LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

reving up and down????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reving up and down????

I have a 96 lt1!!! I just pulled motor out and put bearing and rings. to freshin it up? Well its going back together good and I think I have everything pluged in and al the vacuum lines hooked back up but trany is out?,so I started the car with trany out started reving up and down up and down constantly maybe I forgot something but ive checked a million times Wth!!!, so maybe u guys could give me some pointers to look for or wat I missed there's gota be something but I cannot figure it out nething. Is appreciated thanks guys.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Your post is kinda confusing. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but are you asking questions or making statements?

What do you mean by the transmission is out ? Is it not bolted up or is it hooked up but not moving the car ?

If it's bolted up but not moving the car, double check all of the electrical connections, and then your trans fluid level.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

While really really confusing I think what he is saying is that he has a fluctuating idle. So now we need info, you pulled the motor, what did you go back with as far as any performance parts? Vacuum lines good? Check your MAF to ensure its not dirty. How is your tune? Did you put the air intake and filter back on or just fire it up through the MAF/throttle body?

Any and all information you can provide will make this alot easier.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Ok sorry guys I was at shop last nite and was pissed of at car, and came back and read this makes no sense lol! Ok I pulled motor do to knocking so I put new rings and bearings, I put motor back in and hooked everything back up I think include.d gas including vacum lines and wires everything! And no I didn't try cracking through the mad or just throttle body everything is hooked up wat I guess I'm return.g to say the reason it could be reving up and down bc trany was not in the car win I started it would that make be difference maybe like a,neutral safety switch or something. Car does have performance parts but not for sure the specs on nething except 30 injectors,Cai and tune that,started knocking all the dyno need more information let me no
Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Ok. The trans not being in it wont matter. So it started knocking while trying to get it tuned? If so then that is your problem. Tune is off and the pcm is in open loop trying to self adjust to meet the perimeters it has pre set. I would be willing to bet that is all if you have all good connections. Do you have the O2 sensors in and hooked up also?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Moe baily finished the tune and went great it started knocking at the end of tune. And yes o2s hooked up and all that good stuff Wats closed loop win o2s are not plunged in. This is still all new to me and my first motor build and win I cranked it no knocking so I did something rite lol!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedZ28
Moe baily finished the tune and went great it started knocking at the end of tune. And yes o2s hooked up and all that good stuff Wats closed loop win o2s are not plunged in. This is still all new to me and my first motor build and win I cranked it no knocking so I did something rite lol!!!
Open loop is when the pcm uses a set #s to keep the car running and ignoring a lot of sensors, like on cold start up and WOT. Closed loop is after the car has warmed up and takes into account things like the o2s.

Does the car idle strange as soon as you start it up or does it have to warm up first?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 AM

It seems like you're concerned about a fluctuating idle. It could be a simple adjustment, or something more serious. I'll keep investigating.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yes as soon as u start it I'm bout to go back to my shop and recheck things over but ses lite came on so I came. Home to get my scanner guna go c wat it says and let u guys no if u guys thing of nething else let me no thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

I would look at the IAC valve first.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Well put trany n and it quit Wth this makes no since I'm so confused lol

Quick Reply: reving up and down????