LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Doing heads/cam need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing heads/cam need help

With my tax returns this year im going to be doing a head/cam for my 96 lt1 6 speed TA. I currently have headers, custom y pipe, slp catback, cai, racetronix fuel pump, and tune. Still have stock gears and bottem end.

Thinking of getting Le2 heads/cam package but along with that i was wondering what else i should pick up. I have around 3000 to spend but don't want to spend it all if i dont have to.

What i think i need so far is le2 head/cam, tb, larger injectors, head gaskets, intake gasket and tune.

What else should i get? do i need new pushrods, RR, and timeing chain?

thanks for any input.

Last edited by justinflora; 01-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for 58mm TB at that power level....a stock ported 52mm will do fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Head cam rr push rods gaskets timing chain dyno tune injectors harden push rods new lifters 411 gears and a shot of n2o
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your choice you can go with red top Ford injectors or higher if you go with a shot or matched injectors as stated or get the red tops or what ever injector you go with flowed later down the road. Spend time and money to keep any and all dirt out of the engine or else your going to posting a "it blew up" thread next. Also consider the age of everything else that will be comming off the engine and ask if it's time to replace or reuse. It can add up quick. as for TB's it can be done later down the road you could use the stock if needed. Don't cheap out on the rockers. Through personal experiance spend the money the first time then do it right and you should not have an issue. Might be a good time to check everything else in the engine IF you take it out of the car for this.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

jyacenk is giving great advise! On my build I ended up about $500 over what I had orginally thought were all the parts I needed. Just make sure you have a few bucks on hand and an understanding counterpart if needed. Things can and will need to be repaired/replaced.

You will need a timing set, and hardened pushrods are always a good idea.

On the little stuff you can save some money with advance auto buying online using coupons you can find online and still pickup at the store within 30 minutes. This is what I did for all my small parts and saved a ton!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. Any recommendations on which gasket brands to use or does it not really matter. Anyone no of a kit that includes all that are needed?

I think i'll skip the TB for now but deffinitly get different push rods and RR.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Id do a coyles 3145 timing chain, trickflow chromemoly pushrods, comp pro mag rr, ford 30lb injectors, and get new oil pump drive. Id also do 26 thick head gasket to get compression up
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Launching!

i have an extra set of heads in the garage if you want them, that way your car isnt down while they get sent out for porting

Quick Reply: Doing heads/cam need help