LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new A/C suddenly stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default new A/C suddenly stopped working

Friday, I had a shop replace the compressor, dryer, lines, and flush/recharge the system. The test drive with the tech and the ride home, it blew extremely cold. This morning, while on a short drive (15mi) it suddenly went from blowing cold to extremely hot.

I dont have gauges but before going back to the shop, Id like to see if theres anything I can do in the meantime to fix it. Im pretty sure it isnt a leak since that was the problem before and the symptoms are a gradual warming, not instant heat.
Im leaning towards it being electrical since the compressor clutch cycles on/off every second - I can see two plugs on the lines on top and another plug directly on the compressor - are theyre any others I can check?

Any other help is appreciated
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Google search shows cycling on/off every second indicates low freon... unless anyone has something else to add, looks like thats the issue

Mods, feel free to delete
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Did you open one of the valves to see if you still had pressure? Do you know if the a/c was filled with a dye to help detect leaks? I would say more than likely you have a leak and the pressure sensor has triggered disabling the compressor. Whatever the case may be, since you had it worked on by a shop you need to take it back.
The last shop outing I had with replacing/filling my system using a "new" refrigerant pump/recovery unit it passed the vacuum test with flying colors. By the time the system was refilled with 2lbs there was a puddle of refrigerant oil on the ground about 4" in diameter. We dismissed it as residuals since I had just blown out the lines with old oil. I drove it home and could hear a his where there was a pinhole in one of the high pressure lines.
You need to jack the car up and look underneath to see if you have any leaks. Usually shops use a green dye that can be easily spotted using a UV light, but can be spotted with no problem even without using a light. I'd start with the hard lines coming out of the back of the compressor.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely low on freon and definitely a leak. Nice diagnosis bro!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Did you open one of the valves to see if you still had pressure? Do you know if the a/c was filled with a dye to help detect leaks? I would say more than likely you have a leak and the pressure sensor has triggered disabling the compressor. Whatever the case may be, since you had it worked on by a shop you need to take it back.
The last shop outing I had with replacing/filling my system using a "new" refrigerant pump/recovery unit it passed the vacuum test with flying colors. By the time the system was refilled with 2lbs there was a puddle of refrigerant oil on the ground about 4" in diameter. We dismissed it as residuals since I had just blown out the lines with old oil. I drove it home and could hear a his where there was a pinhole in one of the high pressure lines.
You need to jack the car up and look underneath to see if you have any leaks. Usually shops use a green dye that can be easily spotted using a UV light, but can be spotted with no problem even without using a light. I'd start with the hard lines coming out of the back of the compressor.
the electrical connections are all fine - from the top, I cannot see any leaks and since the car is lowered 2+ inches, I cant see anything from below... either way, its going back to the shop. I'm guessing an o-ring wasnt installed
Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your compressor cycling on and off like someone mentioned, or did it just stop completely?

Mine stopped on me early last summer....the compressor just stopped cold. After checking for pressure, checking the switch, hot-wiring the compressor just to see if it would engage, etc. I was stumped. One of the techs in the shop suggested taking the battery cables loose and holding the positive and negative cables together for 30 seconds. It apparently reset everything and the AC started working again. I have no idea why it happened and it hasn't happened since.

It might be worth a try.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! Its actually at the shop now, picking it up in the morning. The compressor clicks on/off every second - I tried the +/- reset and no luck...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was hoping it would be that simple for you. Mine wasn't clicking on/off though....it just died. Maybe it will be a cheap o-ring....or at least you should be covered somehow since you just bought new stuff.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I bet it is an o-ring that mabye flipped when they put it in or something.

Quick Reply: new A/C suddenly stopped working