LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

so....im stumped!!!! man its frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default so....im stumped!!!! man its frustrating

Hellow everyone, as I was driving my 97 m6 home from work I got stuck at a red light... listening to some music WHEN all of a sudden my car started to shake for about 2 seconds and heard a loud noise coming from underneath the car (probably from the engine just dieing all of a sudden)...and BAM...it died. I was thinking, what the heck? So i tried to start the car and NOTHING.It sounded like it was going to start right back up...but it didnt, tried it a few more time and nothing. My "low oil" light has been on for some time noe...but i just got an oil change about a week ago (more on this as you read on). So i reach for my cell phone to call for assistance and wouldnt you guess it....YUP my damn cell phone was DEAD too...so im waiting on the side of the road for about 45 minutes hoping that someone i know will see me and stop. sure enough, some coworkers stop and lend a helping hand. i get my car towed home and i check the oil level on the dipstick..oil level is fine...WHAT THE HECK COULD IT BE!!!!! i also recently (a few months ago) changed the ICM and the ignition coil
Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Got spark/fuel pressure? Gotta start checking to narrow it down...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^yup...its not just gonna tell you while your stairing under the hood...or leave oil on the ground in the form of the answer.

Fuel and spark make it run.

How many miles on it...stock timing chain? pop drivers side valve cover off or use a flash light through the oil cap and see if the rockers are moving when you try to start it (easier with 2 people...just sayin).

More importantly...what music? That bullshit evanescence took out my 87 GTA. Tried to change the station to stop the horrible stuff, look up and BAM...in the backend of another vehicle. Some people would blame the driver, I blame evanescence.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Was it raining? Did you drive through a large puddle? Getting the Opti wet can cause this to happen. Also, the rotor separating inside the Opti can do this.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

3rd.
Fuel/Spark/Air/Compression <---one of those is your problem my friend.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ny_z28man
3rd.
Fuel/Spark/Air/Compression <---one of those is your problem my friend.
Fuel/spark/compression. You need air to have compression, sorry to be a wise ***. But yes, you have 3 things that could be wrong, and it sounds to me like your fuel pump died instantly for some reason. Toss a guage on the shrader valve and tell us what youve got.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Teching In

I had a problem like this . It was my opti :/ , but could be the others also .. Start small .
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Id like to know more about the "loud noise coming from underneath"

Kind of like family fued right now "name something that makes an LT1 stop running" ..."opti" "lets see if its up there....yes...87points..name another." "..fuel pump" "lets see if fuel pump is up there..yes it is...43 points..name another" "being parked next to an LS1 car and realizing its 'old tech'" "...hmmm..nope...not up there"
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Survey says: (bing)
"fuel pump"
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Ok....the. Car wouldn't start right away on the 1st try for a few months now. At the beginning of the issue, it would take about 2 try's to get the car started. Lately it's been taking more like 3 or 4 tries before car starts. Now the car won't start at all. Battery is dead so I tried to get a jump. Same issue, car won't start but sema like it wants to.i take the jumper cables off and the battery is completely drained ( not holding a charge) could this be a clue as to what's wrong with my car
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, no car is going to start with a dead battery, but unless you check the things already mentioned, you are not going to come to any real conclusions.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say, Fuel pump. The loud noise underneath was most likely the opti pulling mad timing as your fuel pressure dropped rapidly. As a guy that didn't think it was the fuel pump, I strongly urge you slap a gauge on the schrader and see what it says with the key forward. I can't recommend this enough.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Let me elaborate on that loud noise I think it is, back firing from the intake. Happens when timing gets pulled quickly. My problem was when I was at idle I was about 30*, step on it hard and it would drop to like 4-5* and back fire from the intake. It was loud.

Quick Reply: so....im stumped!!!! man its frustrating