LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Permanent Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Permanent Tranny Mount

Broke my tranny mount today for the 3 time in the past 2 months is there anyway to make a steel one, or make a permanent welded one. not worried about the vibrations i may get. the one just just broke was a red Poly mount.

thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow i have never heard of breaking a polly mount and 3 mounts in 2 months ? I had bad engine mounts that caused enough play in the driveline that wore out even my rubber tranny mount .
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look for the cause like above.

The mounts are a symptom not a problem.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM
LTX
Launching!

This was my first poly, expecting it to be there forever or atleast a long time. my 2 previous ones were the stock rubber ones from GM. i havent been abusing with hard acceleration only alittle haha. but still kinda stunned that the poly one broke. i pulled it in my dads shop pulled it up and found that the Red part cracked like an eggshell. idk what else to do but to just make my own?!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTX
This was my first poly, expecting it to be there forever or atleast a long time. my 2 previous ones were the stock rubber ones from GM. i havent been abusing with hard acceleration only alittle haha. but still kinda stunned that the poly one broke. i pulled it in my dads shop pulled it up and found that the Red part cracked like an eggshell. idk what else to do but to just make my own?!
Do you have poly or rubber motor mounts?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

If you have that much movement to break the polly mount somthing is causing the movement . look to other mounting points , engine mounts even the bolts that hold the tranny crossmember make sure they are tight .
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your gonna crack your trans case with a solid mount if you don't find out what is causing the issue.. Is the car lowered? How are the U joints? Is there bad vibes when driving?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a solid trans mount will crack your tailshaft when the motor flexes under load unless you go with solid motor mounts as well. theres more going on then just mounts. something is causing it to break.

you could also get a relocation bracket for the torque arm to get it off the tailshaft of the trans. that might reduce some stress on the mount.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

x2 on motor mount. My moms car kept breaking the tranny mount and we found out it had a cracked motor mount allowing everything to move.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a stock rubber mount on my car even with heads and cam, and still have rubber mounts on the engine.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
LTX
Launching!

Ok thanks guys i have the stock motor mounts, the rubber ones. i doubt theve had a finger print on them since 1994. yeah when i rev it the engine rocks like a cradle and so does the car. so im gonna check all the mounts. if my motor mounts are broke then problem solved. next time ill get the poly mount set.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I had a stock rubber mount on my car even with heads and cam, and still have rubber mounts on the engine.

well do you own a caprice or impala? just asking because maybe thats why you still have the stock ones lol but i could be wrong.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha nevermind!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM
LTX
Launching!

My friend has a 02 35th anniversary LS1 and when he revs his, the motor seems to be stiff in there pretty well and not so rockish. it only cradle about about half inch, and mine look almost like 2 inches
Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LTX
My friend has a 02 35th anniversary LS1 and when he revs his, the motor seems to be stiff in there pretty well and not so rockish. it only cradle about about half inch, and mine look almost like 2 inches
Theres your problem engine mounts. Get a full set for all mounts and your good to go !
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTX
Ok thanks guys i have the stock motor mounts, the rubber ones. i doubt theve had a finger print on them since 1994. yeah when i rev it the engine rocks like a cradle and so does the car. so im gonna check all the mounts. if my motor mounts are broke then problem solved. next time ill get the poly mount set.
You need poly motor mounts to run a poly trans mount. The stock rubber ones get old and flex, wish I had pictures of my stock rubber mounts, they had a curve to them lol. Having a poly trans and stock rubber mounts people say will break the trans mount, like what your seeing, So i would have to say all them people on forums might be right this time.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

replace the engine mounts, in one of your other post you say your car has a little over 200k on it. I would change them first, put a new tranny mount in and then see what happens. And I would listen to people like 96capricemgr that have these 4000 lb cars running 11.50s you might learn something.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by andrew ws6
replace the engine mounts, in one of your other post you say your car has a little over 200k on it. I would change them first, put a new tranny mount in and then see what happens. And I would listen to people like 96capricemgr that have these 4000 lb cars running 11.50s you might learn something.

yeah im gonna replace them all and Yes im learning a lot! lol thanks guys
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Did you have rubber trans mount as well?

Originally Posted by andrew ws6
replace the engine mounts, in one of your other post you say your car has a little over 200k on it. I would change them first, put a new tranny mount in and then see what happens.
If you replace the motor mounts get poly ones. or if you dont want poly motor mounts, when you replace the trans mount switch back to rubber.

The root cause is your mounts, i know what mine looked like at 150k, I bet once you change the mounts out with polys you wouldnt break the trans mount anymore.

For what its worth, the vibrations from poly motor mounts isnt nearly as bad as people make it sound, I was worried when I switched but id say you only notice like 10% more vibrations then stock. And yes thats an exact measurement lol
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Didnt you say you have pacesetter headers, are they long tubes, if so you dont have any issues with them hitting the floor when the engine torques over? Also I run poly engine mounts with a rubber trans mount and havent had any trouble with it in 10k+ miles.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Did you have rubber trans mount as well?

If you replace the motor mounts get poly ones. or if you dont want poly motor mounts, when you replace the trans mount switch back to rubber.

The root cause is your mounts, i know what mine looked like at 150k, I bet once you change the mounts out with polys you wouldnt break the trans mount anymore.

For what its worth, the vibrations from poly motor mounts isnt nearly as bad as people make it sound, I was worried when I switched but id say you only notice like 10% more vibrations then stock. And yes thats an exact measurement lol

lol ok Poly kit it is. should i got with prothane bushings too?

Quick Reply: Permanent Tranny Mount