LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtubes

I'm sure theres been tons of posts about longtubes vs shorties but i cant find em. So currently i have BBK shorties, my questions are would longtubes really give me any payoff in the 1/4? Possible more hp? Also i have my car stock except for bolt ons and i dont want to loose ERG and A/C and all the goodies that came with the car, would i have to remove any of those to fit the longtubes? Currently have the stock exhaust which will be removed here in the winter with a SLP LM1 will i have any fitment issues? I know its alot but i want to be dead set on longtubes if im going to spend all this money on them, thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes they will increase HP and will help you in the 1/4 mile some. You don't have to lose your ac nor your emissions stuff. You'd have to buy LT's that have the provisions for emissions and as long as you get the correct Y pipe for the headers you shouldn't have any fitment issues bolting the catback on..GL
Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are worth 10-15 HP over shorties...maybe worth a tenth or two in the 1/4. IMO you would be better off upgrading to 1.6 RR and springs and leave the shorties on...worth 20 HP and cheaper too. Are emissions an issue?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
They are worth 10-15 HP over shorties...maybe worth a tenth or two in the 1/4. IMO you would be better off upgrading to 1.6 RR and springs and leave the shorties on...worth 20 HP and cheaper too. Are emissions an issue?
Emissions are an issue yes, here in PA we dont get breaks and i use the car 4 days or so out of the week to drive to class and back. Im currently exempted due to low mileage but next year ill have to get it in line with emissions .
Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

They should give you a few more hp, but I'd suggest waiting until you get a few more engine mods...heads/cam etc. Have you had a dyno tune yet?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

No tune just bolt ons yet, ive been waiting to get most of the bolt ons, on the car and then get it tuned. Being a college student only allows me to do things once bc of cost so i have to get everything at once and then do it. Stock heads, cam, gears etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacks94Z
No tune just bolt ons yet, ive been waiting to get most of the bolt ons, on the car and then get it tuned. Being a college student only allows me to do things once bc of cost so i have to get everything at once and then do it. Stock heads, cam, gears etc.
The 2 1/2" collector is what hurts, along with the stock exhaust. Opening the collector to 3" and 3" Y would give you longtube results.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Yes the longtubes will give you a significant increase. But if emissions are an issue just stick with the shorties and spend the 500+ for headers and ypipe on something else. Maybe some rear gears and a tune. I think that would give you far better results and be in the same ballpark spending area.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still running the same shorty BBK's you're running. I'm assuming you go the one's that included the Y-pipe. If your car is stock I'd do some valvetrain mods to get the engine breathing better. Maybe a cam and 1.6 rockers.

I honestly didn't go with the LT's because the roads in Virginia are horrible and all my friends with long tubes have problems bottoming out. Since my care is lowered it would make the problem even worse and the few extra ponies I might get from the LT's weren't worth it for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jazz-LT1
I'm still running the same shorty BBK's you're running. I'm assuming you go the one's that included the Y-pipe. If your car is stock I'd do some valvetrain mods to get the engine breathing better. Maybe a cam and 1.6 rockers.

I honestly didn't go with the LT's because the roads in Virginia are horrible and all my friends with long tubes have problems bottoming out. Since my care is lowered it would make the problem even worse and the few extra ponies I might get from the LT's weren't worth it for me.

height is no problem im on stock height, and hopefully soon getting the older 17inch ZR1 style rims, i just done want to tear apart the engine justt yett is all.

Quick Reply: Longtubes