LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Side Bumper Exit Exhaust.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Bumper Exit Exhaust.....

So now I have the cash to build my car into what I want, a road course car. I already have done the research on everything, and know what I want as far as suspension, driveline, and power mods. But I am still not set on exhaust. I know I need a muffler for sure, the guys that schedule NASA events do not like straight pipes as much as I do. At first I really wanted the fender exit exhaust but with all the complications and space issues, I have steered away from that thought. So now, I had an idea to have the exhaust exit out of the side of the rear bumper right behind the rear tires. You know, actually having a hole in the bumper. I know, I know, ls1tech hates anything different and especially side exit exhaust, but quite frankly I like my cars to be different and as original as possible without a big *** ****** commando wing and a retarded body kit. So I am wondering does anyone have a picture of this done or could anyone photochop a pic of my idea? I don't need opinions as I already know the vast majority of them on this website. I know that this is not functional or necessary but neither are ss wings, berger mods, or half of the other typical fbody mods. Just looking for advice on the matter.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you talking about trailer flares, like on trucks? Like this, only on a car?

IMO, you gotta go boom tubes over that.

Trailer flares would look terrible on a car. If you go boom tubes, get some ground effects, cut a hole in them, and Ka-Pow! You have a great looking exhaust.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

I've never seen it done before. There are a couple ways you could do it, depending if you're doing a true dual or traditional setup.

If you want the least amount of pipe for weight concerns, you'd probably have to place the mufflers where they normally go for a true dual setup. Put them right under the rear seats right before the pipe would go over the axle. Depending on how low your car is, you might be forced into having Dynomax bullets or similar mufflers. Then take your pipes over the axle and turn them toward the bumper on their respective side.

Single over the axle would be the same way, except with one less muffler. Y-pipe into your cat or straight-pipe, then into your muffler, then over the axle and out the bumper on the passenger side.

The easiest way with the least amount of fabrication would be to get a few of the pipes from a regular cat-back, just the straight pipe from the catalytic converter and the over axle pipe. Then put on whatever single in/out muffler you want and then your exit from your muffler would be pointed right at the driver side bumper and have it exit there.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this mounted behind the rear tires:
Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything can be done these days. I would say go get a trim ring in the basic design you want and tape it to the bumper in the spot you like and see what it will take.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's not on a Vette or a Viper it looks terrible. I'd pass.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Side mount exhaust is not what you want if there is a Db limit.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Launching!

1963SS, that would look freakin amazing coming right out of a hole in the side of the bumper. Where did you find that tip because that is exactly what I want. Perfect.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I want to get boom tubes for mine, my CME is looking boring to me.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you find that tip because that is exactly what I want. Perfect.
I thought that's what you had in mind. I'm a little busy right now and have two engines to get done but I was going to do that to a Vette. If you'll do a Search for "Through body exhaust tips" you should pull them up. Use "Images" and the link you need.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks 1963ss. That is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not eager to cut up the side of my bumper cover. But damn that **** will look good. A bassani bullet and a through body exhaust tip on the drivers side and ill be in business.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you hide the muffler and pipe as much as possible. It would look stupid from behind the car if you can see the pipe and muffler sitting sideways and running out of the side of the bumper.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With this probably a rear diffuser of some sort would finish it off nicely.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Ironoutlaw, I plan on running a bassani bullet where my hollow shell of a cat is now. I think that would be tucked away nicely. And I'm gonna make sure the pipe is not visible from the back, because you are right, it would look stupid if you could see the pipe running into the side of the bumper. And camarocorey, I like your idea. I think I'm gonna like this little project.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be sure to post pics. I personally wouldnt do it on my car, but I really dont think it will look bad if done right.

Quick Reply: Side Bumper Exit Exhaust.....