlier post, however it is perfectly fine to keep the block w/out the heads outside as long as the block is covered in plastic and all crucial bare surfaces (front/rear intake mating surfaces, block decks and cylinder walls) oiled and checked every few days to ensure surfaces are coated.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you guys for the advice, all im looking for is to get the car up and running, Im a total newb as you can tell, so i figure i dont need to go porting anything that isnt running right to begin with. Anything you suggest i say when i go to a shop. I dont wanna get screwed.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See how bad they are warped, see if they have been machined before, I would get all new valves, springs, lifters, cam, pushrods and rockers. The stamped steel jobs make for a good door chock.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
See how bad they are warped, see if they have been machined before, I would get all new valves, springs, lifters, cam, pushrods and rockers. The stamped steel jobs make for a good door chock.
I will not be doing this so i hope its not completely necessary. Im sure it would be good insurance for the future, but i really need this car up and running, our apartment complex doesnt sit well with cars that havent been moved in awhile.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can anyone help me out, i want to buy a tap and die set, im probably gonna get one from harbor freight but i have no idea what to buy. Anyone help me out please