LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

red97WS6 turn key battery related things go on then silence wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red97WS6 turn key battery related things go on then silence wont start

97 WS6 A4 75,000 miles on it. this has been reoccurring since about a month after i got the car. i turn the key all things battery related turn on but the engine doesnt start. doesnt even crank or try to start no clicking no turn over no cranking nothing. SILENCE! already replaced opti spark and distributor cap and rotor and water pump then replaced coil pack. What now???? what is the deal!! iam so frustrated right now. Also it doesnt happen al the time it happens off and on. other times itll start right up. Also i've found if i hold the key turned it outtta no where it will suddenly start up. it's as if sometimes it gets the spark and boom it starts and other times silence. also recently very recently did oil change to all synthetic but the problem was before that so thats got nothing to do with it. Also this may be a separate or related problem who knows but in DRIVE at highway crusing speed 55-70 and rpm range just to maintain that speed 1500-2500 the engine misfires and if i dont rev it up to 3000 rpm the check engine light will come on and comes back with P0300 the multiple misfires code . this light goes away if i dont have it at that exact speed and rpm range for a few hours. i've noticed that if i put it in 3rd gear right below drive it does not do this and it resolves the problem at that speed and rpm range . its like a different car in 3rd like a car thats added 20-30 horsedpower but of course you cant go over say 70 or so in 3rd. but again like i said the misfire studdering hesitation problem at 55-70 and 1500-2500 rpm is NOT the if in 3rd instead of D (drive). can anyone help me out here?? i havent had the wires and plugs changed and not sure if they are OE or been replaced once.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the security light on when you try to start it??
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Teching In

the one on the dashboard right near where the check engine light would come on?? yes it is.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you checked power to the starter? auto or manul car? Nuetural safty switch working correctly?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Might want to check the ignition switch that site on top of the steering column
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

If the security light is on when it does it, that is why it isn't starting, the vats system. Step out of the car, lock the door, and wait about 30 seconds, then unlock it & it should start right up.
How does the chip on your key look? Take some rubbing alcohol & clean it up.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Starter isn't getting juice.. Coil and opti have nothing to do with it not cranking..
Probably VATS if not you got a wire problem somewhere.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check out your Vats and your ignition switch on the steering column as mentioned they burn up and and sometimes you'll get a good connection others you wont. I had a similar issue a couple years back and checked for signs of opti, coil, module, plug wires, etc and all checked out. Its a common issue and id look into that.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Teching In

thanks to all but originally to lawhead for responding so quickly and pm'ing me. first thing it said to do was clean your key . i did that and it started right up . however liek i said it had been doin that not starting thing after a while it starts up so we'll see if it does it again anytime soon if not cleaning the key unbelievably was the solution and i have you to thank. i was able to pick my daughter up from preschool on time. THANKS MAN!!!!

Quick Reply: red97WS6 turn key battery related things go on then silence wont start