LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

1996 Formula A4 with the following mods: 3.42's, comp eng drag rear shocks, heater hose mod, ls1 front brakes, air and egr delete, eBay lt headers and open y pipe, Msd wires, ngk tr55 plugs, power steering delete and Ac delete, low mount alternator, ls1 RAM air, ls1 steering shaft,n along wit new opti and cooling system. I noticed that the oil pan gasket and front seal were leaking and want to get it taken care of. I wanted to know what you guys think would be worth doing while having the motor out or should I just tackle the leak with the motor still in there?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it an automatic or stick car? From what I've heard, the auto cars can have the pan gasket changed without removing the engine or moving back the tranny, while the stick cars need to have the tranny slid back, because the 6 speed and bellhousing is a little bit larger, and takes up precious room.

Having said that, my '96 Z-28 is an auto car, and I've dropped the pan out twice, over the years. It's no "day at the beach", but it's far from the worst job I've ever done....
Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like time for a cam swap...
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Well it is an A4 and I an still trying to find a how to thread on it for some assistance on the install while motor is in the car. I am planning on a cam but I just want to take the car out for the first time since I bought it
Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Depending on what kind of "y-pipe" you have on the car, that will have to be removed, along with disconnecting the battery and removing the starter. The motor mount bolts will have to be removed, and the tranny mount bolt loosened.

Loosen the oil pan bolts, then lift the motor from the front end, until the intake manifold is barely touching the cowl, then remove the pan bolts, and the pan should just make it out. You might have to rotate the crankshaft, in order to get the "throws" of the two front cylinders in the "up" position, for additional room for the pan to slip out.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

So if I'm doing this along with changing the front seal, should I just change out the timing cover gasket while I'm at it?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xposure
So if I'm doing this along with changing the front seal, should I just change out the timing cover gasket while I'm at it?
you can but that would mean alot more work. Have to pull the opti, waterpump, and crankshaft pully/hub.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
you can but that would mean alot more work. Have to pull the opti, waterpump, and crankshaft pully/hub.
dont u have to pull the hub to change the front seal? might as well pull it and change all three seals and gasket

and sneak in a cam
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

If all goes well I will try throwing in a cam by next month but I need to fix this first since I want to see wat it will run right now
Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DisturbedTA
dont u have to pull the hub to change the front seal? might as well pull it and change all three seals and gasket

and sneak in a cam

Yes, you do have to pull the crank hub to change the seal, but as previously mentioned, you then have to pull the water pump, Opti, maybe the cooling fans, IIRC, and finally the front cover. Then put it ALL back together and bleed the cooling system......
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Well I picked up a timing gasket set from AZ and replaced the front seal put the hub back on and started it up. Everything was good but then a minute later I see the oil build up around the hub and gush out along with some more oil coming from a little spot on the side of the timing cover. Should I buy the repair sleeve out that they sell?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't bother with the repair sleeve. If your hub's "sealing surface" is that worn, I'd simply buy the Power Bond replacement hub. I have one on my car right now, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't too expensive.

If, however, you'd like to try a Fluidampr, I have one for sale....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Why oil leak?....because race car....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I Jus recently bought that one from a member on here so how can I tell its worn out? Or is the leak the determining factor?

trilkb what do you mean?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

.....because race cars leak oil.

It's like the somewhat old joke, "Why wasn't the computer invented in England?"

.....because their engineers couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil!!