LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust leak or rocker noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak or rocker noise?

Well starting yesterday my car started to make loud noises like this

I think it could be between the rocker arms, maybe they are loose or maybe even broken? What do you guys think =(. .

I mean the car runs well, but especially in the morning when i turn the car on, it is a little bit louder, once it warms up it comes and goes away. When I am idling at the red light for a while and then i accelerate from a stop, it gets pretty loud, like a ticking noise. I went to a mechanic and he stated that it might be the exhaust manifolds might have a leak or a broken bolt.

How I can i distinguish between an exhaust leak or a loose rocker arm?

It also sounds like this as well
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds to me like an exhaust leak.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

It is not a exhaust leak. Grab each rocker arm with the motor running glove on of course. When the tapping stops you found the problem rocker. Tighten it up by 1/4 turns until it hopefully goes way. Problem is from your video it looks like all the rockers are moving correctly. Hopefully it's not a lifter.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
It is not a exhaust leak. Grab each rocker arm with the motor running glove on of course. When the tapping stops you found the problem rocker. Tighten it up by 1/4 turns until it hopefully goes way. Problem is from your video it looks like all the rockers are moving correctly. Hopefully it's not a lifter.
ok il do this tonight hopefully il find out what it is! Oh sorry to misinform anyone, but this is not my video. I found a clip that sounded exactly like how my engine sounds like. Made it easier for you guys to help me out =D.

Last edited by 323steel36; 05-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

even easier leave everything together, runt he car, and old a screwdriver to the rocker covers and listen with your ear. Be carfeull not to get sucked into the alternator belt

If you cant hear it through the screwdriver it is exhuast. IF you can hear it through screwdriver it's rockers or lifters.

Check the whole length of the rocker cover like this and you can get pretty close to which one it might be without having to take anything apart.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

I know that when a rocker arm is not on right, the whole car will shake like you're in an earthquake. But maybe that's because i had not one but two adjusted wrong, lol.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds just like my old Formula did last year. It sounds like an exhaust leak at the header flange at the head. I chased that noise for a long time and it was a simple bad set of Kooks header gaskets. My noise came and went with varying rpm ranges and heat cycles. I swore up and down it was a mechanical squeek. So much so that I completely went thru my entire valve train before I found a similar noise on an LS car we working on in the shop. Grabbed a welding glove and grabbed the #2 primary header tube at the flange and the noise went away. I laughed out loud and knew I had found my problem also. Felpro #1406s and all was well. Mine was leaking at the #7 and #8 cylinders...

--Alan
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jason94z
even easier leave everything together, runt he car, and old a screwdriver to the rocker covers and listen with your ear. Be carfeull not to get sucked into the alternator belt

If you cant hear it through the screwdriver it is exhuast. IF you can hear it through screwdriver it's rockers or lifters.

Check the whole length of the rocker cover like this and you can get pretty close to which one it might be without having to take anything apart.

Good luck!
hahaha yeah il be careful on that alternator belt. Wow thanks, what a great idea, I can use it as a stethoscope!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exhaust leak.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 323steel36
ok il do this tonight hopefully il find out what it is! Oh sorry to misinform anyone, but this is not my video. I found a clip that sounded exactly like how my engine sounds like. Made it easier for you guys to help me out =D.
Could be an exhaust leak. LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so I took of the valve cover and saw that everything looks ok. With the engine off I actually decided to see if any of the rocker arms have any play. I tested all of them on up and down motion and they are solid as a rock, but when i moved them from left to right at the nose of the rocker arms, all of them can be moved a little bit. Is this normal?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an exhaust leak.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lethal bird
It's an exhaust leak.
Yeah I think so too. So i finally turned her on with the valve covers off and she seems fine. no excessive or weird movement have the rocker arms created. Just up and down motion like they have to .
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

u can hear some taping going on..check the maifolds nolds to see if any are loose..heres my thread if it helps
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ne-helped.html
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
u can hear some taping going on..check the maifolds nolds to see if any are loose..heres my thread if it helps
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ne-helped.html
Thanks bro for the info. Yeah I am going to have to check the intake manifold thats for sure! Hopefully I can find out where is the leak. My car sounds like **** right now =(!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I found this, the gasket on the driver side exhaust manifold towards the rear of the engine is split in that area, the rest of the gasket seems to be intact between the surface of the exhaust manifold and the engine block it is in between both exhaust ports where the manifolds cover in which I think that this would not cause the leak right? Or could this cause my exhaust leak?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 AM
Launching!

buy some felpro 1406's. you'll be glad you did.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

When it is valvetrain related the noise is consistent with rpm. An exhaust leak becomes louder when there is load on the engine. You can easily find out the difference by driving the car and hitting the accelerator. If the noise becomes louder than most likely it is an exhaust leak.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
When it is valvetrain related the noise is consistent with rpm. An exhaust leak becomes louder when there is load on the engine. You can easily find out the difference by driving the car and hitting the accelerator. If the noise becomes louder than most likely it is an exhaust leak.
This was unfortunately not the case with my "squeak" that I experienced last year. It did not get louder with load or acceleration. It was a tricky little bastard to diagnose and I had several experienced ears and eyes on the damn thing. I agree that most exhaust leaks are diagnosed fairly easy, but there are some that just mess with your mind.

--Alan
Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383
This was unfortunately not the case with my "squeak" that I experienced last year. It did not get louder with load or acceleration. It was a tricky little bastard to diagnose and I had several experienced ears and eyes on the damn thing. I agree that most exhaust leaks are diagnosed fairly easy, but there are some that just mess with your mind.

--Alan
Far easier to spot with a manual car than an auto. Reason being is you can put a lot of load on the engine and still keep engine at low rpm... Did you try to accelerate with the stall locked at low mph/rpm?

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak or rocker noise?