LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

I have a 96 Formula leaking from the front main seal and at place on both sides that the oil pan, block and timing cover meet. Everytime I turn on the car it won't leak and then all of a sudden it will build up pressure or something and will leak like crazy. Is this normal? I have replaced the front main seal and it did not stop the leak.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be sarcastic, but it's an LT1. They all leak at sometime or other....
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Ya I know but why does the leak happen only after running for a minute or so
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Xposure
Ya I know but why does the leak happen only after running for a minute or so
Because you're starting to build up a little pressure in the crankcase, which is normal, and it looks for the "weakest" place to vent itself. Just for grins, check your PCV, and see if it's dirty/sticking.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

It reads like your front seal is worn and very possible your oil pan gasket is too. At least check to see if the bolts on the oil pan are tight. A front oil seal is not a hard install. It just involves pulling the crank pulley. Shoebox has a page on how to remove it. www.shbox.com
Has the timing cover ever been removed?

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Because you're starting to build up a little pressure in the crankcase, which is normal, and it looks for the "weakest" place to vent itself. Just for grins, check your PCV, and see if it's dirty/sticking.
Not true. There should be absolutely no positive pressure in the crank case. That's what the PCV system is for. If there is enough pressure "built up" in the crank case to force oil past gaskets and seals there are other problems to worry about.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Well I changed out the pcv valve out and o habe changed the front seal already with a felpro one but no luck. I'm guessing that replacing everything will be worth a try to get this leak controlled
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

And one thing I did notice was that my pressure shoots up rapidly over 80 on the gauge itself and this is on a stock lt1
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Did you clean the hub of all rust/corrosion before putting the new seal on? Reason I ask is the seal may ride differently being new and could come into contact with the rust/corrosion on the crank snout which would act like sandpaper and wear the seal out quickly.
As far as the oil pressure is concerned that could be a huge problem or could just be the sender. You can connect an mechanical gauge up to the port just above the oil filter to verify. Does the pressure fluctuate at all while the engine is running or does it stay fixed on 80psi?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
....Not true. There should be absolutely no positive pressure in the crank case. That's what the PCV system is for. If there is enough pressure "built up" in the crank case to force oil past gaskets and seals there are other problems to worry about.
That's correct.

Therefore, if his PCV is not working correctly, he could be getting a build up of pressure....
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

The pressure stays there the whole time. I did not clean the hub completely so that might be an issue. But I have bigger issues now since my trans decided to start.shifting out of 1st at 5000+ rpms while cruising now and feels like its giving out on me horribly!

Quick Reply: oil leak