LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No start/No electrical at all issue (sort of emergency)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start/No electrical at all issue (sort of emergency)

Hey guys, having an issue right now. Went to start the camaro and it turned for a split second and everything went dark. Didn't check the gauges really well before I tried starting it so I don't know how charged the battery was before trying. I assume it's either the battery or a fuse is blown, but I am not sure if there is one fuse that would kill literally everything if blown.

I have no lights at all (interior or exterior), fuel pump doesn't prime, and aftermarket security system on car is not transmitting to the remote/fob. (Meaning no power is getting to the car-side of the system)

I need it up and running as soon as possible, so any insight as to what would cause a zero-electricity condition (other than battery) would be most appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your power wire and the junction box. Sometimes if the stud loosens up it won't start.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fex77k
Check your power wire and the junction box. Sometimes if the stud loosens up it won't start.
Good call!

It sucks doing this by flashlight at night out in the Michigan elements, currently running back and forth between it and my apartment for warmth. XD lol
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update!

WARNING: The message you are about to read contains explicit adult language. If you are under the age of 18 and/or are easily offended by crude language, please do not continue reading.

THE GOD D*MN MOTHERF*CKING NEGATIVE POWER CABLE!

lol.

Went back out with my tools this time, and went to loosen the terminals at the battery (figured I could eliminate a few possibilities if I disconnected it, let it sit for the 10 minutes then reconnected it) and the negative cable was extremely loose. I don't know how it was running at all yesterday with how loose it was...I'm just lucky I wasn't stranded away from my apartment. lol.

Fired right up and ran great, I'm very pleased now.

Thank you for the very speedy response, fex77k, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this a joke?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If not...someone will search this problem at a later date and feel really stupid at how easy it is to check before posting.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry happened to me, a very long time ago too. I replaced the ignition switch because I didn't know better.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
Is this a joke?
SIR: you too were young and STUPID Once just as I was, lighten up on the kid at least he figured it out on his own, did you??? I did but I had at least changed a battery once before
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lmao. It was a loose battery connector. Is that not the first thing you would diagnose? I wasn't being rude. I admit, I did a lot more non sense but I honestly thought this was a joke! If you're trying to say I haven't done engine work before, I actually replced some rocker arms for a friends car when I was 15 and surprisingly that thing kept running strong, that is until someone t boned him.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I came to an online forum meant to help owners and enthusiasts with issues they are facing to get some quick ideas first when my other option was to try to diagnose the issue in the dark with a mini-maglight with dying batteries, under a hood with enough ice on it that it won't stay open other than holding it up with my back, in -5 degrees, with literally 30 minutes to figure it out and fix it (whatever it may have been). Somewhat high pressure situations like this can make the obvious solution stand out a little less.

Next time I'll make sure this happens during the day sometime post-spring thaw, so I can spend more than four minutes outside before my hands are too cold to hold the wrench to tighten up the terminals. lol

EDIT: fex and tinbender, I appreciate it, thanks a lot guys.

Last edited by robmnrd; 01-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lmao. It was a loose battery connector. Is that not the first thing you would diagnose? I wasn't being rude. I admit, I did a lot more non sense but I honestly thought this was a joke! If you're trying to say I haven't done engine work before, I actually replced some rocker arms for a friends car when I was 15 and surprisingly that thing kept running strong, that is until someone t boned him.
it is all good, I have horses as well, once in a while I ask the"BIG BOYS" a question, and get the R-U-F#@$%n stupid or what look. kind a pi$$e$ me off, because someone had to teach them, how-be-it their daddy, after he pulled the silver spoon out of their A$$ so they would listen sorry I get kind of pasionate about the whole, "holier than thou" attitude.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah there are some serious *** holes and d-bag's on here that think they know it all. When someone asks a question they get all pissed about it, honestly, those kinds of people should leave ls1tech Because that's mainly what it's about. I wish we had a descent mechanic down here in Memphis that is not a complete dick and sack of ****. Or at least a better tunning shop. I've been looking for a place to tune the z06 for four years now,band my only choice now is to take it 4 hours away and have it done. Honestly I don't have the time to do so.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah there are some serious *** holes and d-bag's on here that think they know it all. When someone asks a question they get all pissed about it, honestly, those kinds of people should leave ls1tech Because that's mainly what it's about. I wish we had a descent mechanic down here in Memphis that is not a complete dick and sack of ****. Or at least a better tunning shop. I've been looking for a place to tune the z06 for four years now,band my only choice now is to take it 4 hours away and have it done. Honestly I don't have the time to do so.
Vetteboy call Wichita Dyno in wichita Ks, he does some traveling, maybe you could get a group of guys togather and make it worth his time

Quick Reply: No start/No electrical at all issue (sort of emergency)