LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 LT1 IN 96 V6 wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LT1 IN 96 V6 wiring issue

I am trying to swap my 94 lt1 into a 96 V6 car and was wondering if i need a new engine compartment harness or if i can rewire the circuits.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Three letters to remember: OBD. Stands for "On-Board Diagnostics." In 1994, all cars had OBD1. For 1996, all cars had to be switched to OBD2, the new on-board diagnostics system (which is still in use today). Basically almost all of the wiring in the vehicle is completely different, and will require a major swap, much more than simply the engine harness.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Launching!

so i should try to get a 96 engine harness and compartment harness? If i changed to a 96 harness what would i have to change on my engine. Also would i need a new ecu
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the OBD2 cars have a PCM (powertrain control module), not an ECU. And you will require not only the underhood wiring from an OBD2 car, but also all the wiring under the dash.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

I think the reason you're not getting very many responses is because most on here have never owned or learned about the V6 cars. I've seen and heard questions regarding this topic, but never heard of the LT1 into V6 swap being completed, because it's easier and more cost effective to buy an LT1 car already running.

With that said, I don't think OBDI vs OBDII or 94 vs 96 is the issue here. OBDII pcms speak a different language, but the wires are still wires. You can switch a 95LT1 PCM (OBDI) into a 96LT1 PCM (OBDII) and vice versa without changing any wires.

You will have to have an LT1 PCM and harness to run the LT1 motor. The V6 pcm and harness won't work. You just need to figure out which wires to/from the pcm that go to the car (fuses, ign, guages, OBD connector, etc) for everything to function properly.

Check shbox's website for LT1 PCM wiring schematics. Not sure where you can find schematics for the V6.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Launching!

i contacted a local guy that has done a few swaps like this and he said all that needs to be done is repin some connectors so they match the v6 interior harness. Ill post up what needs done when i finish it
Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Ok I can help a bit here as I have just done this in a 94-94, my problem was it was LT1 auto in a v6 manual. One issue you'll have is the fans, v6 has 1 v8 has 2,you need to add secondary relay to relay box, the red and brown I believe have the same supply for both fans so just jumper/butt those together, then the other big wire(white I think) goes to the fan, and a blue wire from the relay goes to a connector on the pass. strut tower(8 or 12 wires), it has a blank spot for it on the v6 on the harness side, blue wire will be on the side going to pcm already so just match them up. Then just butt your ground wire from fan 2 with the fan 1 ground wire(they go to the same ground stud). The only other wires I had to swap were on the blue and white connectors behind the pass. kick panel that is part of the engine harness but some of those were for the auto shifter and TCC solonoid swap. Hope this helps let me know if you hit any other bumps in the road. Its a painstaking process but mine is running now without any issues, other than running hot
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

In 96 almost all camaros, firebirds and all variants have 2 fans. Ive been doing lots of research. (been at school all week away from the car so ive been trying to learn as much as i can about the wirng differences so i don't have to do it as i go)

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 IN 96 V6 wiring issue