LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Header Questions!

I will be putting a set of headers onto my 1995 LT1. I'm hoping people can guide me in the right direction in terms of what I need. I want to keep this emissions legal, and (relatively) cheap.

I'll be grabbing a set of Pacesetter LTs & ORY.

I have a couple questions:

1) Will it work to put a cat immediately after the ORY? Is there enough room? What would be a good cat to use that will fit?
2) What else will I need? (O2 extensions? What are good header gaskets?)

Thank you!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the gm multi layer steel gaskets and use the gm bolts
Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on where your located, moving the cat from the stock location is an automatic fail. If you want to stay smog legal buy some Mac mids.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

As long as you don't live in Cali you should be fine with LT's. I think you will have to modify the I pipe to get the cat to fit though.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i remember right he lives in Canada.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Ohh maybe not then. I don't know how smog works in Canada, but as long as their isn't a visual inspection or a law against moving the cats you should be fine.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I will be putting a set of headers onto my 1995 LT1. I'm hoping people can guide me in the right direction in terms of what I need. I want to keep this emissions legal, and (relatively) cheap.

I'll be grabbing a set of Pacesetter LTs & ORY.

I have a couple questions:

1) Will it work to put a cat immediately after the ORY? Is there enough room? What would be a good cat to use that will fit?
2) What else will I need? (O2 extensions? What are good header gaskets?)

Thank you!
It shouldn't be any different than it would on you ls formy.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Buy the gm multi layer steel gaskets and use the gm bolts
Thank you! I will!

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Depending on where your located, moving the cat from the stock location is an automatic fail. If you want to stay smog legal buy some Mac mids.
This is true, but every inspector looks past this where I am. It's a non-issue to run LTs as long as you are within tolerable emissions limits.

Originally Posted by 96SilverZ
As long as you don't live in Cali you should be fine with LT's. I think you will have to modify the I pipe to get the cat to fit though.
I already have to modify the I-pipe since I'm putting on an LS1 catback. I'm curious to know if there is enough room (vertically between the exhaust and floor board) to run the cat. Do you know of anyone that has done this? What brand of cat they used?

Originally Posted by lethal bird

It shouldn't be any different than it would on you ls formy.
I do live in Canada

And the Formy had dual cats right off the headers. I'm doing this on a budget and only want one cat, so I'm going to have to ghetto-rig something up.

Also, I want to know what O2 extensions I will need to get, and how many. I remember reading that different year LT1 cars had different O2 wiring.

If someone could shed some light on these things, I'll be good to go!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you! I will!

This is true, but every inspector looks past this where I am. It's a non-issue to run LTs as long as you are within tolerable emissions limits.

I already have to modify the I-pipe since I'm putting on an LS1 catback. I'm curious to know if there is enough room (vertically between the exhaust and floor board) to run the cat. Do you know of anyone that has done this? What brand of cat they used?

I do live in Canada

And the Formy had dual cats right off the headers. I'm doing this on a budget and only want one cat, so I'm going to have to ghetto-rig something up.

Also, I want to know what O2 extensions I will need to get, and how many. I remember reading that different year LT1 cars had different O2 wiring.

If someone could shed some light on these things, I'll be good to go!
You should only need 1-12" O2 extension. But if you can get them for cheap i would get 2 just in case. As for where to place the cat you could do it right after the Y-pipe aslong as it will pass for you. If not then youll have to put them off the headers. Which is where theyll be the most effective btw
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
You should only need 1-12" O2 extension. But if you can get them for cheap i would get 2 just in case. As for where to place the cat you could do it right after the Y-pipe aslong as it will pass for you. If not then youll have to put them off the headers. Which is where theyll be the most effective btw
Awesome. I'll pick up two just in case. I want to do this whole swap as quickly as possible since it's my DD.

For the extensions, what kind should I use on a 1995? Can someone give me a link (PM me if it's ebay)!

Gracias!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...lat-extension/
Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Pacesetter includes an extension kit and all of the other stuff you'd need, but trash everything but the wire and solder the O2's yourself if you want to save $40.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the help! I ordered everything yesterday, just before the Canadian dollar tanked!

Went with pacesetter EGR/AIR painted headers, 2 cats that I'll run right off the headers, a pacesetter ORY, and Magnaflow catback.

I'll keep everyone posted with a video in a couple weeks!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Is ca more strict than the USA with emissions?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought Canada had different emissions regulations in each province so it depends?

You're gonna need some header paint if you don't want them rusting. My Pacesetters came with a sticker on them that said something along the lines of "this paint is for packaging purposes only." I'd stay away from the VHT crap you can get at Pep Boys. Eastwood has some good stuff.

You might also have to reroute the driver's side fuel lines away from the converter.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the help! I ordered everything yesterday, just before the Canadian dollar tanked!

Went with pacesetter EGR/AIR painted headers, 2 cats that I'll run right off the headers, a pacesetter ORY, and Magnaflow catback.

I'll keep everyone posted with a video in a couple weeks!
Pics would be nice too...
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need two o2 extensions and if you have to pass the sniffer you will not if you just put a cat at the end of the y pipe. It will not get hot enough and work like it should be to make it pass. If you dont have to pass emissions but want it for the smog police then just put it at the end of the y pipe so they cant rape you. I use the Mr Gasket 5903 Ultra Soft gaskets with ARP bolts. A good idea is to invest in some band clamps vs the u clamps for clearance and reliability.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Is ca more strict than the USA with emissions?
It's different, and it varies from Province to Province. Also depends on the city. Where I am, it's strict. They have programs that pull over modified cars to check for emissions equipment. Missing cats: $365. Each. It's not fun.

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
I thought Canada had different emissions regulations in each province so it depends?

You're gonna need some header paint if you don't want them rusting. My Pacesetters came with a sticker on them that said something along the lines of "this paint is for packaging purposes only." I'd stay away from the VHT crap you can get at Pep Boys. Eastwood has some good stuff.

You might also have to reroute the driver's side fuel lines away from the converter.
Yep, got the header paint. Was either going to go with POR15, or Eastwood. I'm guessing that VHT is no good.

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
You will need two o2 extensions and if you have to pass the sniffer you will not if you just put a cat at the end of the y pipe. It will not get hot enough and work like it should be to make it pass. If you dont have to pass emissions but want it for the smog police then just put it at the end of the y pipe so they cant rape you. I use the Mr Gasket 5903 Ultra Soft gaskets with ARP bolts. A good idea is to invest in some band clamps vs the u clamps for clearance and reliability.
I do have to pass sniffer, so I got the O2 extensions. I also bought 2 cats, so we're in business. I went with all GM gaskets. Hope it works well.

Originally Posted by jlpz
Pics would be nice too...
You're in luck. I got in some parts today!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

damn those fikse rims look awesome polo green!!! gets me thinking of ditching the chrome tt2s!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta take a pic when it's all done...Love those Fikse rims..bro..

Quick Reply: Header Questions!