LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

TTS datamaster - Code viewing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default TTS datamaster - Code viewing?

Im having some issues with my car, in the sense that it is having troubles starting up, but when it does it will run for 30seconds-a min and then shut itself down without any hesitation. I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up to the manifold and its showing that its getting good pressure, and my AFR seems good from my wideband. I have no idea why its doing it, but i was hoping i could read the codes on it and see if theres anything glaring at me. The check engine light is indeed on.

So with that said, how do i view the codes in datamaster/how do i interpret them?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if you can view the SES codes while in record mode, but if you take a quick data log file while the ses light is on, open the file back up. Click on the DTC ERR , it should be in RED on the top right hand side of Datamaster. It will open up a window with all the possible SES codes. Click the one that is in RED ( two or three may be in red , this means multi codes set) and that will tell you which SES code is set, As well as a short description of the code.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so i checked the DTC error, and the only red box is #36 and reads MALF 36: Hi-Res fail.
I have no idea what this means, anyone help me out?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It means you need to start diagnosing your ignition system, starting with the Opti.

Hope its a bad ICM (which is a common symptom of failure once heated up, as you described)

Hope its not a bad opti, which is most likely.

Here was a thread when I dealt with it:
http://tinyurl.com/3py24rd

Last edited by LarsV8; 09-09-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As he said above thats your best bet...

When i had code 36 it turned out to be a bad opt not that im trying to discourage you but could very well be a bad coil or module.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Opti or opti harness. 36 is for opti signals.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there any way to check the harness aside from replacing it to see if its the trouble? I assume its going to be the opti and will forsure not be going with a MSD one. I assume this isnt going to be a rotor replacement kind of thing, and ill have to replace the whole ordeal? Whats the name of the full opti replacement thats worth going with? I remember there being about 1000 write ups on this, ill search through them anyways,
Thanks guys
Old 09-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a dead on arrival Delphi.

I bought a genuine AC Delco from Summit which worked.

If you have the cash, I would suggest looking into the EFI 24x 8 coil system. People seem to really be happy with it.

As far as the opti wire goes, they are fairly durable, so unless you see external damage, I doubt that is your problem. They are fairly cheap anyway. One cheap diagnosis is to find a friend with a similar car with a working ignition and swap harness (very easy to do) and see if that fixes your problem. If thats not an option, check these guys:

http://www.currentperformance.com/Co...s/LT1_LT4.html

or

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=841

Last edited by LarsV8; 09-10-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats not to bad, my brother actually has a lt1 camaro so ill try that, but im expecting to shell out for an opti.
It seems like an AC delco replacement is the best bet?
Im a student - so the 24x conversion kit isnt a great idea for me at the time - but just for ***** isnt the cost about 2grand?

Quick Reply: TTS datamaster - Code viewing?