LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 lt1 starts, runs for 3 secs and dies ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 95 lt1 starts, runs for 3 secs and dies ??

Hey guys, im new to the forum i and have an 80 trans am that i swapped a 95 lt1 into, it was running fine last week, now its runs for 2 or 3 secs then dies. The only thing i did to the car since it was running was unplug the pcm without disconnecting the battery, and i noticed the plug on the coil was off while i was cranking it over. I thought the plug was the problem but it wasnt. Do you guys think i coulda screwed the computer up??? Is there a way to tell?? I know its not the vats system already for sure. Your help is appreciated, great forum by the way!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1
Hey guys, im new to the forum i and have an 80 trans am that i swapped a 95 lt1 into, it was running fine last week, now its runs for 2 or 3 secs then dies. The only thing i did to the car since it was running was unplug the pcm without disconnecting the battery, and i noticed the plug on the coil was off while i was cranking it over. I thought the plug was the problem but it wasnt. Do you guys think i coulda screwed the computer up??? Is there a way to tell?? I know its not the vats system already for sure. Your help is appreciated, great forum by the way!
Sure sounds like VATS. How is it bypassed?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club

its not vats, i bypassed it with a resistor, 237 ohms actually, i did it when the engine was in the donor car so i know it worked and i replaced the resistor with a new one just in case. its bypassed permanantly, i used to do remote starters so i have tons of experience bypassing them.
i only disconnected the batt for a few secs, i'l disco it for 30 mins, maybe il get lucky
you can keep the ideas coming....
what are the odds that i wiped out the computer??? hope i didnt....
Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

its not vats, i bypassed it with a resistor, 237 ohms actually, i did it when the engine was in the donor car so i know it worked and i replaced the resistor with a new one just in case. its bypassed permanantly, i used to do remote starters so i have tons of experience bypassing them.
i only disconnected the batt for a few secs, i'l disco it for 30 mins, maybe il get lucky
you can keep the ideas coming....
what are the odds that i wiped out the computer??? hope i didnt....
Have you scanned for codes to see if the PCM is getting the fuel enable signal? Using a resistor bypass does not guarantee that it will get there. In a swap configuration, I think most people would have it programmed out or use a 50 Hz bypass module and not bother with a VATS module (because you generally do not need the starter disable).
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

Well i discoed the batt for an hour stil the same thing ??? I dont have the aldl connecter wired in yet ( still tryin to find a diagram ) i did however check the fuel pump wire with a test light, it stayed lit the whole time. Ive used resistors before and they always worked, i just measured the chip on the key and matched it with one of the 15 (?) possible resistors.
Maybe il search on here about that 50 hz bypass module, i never heard of that??
Until then any other suggestions??
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
9 Second Club

Well wait a minute if it is vats, it only cuts out the fuel and not spark right???? So spraying starting fluid or wiring the fuel pump to ignition should work????
Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Well wait a minute if it is vats, it only cuts out the fuel and not spark right???? So spraying starting fluid or wiring the fuel pump to ignition should work????
It kills the injector signal. Wiring the pump on won't help. Odd that all the experience you say you have with VATS and don't know about the fuel enable signal. That's half of what VATS does.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Is your intake all hooked up, as in maf connected to the intake or is it plugged in but not connected to the intake? If your maf is plugged in and not connected to the intake it will do the same as what you have also.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
it kills the injector signal. Wiring the pump on won't help. Odd that all the experience you say you have with vats and don't know about the fuel enable signal. That's half of what vats does.
i said i have experience bypassing it doing remote car starters which was ten years ago also. Im just tryin to get my car runnin dude, never claimed to be a know it all....
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Jr 79 yeah its all connected, checked it twice, thanks man
Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe a dying fuel pump?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95 mystic ls
Maybe a dying fuel pump?
well its only a couple years old, its an external mount that i bought from summit, its only been turned on maybe 20 times. this is a project car that i havent even driven yet. fuel pressure seems good at the regulator, the run/turn off time is extremely consistent, so idk??? im thinkin to just send the computer out to somebody to check it, it needs to be tuned for a lil more performance anyways i guess since theres headers, no emissions, no ac, remove vats etc...like i said idk, this is frustrating
Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

UPDATE, ITS FIXED!! I WAS DOING PIN OUTS FROM LT1 SWAP.COM ( EXCELLENT SITE BTW) AND ONE OF THE WIRES LISTED AS NOT NEEDED WAS THE BLUE FUEL ENABLE WIRE #29 I BELIEVE. I GUESS HE LISTED THIS WIRE FOR THE GUYS WHO HAVE THE VATS SYSTEM TURNED OFF IN THE COMPUTER, ADD A 6 PACK OF CORONAS TO THE MIX AND WELL........THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS IT PROMPTED ME TO REALLY DIG IN TO THE VATS SYSTEM AND GO OVER EVERYTHING I DID, SO THANKS AGAIN!! NOW ITS OFF TO THE SPRAY BOOTH YAAYYYY!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

i said i have experience bypassing it doing remote car starters which was ten years ago also. Im just tryin to get my car runnin dude, never claimed to be a know it all....
... I know its not the vats system already for sure...

Sorry, I was just going by your previous comments. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 AM
9 Second Club

Shbox, its cool bro, im glad i figured it out too, believe me! Thx again everyone!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it, I need paint also. Im doing a LQ4swap with turbo, almost there, check out some of my pic's.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Millsmotorvation, thanks, oh dont worry ive been keepin an ey on you . I had an 81 pace car about 15 years ago and loved it, never should've sold it. I read your thread and i'm watching, i wana turbo mine someday too, but right now i gota get some paint on it and some miles too! Had the car for 4 years now and have never driven it.... I really wanted to do a G.N. turbo motor but theyre a lil pricey and well the lt1 was free

Quick Reply: 95 lt1 starts, runs for 3 secs and dies ??