LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LID vs. Ram Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LID vs. Ram Air Box

Did a search not much turned up on the subject. Both are somewhat alike and i was just curious if anyone has done a comparison to see which performs better? Im currently running an aftermarket ram air box on my car and im going to be picking up a ram air hood for my dads car for christmas so im debating if i should keep my air box or give it to my dad. Anyone tried this out and see what the pro`s and con`s are?

Much appreciated!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

No one? I see some gains from going from CAI to LID swaps but yet to see anyone with proof of gains from a ram air box setup.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
No one? I see some gains from going from CAI to LID swaps but yet to see anyone with proof of gains from a ram air box setup.
The two designs are so similar it's doubtful that anyone has any measurable unbiased results.

I'd keep your factory airbox.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sealing the box to the hood is actually designed to keep the hot engine bay air out of the intake ducting, not to increase the "ramming effect" that many people so popularly believe. If the box remains unsealed you actually increase the potential volume of air available entering the plenum.

Case in point -

That's a 10HP/9TQ gain by opening the hood (effectively unsealing the hood).
Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much talk about this aspect of our engines.
You can mod your stock intake system to deliver all the air it would ever require for a NA engine on the street without spending much if anything at all.
The only time you would look seriously at this is with using forced air induction like a blower or turbo app.
I know their are products out there that claim increases but, they are only at the high end of engine usage and speed which no street car ever gets near.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I didn't read all of that...

Truthfully I've been in far too many "ram air" discussions over the past 12 years of ownership. Nothing is new to me anymore - there won't be any ground-breaking news or improvements or scientific evidence proving or disproving how effective/ineffective it is. It is what it is - a 15 year old design that everyone LOVES to castrate or praise.

/rant

Fact is my car runs ***** out with it and that's all I really care about.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hood scoops on the factory ram air cars are too far back and too low to be in the air stream to create any sort of ram air effect. A lid with a ram air setup will provide gains once the car is moving over the stock setup.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do plan to the Mega Mouth setup if i convert to the lid setup. Have no ac or a4 trans cooler to deal with
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I get the impression a lot of people on this board are letting go of their passion (and ownership) of the LT1. I wouldn't be surprised if this board dwindles to a fraction of activity in the next year or two. I guess its inevitable... people get older; sell or smash their cars, want to move into something new. You hear about manufacturers dropping LT1 designed parts. I mean heck, them Nissan 270Z's be mighty purdy lookin cars
I hate to get off topic but I agree with this. When detroit is pushing out new cars that come stock with 400+ horsepower and can run low twelves from the factory its hard to stay with the LTX platform. Then you've got the LS1 that is so much easier to build and you can get so much more out of it. Basically this platform is going to be the diehard guys that wont give it up, or highschool kids that cant afford anything else. A lot of the older guys are switching to Vettes now and I dont blame them at all. When I was at the track the announcer said when a built LT1 car pulled up to the lanes, "That car has the notorious LT1 that seems to have a cult like following with some guys." Im proud to say Im one of them.

And to the OP, I dont think you will see a SOTP difference with a lid vs a ram air. Maybe the chris1313 would work better but I dont think there can be any dyno evidence showing its advantages with the car sitting still on a dyno. Im going to eventually buy a ram air hood for my car but Im probably going to go with a lid setup just because they are cheaper.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

"I get the impression a lot of people on this board are letting go of their passion (and ownership) of the LT1. I wouldn't be surprised if this board dwindles to a fraction of activity in the next year or two. I guess its inevitable... people get older; sell or smash their cars, want to move into something new."
There are still alot of 15 yr olds that will be 16-17yrs old in those 1-2 years that this site will dwindle in activity. Everyone loves a cheap performance car, and id rather see kids in a american v8 then some stupid ******* rediculous honda that my moms minivan could beat.

Personally i like the idea of the stock system ram air system better. I think the amount of air that goes into the nostrils is about equal to what the ram air kits would suck in from the bottom of the car. But it takes a very different path

Now going to your point about the car not moving to get ram air, well the SSRA kit is in the exact same boat. On a dyno its not getting any ram air effect either.

Ramair95 is correct, its a subject that gets beaten to death, and the results in either case would probably be so similar that its not worth testing. If you have one or the other then stick with it. If your going from a stock trans am thats non ram air, then basically whatever you can get for cheaper is probably the same either way.

The biggest issue i have with the SSRA/SLP ram air mouths is that they block a HUGE portion of the radiator.

The difference im sure isnt much, but i honestly think, givin how aerodynamics work, that the stock ram air system works better at speed. air going straight in the hood, making a small bend down, and then into the engine, seems alot more straight forward then air going under a car, into a mouth, then shoved straight up at almot 90º and then another 90º turn into the engine isnt as efficent.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
There are still alot of 15 yr olds that will be 16-17yrs old in those 1-2 years that this site will dwindle in activity. Everyone loves a cheap performance car, and id rather see kids in a american v8 then some stupid ******* rediculous honda that my moms minivan could beat.

Personally i like the idea of the stock system ram air system better. I think the amount of air that goes into the nostrils is about equal to what the ram air kits would suck in from the bottom of the car. But it takes a very different path

Now going to your point about the car not moving to get ram air, well the SSRA kit is in the exact same boat. On a dyno its not getting any ram air effect either.

Ramair95 is correct, its a subject that gets beaten to death, and the results in either case would probably be so similar that its not worth testing. If you have one or the other then stick with it. If your going from a stock trans am thats non ram air, then basically whatever you can get for cheaper is probably the same either way.

The biggest issue i have with the SSRA/SLP ram air mouths is that they block a HUGE portion of the radiator.

The difference im sure isnt much, but i honestly think, givin how aerodynamics work, that the stock ram air system works better at speed. air going straight in the hood, making a small bend down, and then into the engine, seems alot more straight forward then air going under a car, into a mouth, then shoved straight up at almot 90º and then another 90º turn into the engine isnt as efficent.
The stock hood scoops aren't even tall enough to break out of the boundary layer, at bets they are a cold air induction. I have the slp kit on my car and my temp hasn't increased at all since it doesn't block the radiator.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

I loved my ram air box..made a menacing hiss at idle as the air moved into the motor..
Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run the ram air hood, i like the styling of it on my car. Sometimes i get bored with it and i switch it back and forth with the stock T/A hood. I have not run it at the track yet but next year i am going to have to unhook my FIPK (which gave me .17 or 17 horse at the track) and since i dont have a ram air filter yet i will test the ram air through the nose directly and see if there is any improvement. I bet there is!

Quick Reply: LID vs. Ram Air Box