LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whatcan cause a 4L60e's transmission pump to consistently go out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whatcan cause a 4L60e's transmission pump to consistently go out?

This is the 2nd time the pump when put.. After the first 1 I changed the torque convertor and went smaller.. It ran fine until about a day ago.. I'm pretty sure it's the pump because I can hear the pieces rattling inside the trans.. Hes saying that he's going to open it up an check it out today.. Any ideas on what can be causing this problem? It had a shift kit inside it as well..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

What converter are you using?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a number of things. No way to say 100% without getting it out and apart. A quick way to tell if its the pump is to put a pressure gauge on the transmission. You could have also broken the input drum. Poor converter spacing will kill a pump every time. When you install a new torque converter you must ALWAYS check your pump engaugement depth. It is very simple to do. Here is a link with step by step instructions on installing a converter and checking for propper pump engaugement.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/power...r-spacing.html
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
It could be a number of things. No way to say 100% without getting it out and apart. A quick way to tell if its the pump is to put a pressure gauge on the transmission. You could have also broken the input drum. Poor converter spacing will kill a pump every time. When you install a new torque converter you must ALWAYS check your pump engaugement depth. It is very simple to do. Here is a link with step by step instructions on installing a converter and checking for propper pump engaugement.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/power...r-spacing.html
beat me to it........a improper engagement depth on the pump espically too deep will fry a pump very very quickly......
Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Pardon me for threadjacking a bit here- I'd like to hear some of the symptoms of a damaged pump and/or input drum...

My red car project has been stalled for a while due to distance between me and the car, soon to be cured. With the flexplate bolted up there is horrible vibration in forward gears and a lot, but not nearly as bad, vibration in reverse. I initially thought it was converter flutter and rotated the converter 120* but it's still pretty bad. When I put the trans back in the car everything looked and felt fine installing the converter. The spacing with the converter all the way back was right at 3/16".

The trans was a replacement the PO put in it about 800 miles before he roasted the engine. It's also a PWM trans in a 94 car so has its own issues associated with that. Before running a wire from D6 to pin U on the case connector and tuning like a 95 I want to know if the trans is trashed and I shouldn't bother. I have no idea what if any care was taken by the PO when installing this trans, what prep he did, etc. T56 all day long for me, autos are not my strong suit.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Converter spacing is a good thing to check.

I would ask how thoroughly the tranny was gone through after the last failure.

You didn't tell us if the second failure was 2 days or 2 years.

Did you actually use someone known to be good WITH THIS TRANNY or did you just trust a local who said he could do it?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

I lost my stock tranny to a botched converter install. It liked to blow fluid out the dipstick and not shift. Didn't take very long at all.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

I currently have a vigilanti torque convertor and this 2nd pump was installed around the middle/end of august.. The 1st pump lasted about a week and had a had a different torque convertor..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

1st TC was 2800
2nd TC was 26/2700 "so he says"
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the dowel pins are still in your block and check the holes in your bellhousing for excessive wear around the dowel pin holes. Also make sure your flexplate isn't bent.

Quick Reply: Whatcan cause a 4L60e's transmission pump to consistently go out?