LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Tune

I am going to be getting my car dyno tuned in the near future and had a question. I noticed a lot of places that offer the dyno tune say credits may be required to do the dyno tune. I understand what they are but I don't know if my vehicle would require it or not. It is a 96 trans am. I tried searching and read through the tuning section and lt1 faqs and write-ups but could not find any info.

The car has a pcm4less tune but i am having le2 heads/cam installed and will be wanting a dyno tune after.

thanks for any help!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Launching!

I don't know about that but I do know our pcms don't like to be tuned a lot. They have a good chance of going bad when the tuner is loading the tune. Good thing you can get pcms pretty cheap. It happened to me lol
Not a big problem just lettin ya know that if your car turns over and doesn't start, it's the PCM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen a few cars get multiple tunes and have no issues and I recall only 1 friend that had his PCM crap out during the process. Go for it!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
I have seen a few cars get multiple tunes and have no issues and I recall only 1 friend that had his PCM crap out during the process. Go for it!
Hell yeah I say go for it to, just throwing out some extra info it's really just the lt1 pcms. Ls pcms don't have that problem.

I Don't know anything about the credits though
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96m6lt1
I am going to be getting my car dyno tuned in the near future and had a question. I noticed a lot of places that offer the dyno tune say credits may be required to do the dyno tune. I understand what they are but I don't know if my vehicle would require it or not. It is a 96 trans am. I tried searching and read through the tuning section and lt1 faqs and write-ups but could not find any info.

The car has a pcm4less tune but i am having le2 heads/cam installed and will be wanting a dyno tune after.

thanks for any help!
Call around to the places you are looking at websites for and ask them. A lot of them probably don't even offer tuning services for LT1s and probably even fewer offer services for OBD2 LT1s. As far as I know, the JET DST is the only way to tune the OBD2 LT1 F body stock ecu and it is a per vehicle license scheme requiring $100 per vehicle (for someone who has already purchased the thing from JET). So, you can assume that price will be added to the charge for tuning and dyno time once you find someone that has the thing.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 05HD
Call around to the places you are looking at websites for and ask them. A lot of them probably don't even offer tuning services for LT1s and probably even fewer offer services for OBD2 LT1s. As far as I know, the JET DST is the only way to tune the OBD2 LT1 F body stock ecu and it is a per vehicle license scheme requiring $100 per vehicle (for someone who has already purchased the thing from JET). So, you can assume that price will be added to the charge for tuning and dyno time once you find someone that has the thing.
Thank you! I was thinking of going down to Late model throttle in waukesha WI because i heard they were able to and do internal modication engines, and i seen it recommended in the Midwestern forums.

This is from their website so i would assume they are able to

•Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuner credits for GM = $100 per vehicle unless accessed previously by LMT calibrator/ anyone no what the lmt calibrator is? was it accessed by pcm4less for previous tune? or is it if i have gone there before

then this is for the dyno tune

•Naturally aspirated with Internal Modification
Any or all combinations of Heads/Camshaft/Injectors and bolt ons. Includes dyno sheets before (if safe to complete run) and final results. Data logging, idle, part throttle and WOT optimization. Drivability optimized to the best as the combination allows. Very large low vacuum camshafts will not lug around low engine rpm's like stock. This mostly applies to manual transmission vehicles and cammed automatics with stock low stall converters. This needs to be understood by the customer. $400

So unless anyone knows a place in wisconsin that for sure does it i think ill give them a shot. I'm in the middle of wisconsin (wausau) so it's a 3 hour drive. Anyone know any place closer that has been used before?

Thanks again for the input everyone and i'll look into cost of another pcm just incase .
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96m6lt1
anyone no what the lmt calibrator is? was it accessed by pcm4less for previous tune? or is it if i have gone there before
I would assume that would be the person at Late Model Throttle who does the calibrating.

It sounds like you have indeed found someone with the correct tool for the job. I wouldn't worry too much about the PCM getting bricked. That is usually caused by rookie mistakes like letting the battery die during a flash, tripping over the cable during a flash or having some obnoxious program on the tuning laptop that interrupts the flash process.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 05HD
I would assume that would be the person at Late Model Throttle who does the calibrating.

It sounds like you have indeed found someone with the correct tool for the job. I wouldn't worry too much about the PCM getting bricked. That is usually caused by rookie mistakes like letting the battery die during a flash, tripping over the cable during a flash or having some obnoxious program on the tuning laptop that interrupts the flash process.
lol, I would assume you are correct about it being a late model throttle person that has calibrated it before... Maybe with a little better reading comprehension i would have got that myself. So it looks like at least $500 for a dyno tune needs to be added to my budget.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Hello, sorry I found this a little late. This is Jeff from late model throttle. We can tune your car for you. Please call so we can discuss and setup and appt

Thank you
Jeff smith
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While mine is a 94 ive flashed a new tune into mine over 20 times with no issues.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Launching!

We've had good luck with 94/95 cars. Only one we had to socket the PCM. That car was problem after problem with the shop that installed the blower. Probably flashed the stock PCM 40-50 times before it froze.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
While mine is a 94 ive flashed a new tune into mine over 20 times with no issues.

Originally Posted by 99SLOWC5
We've had good luck with 94/95 cars. Only one we had to socket the PCM. That car was problem after problem with the shop that installed the blower. Probably flashed the stock PCM 40-50 times before it froze.
Same here, since my bolt on daze and have probably flashed my PCM 50+ times with no problems, The only time you will crash a PCM if while up loading you either loose power to the vehicle (Dead Battery) or the laptop or if you get a spike in voltage by using a battery charger while uploading, so saying that our PCM's do not like a lot of uploaded tunes is not a true statement. All user error...

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune