LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Keith Black Forged Pistons - Why No Likey?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keith Black Forged Pistons - Why No Likey?

So I speced out some pistons for my turbo block build, and I came across a set of Keith Black forged pistons that would work well. A ton of F-Body people on my FB said Keith Blacks aren't any good... why?

Anyone have further details as to why they no likey? I am going with the forged ones, not hypereutetic obviously with this being a turbo car. Thanks for your input.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-07-2021)
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap material. Way better choices for not much more coin.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
So I speced out some pistons for my turbo block build, and I came across a set of Keith Black forged pistons that would work well. A ton of F-Body people on my FB said Keith Blacks aren't any good... why?
KB sells a lot of different parts with many different applications, most people that run their pistons, for the price savings. JE or Wiesco for me that's it.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

While people like to say Kieth Black makes cheap pistons, for a stock rebuild they work fine. However saying Kieth Black doesn't know how to make quality products is just ignorant, he is one of the only suppliers for Top Alcohol Aluminum Hemi Blocks. These are very high end products. The cheaper pistons that he makes are good for their price, but if you are trying to go cheap on pistons in a turbo build, that might not be the best place to save money.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5/64ths 1st and 2nd rings
the material is actually comparable to others that are used regularly.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by noice
While people like to say Kieth Black makes cheap pistons, for a stock rebuild they work fine. However saying Kieth Black doesn't know how to make quality products is just ignorant, he is one of the only suppliers for Top Alcohol Aluminum Hemi Blocks. These are very high end products. The cheaper pistons that he makes are good for their price, but if you are trying to go cheap on pistons in a turbo build, that might not be the best place to save money.
correct...........
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Whenever I need a question answered I like to take a look at the profiles of the people who answer my question. Sometimes that speaks volumes. That goes for any board or facebook for the OP. If I say I need some feedback on Eagle cranks and someone chimes in with "they break all the time", and I look and all they have is a stock shortblock Caprice, I would question their accuracy. Then a reputable machine shop that builds motors on a daily basis says Eagle cranks are fine if they are checked and machined correctly and that they push their cast cranks to well over 700hp, I would tend to agree with the firsthand knowledge of the machine shop.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
Whenever I need a question answered I like to take a look at the profiles of the people who answer my question. Sometimes that speaks volumes. That goes for any board or facebook for the OP. If I say I need some feedback on Eagle cranks and someone chimes in with "they break all the time", and I look and all they have is a stock shortblock Caprice, I would question their accuracy. Then a reputable machine shop that builds motors on a daily basis says Eagle cranks are fine if they are checked and machined correctly and that they push their cast cranks to well over 700hp, I would tend to agree with the firsthand knowledge of the machine shop.
Amen!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

. If I say I need some feedback on Eagle cranks and someone chimes in with "they break all the time", and I look and all they have is a stock shortblock Caprice, I would question their accuracy. .
unless it is AI and a junkyard short block...everything else is crap to that know it all

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
Amen!
and a thank you Jesus
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems you have been sweating over piston choice for quite some time. Give CP a call. You will never have any doubt that the pistons are the best they can be.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

whenever i need a question answered i like to take a look at the profiles of the people who answer my question. Sometimes that speaks volumes. That goes for any board or facebook for the op. If i say i need some feedback on eagle cranks and someone chimes in with "they break all the time", and i look and all they have is a stock shortblock caprice, i would question their accuracy. Then a reputable machine shop that builds motors on a daily basis says eagle cranks are fine if they are checked and machined correctly and that they push their cast cranks to well over 700hp, i would tend to agree with the firsthand knowledge of the machine shop.
aahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahaha hhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah ahha
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 AM
8 Second Club

Arias
AutoTec/RaceTec
CP/Carillo
Clevite/Federal-Mogul
Badger
BME
Diamond
DSS Racing
GM
Howards Cams
JE/SRP
Kieth Black
Lunati
Mahle
Manley
Probe
Ross
Sealed Power
Speed Pro
Summit Racing
Trick Flow
TRW
Venolia
Wiesco

I got bored so I typed up a list of Piston Manufacturers. I bet a couple of the names I listed are part of the same company. I didn't realize how many there are for Chevrolet engines and I know I'm missing some of them. Also I bet most of these companies don't cast their own product.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 AM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by joshh123
aahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahaha hhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah ahha
What the problem is?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, but I'm not talking their hypereutetic pistons, I'm talking their forged stuff I'm sweating it because it is a vital piece of my build. So is their forged stuff okay, or no? And believe me, I take heed in who responds. LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Don't know about the other piston, I have Manley pro light piston in my stroker with a disc. Everything is working fine and got great power and still adding power.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Okay, but I'm not talking their hypereutetic pistons, I'm talking their forged stuff I'm sweating it because it is a vital piece of my build. So is their forged stuff okay, or no? And believe me, I take heed in who responds. LOL
like i said on fb jen.......for a heavy forced induction application I wouldn't go any other way than diamond or je/srp.........again just my opinion........I've built quite a few LS/LT NA and FI motors with both of these manufacturers and never have had an issue......not to mention the build quality and attention to detail is excellent as well as their machining tolerances.... i can help u find what you need just need the compression info to so i can get the math right
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right around 9:1 is what I want. Based on the availability of pistons, I may just go 355 versus stock bore.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM
9 Second Club

Right around 9:1 is what I want. Based on the availability of pistons, I may just go 355 versus stock bore.
thats you're best bet......bore it .030 that way you can get the correct finish on the walls.......make sure the tolerances are correct on roundness.....make sure you get the correct piston to wall clearance and your avaliablity on pistons grows big time..........first step to that is find the piston you want to run and get the diameter on it....then you can tell the machine shop you use what u want for a final bore........whats the head cc and is the block decked at all??
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's stock deck, on stock 643 castings for now. Next year I will get them ported out. At this point I just want to throw some rods and pistons in the block, and reseal my turbo and call it a day.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

I agree with Mike. Diamond or JE/SRP is what I would use.

Quick Reply: Keith Black Forged Pistons - Why No Likey?