LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Flow to Rocker assemblies, low maybe ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Flow to Rocker assemblies, low maybe ??

While chasing a lifter noise on my 94 LT vette, I decide to bite the bullet and set the valve lash with the motor running. I found the problem lifter, #3 exhaust. However I did notice that the oil flow is quite low on both banks vs the standard 350's I used to dink with. Its at best a trickle versus the geysers on my old 350s. Is this normal ??

Complete rebuild 2008 (eagle crank, rods, pistons, lt4 hot cam, 1.6 chevy rollers, melling oil pump,

2010 bent some push rods:
new ls lifters, comp molly push rods,

40 -60 lbs oil pressure hot, 80 cold (gauge may be off)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A trickle is all you need.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only get a trickle no need for any more.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently thought the same about that. Apparently at idle they dont do much of anything. Even when you start the car ive heard it can take up to 2 minutes for oil to get to them. I think that around 2000rpm or something the oil really starts to flow. I pinched a harness under a valve cover and learned the hard way...massive smoke show and my long tubes are probably permanently stained. They are very weird at idle, but I no longer wonder if oil gets to them while driving.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get very little also, my chevy LT4 rockers make ton of noise...its embarrassing. And i have had the roller tips freeze up to ware i had to break them free to move again. To much valvetrain noise whats the cure?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
I get very little also, my chevy LT4 rockers make ton of noise...its embarrassing. And i have had the roller tips freeze up to ware i had to break them free to move again. To much valvetrain noise whats the cure?
Corvette valve covers? Those are noise insulated for just that purpose. FWIW I've got the comp cam ultra pro magnums (the older version) and they aren't that noisy....pricy though.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Keep an eye on this thread, particularly my question and request for a specific picture. I wish I had taken the pic when I had both style lifters (stock LT vs LS) to show everyone.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...t1-lifter.html
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw a thread recently that stated we needed some narrow body rockers for our valve train. I am not thinking this is true. Can someone confirm this? I thought standard, any rocker body will work, right?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Teching In

This is kind of an old thread but i'll respond anyways. You don't "need" a narrow body rocker. Any rocker made for the LT1/LT4 is just fine. Some are noisy and others aren't. I use the Ultra Pro Mags myself (newer version) and they are great. Noisier than some of the others i've had but they've been great so far. I drive my car the way I built it to be driven and every time i've gone to adjust them before going to the track i've found they didn't even need it. OP: I wondered why I only saw a trickle when I first started building the LT1 and was concerned with the trickle as well but that's the way GM designed the motor. They decreased the flow to the rockers in the same way many race engine builders limit this flow in an attempt to decrease crank windage from oil draining back down onto the crank.

Quick Reply: Oil Flow to Rocker assemblies, low maybe ??