LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

open headers in the rain =FML

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open headers in the rain =FML

Got my lt install finished up today and new belt and plugs installed. Driving home til I go back to get the rest of the exhaust finished. Drone is insane!!!!!

Ok, now here is my problem....my headers did not come with o2 bungs. So my sensors arent hooked up. My engine temp gauge seems to be malfunctioning. I started the car and got the paint burning smoke immediately. And my gauge started rising and went to above 210 and hovered there. Checked the coolant and it was full. Drove off and the temp began to rise again, went to red and then just dropped to 160 instantly. Did this a couple of time and even went beyond red while sitting in traffic and the car never missed a lick. Took off and the temp went up even farther, then dropped. It then would jump back and forth over and over.........so......help.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do anything with the coolant system during that install? The sensor for that gauge is right by the #1 primary on the drivers side head. i would check it out and see if it got damaged.

The other thing would be possible air in the coolant casuing those heat spikes, thats why i asked if you did anything with the cooling system.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Ill check the sensor. I took the egr off and haven't capped it yet, but that wouldn't cause it would it? I am also leaning toward thermostat because my heat would not come on til it dumped back down to normal operating temps then it would blow hot!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would cause one huge vacuum leak. i would get your sensors hooked up and EGR capped before you start driving it again.

I wouldnt keep driving it until you get an idea whats causing those spikes. It could be something as simple as a bad sensor and the cooling system is perfectly fine, but if its not and the engine is really getting that hot its not gonna last much longer. your gonna fry it. could be air in the coolant as well. need to bleed it.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Well I have always had the "low coolant" light and the cooling system has always been good. I don't intend to drive it as is anymore this was a one-off emergency situation. Ill vent the cooling and see how it goes. Going to cap the egr in the next couple days. Any other ideas, please chime in. Thanks alot bad azz!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those "low coolant" sensors in our cars seem to be deceiving half the time but none the less check your fluid level, temp sensor wiring, temp sensor, or for air in the system.

Are your fans coming on?

And yes get your EGR blocked off and your O2's put in and see how she runs!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

The fluid level is good. Sensor looked good last night. Going to remove the solenoid later today and make a template to cut the block off plate. Car runs strong!!!!!! But the temp gauge worries me and the sound/drone is too much!! Was going to run a custom sweet thunder set up but am leaning more towards a magnaflow catback instead.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white ghost
The fluid level is good. Sensor looked good last night. Going to remove the solenoid later today and make a template to cut the block off plate. Car runs strong!!!!!! But the temp gauge worries me and the sound/drone is too much!! Was going to run a custom sweet thunder set up but am leaning more towards a magnaflow catback instead.
Yeah I know what you mean, I ran mine open headers for 2 weeks until I could get my exhaust done and wow did it get annoying. I couldn't creep home at 3 am with that noise
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

like already said. u need the bleed the air out of the colling system.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Just finished bleeding and refilling my cooling. Guess it was a little low...put a gallon in to bring it back up. Wiggled the sensor plug while the car was idling and the light began to flash so I gotta figure out if its just loose or gone bad. Car idled up to 170 degrees and stayed there for the 5 minutes it ran. So making a little progress.

Quick Reply: open headers in the rain =FML