LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

magnaflow exhaust hanger??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default magnaflow exhaust hanger??

I picked up a used magnaflow catback, after fighting with it for 3 hours to get it on the car (not easy when everythings is welded!!) I have an issue with the hanger off of the over the axle pipe to the muffer from the I pipe, This is on the passenger side of the car. Do magnaflow kits come with a new hanger? all i have is a flat peice of metal welded to the exhaust and it has a hole in it near the end. How was this meant to be? and does anyone have a hanger or know where to get one? i assume it replaced the factory hanger and bolted to this other peice of metal?

any help would be great. Im sure a exhaust shop could make something easily but i just want to know what supposed to go there.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your stock exhaust should've had a 'L' bracket that bolted to it in the same location. Unbolt it and it should bolt to the new system
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

car didnt have stock exhaust on it so that would be why i did not know about this peice. Thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My magnaflow had horrible fitment issues. Had the stock brackets but it was actually to long and some of the bends where not right. I would take it to an exhaust shop and have some brackets made up. Thats what I did.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The Magnaflow engineers really f'd up on that one. The hangars and bends are crap, just keep toying and modifying the system until it looks acceptable.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

i was planning on taking it in since i need some new pipes made for the tips, the last guy welded on pipes and it was on a camaro so the angles were all f'd up. I ended up having to cut them off after i faught with it to get it over the axle with the tips on...go figure.

I ordered a set of 3" dual tips for each side to replace the single tip, also need to get my wideband bung welded in so hopefully they can do everything i need as well as put a hanger up.

Now that i hear fitment issues, its kind of odd. my I pipe goes up at an angle from my y pipe lol. I found that weird, i wont bitch since i gained a **** ton of ground clearance but it was just weird, normally they angle downward!

Last edited by trilkb; 01-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah have fun with it. I installed mine loose and started the car twice. Hated the awful quiter than stock sound. Tried selling it for a year for $200 and had no bites. Installed again and had a shop do $120 in work. I pipe was 5 inches to long. The over axle pipe was not bent right. My tips were bent at a 85 degree angle and a 92. Called customer support and got a we are sorry response but we can not do anything. Ready to take the whole system and shove it in the trash. Worst $500 I have ever spent.

Quick Reply: magnaflow exhaust hanger??