LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Jet Hot vs Hooker

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jet Hot vs Hooker

I am looking at headers and am considering going with Jethots instead of the Ebay headers I was considering buying. I was under the impression that Jet hot was just coated Hookers. However, WS6Store has the Jethots and Hookers listed seperate and the Hookers, uncoated, cost more than the Jethots.

I was going to go with the Ebay headers but Ive heard they are made out of very thin material and Im scared the welds will eventually start leaking and that they will put out a lot more heat than the Jethots that are Ceramic coated.

Heres the links.

Jethots-
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2648

Hookers-
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=293
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Jet Hots were/are coated hookers, albeit I think Jet Hot may have made some changes to them, not sure what they were, it's been years since those came out but they were big news when they did. It's similar to the old FLPs and Dynatechs, the FLPs were based off the Dynatechs but with smog fittings and FLPs own Y pipe. The Jet Hots are based off the Hookers with what ever changes Jet hot did in addition to the coating.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

I have the Jet Hots from back when they first came out in 03? I'm 99% sure Jet Hot makes their own header, but it's basically a copy of the Hookers. Mine are still in really good shape with a little surface rust on the bottoms. I was thinking about selling them and getting a set of Ebay Stainless headers but don't want to deal with any of the fitment problems. My Jet Hots fit great so I'm going to have them recoated which costs about $150.00
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The flange is thicker on the Jet-hot and the welds are way better nice and neat...and you can't beat the warranty for the coating as well...Jethots all the way.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a set of used hookers, and they fit great. I was terrified of installing them after all the header threads on here, and when i was done, i wondered what all the fuss was about.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I didnt realize Hooker Y pipes costed so much. Are there any options for a Y pipe besides the hooker? I know I can get one custom made but my exhaust guy charges out the *** to bend 3" pipe.

EDIT: Anyone running the Y pipe that 6 Liter Eater is selling for $80?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Wow, I didnt realize Hooker Y pipes costed so much. Are there any options for a Y pipe besides the hooker? I know I can get one custom made but my exhaust guy charges out the *** to bend 3" pipe.

EDIT: Anyone running the Y pipe that 6 Liter Eater is selling for $80?
even for the jethot's you have to run the Hooker Y...You can opt for a custom one made by your shop..but I would not run anyother Y that's not for that header..
Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 AM
TECH Regular

I had a custom Y made back when I first installed the Jet Hots and it didn't flow for ****. It had sharp crimped bends and the merge, well the merge should haven’t been considered a merge, more of a collision of exhaust gases. I got lucky and picked up a Jet Hot coated Hooker Y-pipe on here a few years ago for $125, fits and flows much better.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue85350
I bought a set of used hookers, and they fit great. I was terrified of installing them after all the header threads on here, and when i was done, i wondered what all the fuss was about.
That's because 99.9% of all those threads are about bargain bin headers from e-bay. Just be careful. If you go into one of those threads and tell them they got what they paid for some may lose their minds and go ape **** crazy trying to justify their purchase.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

only issue I've run into, is my headers were coated by jet hot, but I went to send them in for warranty 'cause they were flaking down at the Y-pipe. There was a little back and forth, saying i needed to send them to arizona speed and marine, who would then forward them on because AZS&M was the original purchaser etc etc. Well, I called AZ they said no problemo, just give them a little to get it set up and then i could send them to jet hot once they got the paperwork all finished up. Got a call later that day, everythign was a go, I double checked with Jet hot, they said A-Ok. Sent it in, and thats when the issues started. All of a sudden it wasnt ok, it was AZS&Ms problem not theirs, I forwarded them the emails between all 3 of us and took complaining to a few people for them to even look at the headers. Then they said the warranty was void because they were "over temp'd" I asked em how they could tell that, they said they went from shiny to dull, I said they did that from the moment they were put on. Basically jet hot said get lost, I told em the reason I was sending them in was the flaking, which is happening on the Y-Pipe assy. and that was still bright and shiny where it was still on. And that turned into a week long battle. They finally gave in but after a lot of headaches, and I just thought id let you know jet hot doesnt do a great job of standing behind their product. And the tactic of everything is ok until they have your stuff in their hands, and then trying to sell you the coating that should be warrantied, and when I refused was told this is the last warranty recoat I get...even if they rust out is a little shady to me as well. And oh yeah, when I got them I could already see a few rust spots starting to show through at the joints. so, just an FYI
Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projektnitemare13
only issue I've run into, is my headers were coated by jet hot, but I went to send them in for warranty 'cause they were flaking down at the Y-pipe. There was a little back and forth, saying i needed to send them to arizona speed and marine, who would then forward them on because AZS&M was the original purchaser etc etc. Well, I called AZ they said no problemo, just give them a little to get it set up and then i could send them to jet hot once they got the paperwork all finished up. Got a call later that day, everythign was a go, I double checked with Jet hot, they said A-Ok. Sent it in, and thats when the issues started. All of a sudden it wasnt ok, it was AZS&Ms problem not theirs, I forwarded them the emails between all 3 of us and took complaining to a few people for them to even look at the headers. Then they said the warranty was void because they were "over temp'd" I asked em how they could tell that, they said they went from shiny to dull, I said they did that from the moment they were put on. Basically jet hot said get lost, I told em the reason I was sending them in was the flaking, which is happening on the Y-Pipe assy. and that was still bright and shiny where it was still on. And that turned into a week long battle. They finally gave in but after a lot of headaches, and I just thought id let you know jet hot doesnt do a great job of standing behind their product. And the tactic of everything is ok until they have your stuff in their hands, and then trying to sell you the coating that should be warrantied, and when I refused was told this is the last warranty recoat I get...even if they rust out is a little shady to me as well. And oh yeah, when I got them I could already see a few rust spots starting to show through at the joints. so, just an FYI
Thanks for the info. I am not very worried about the coating because I live in the south where there is no salt on the roads. Im actually looking at pacesetter now because I can get them cheaper than the jet hots. Ive ran painted pacesetter for close to two years with only a little bit of rust started popping up on the bottom of the collectors. They installed very easily and didnt leak. I just didnt like the plug access with them.

I wish the Ebay headers would have came out about two years ago. Then I could see how they last. lol. They are an awesome deal but Im worried about the longevity of them. My dad has had cheap stainless headers crack before on an old racecar.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I wish the Ebay headers would have came out about two years ago. Then I could see how they last. lol.
One thing to make sure you look for on ebay headers is the primaries are the right size. Some are smaller and wont flow as well. This was pointed out by a friend.

My .02

Quick Reply: Jet Hot vs Hooker