LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gotta prime built lt1 sitting for 6 months ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta prime built lt1 sitting for 6 months ?

Taking alittle gamble on a car in my area. Worst case I can part it for the money I'm spending easily. Anyway. The car is apparently stripped and built back up. New cam pistons ported heads rockers lifters seals ect. Car had its break in and rings set. Oil was changed and now waiting for the first 500 mile change. But it hasn't been ran for half a year almost and the reasoning is he took the battery out an it needs a coolant line replaced

I think the car should be fine build the oil pressure up by pulling the fuel pump fuse and coil wire to build it up in small cranks then just fire it up ? I'm still getting more details and info but I've been looking at this for a bit and probably going to take the chance.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Sounds suspect to me. With that being said, I have let my car sit for longer periods than that on more than one occasion... Fires right up every time!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be more concerned with who did the build and who ported the heads. Just desnt seem right for someone to build a car that extensively then pull the battery and let it sit.

In response to your original question my car sat for about two years and I didn't prime anything just put fresh oil in it and started it. didn't make any strange noises.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

The seller gave me names and business of the guy that did a bulk of the work and the intake ported as well apparently. Also the story goes he's moving soon and has to many toys, we'll see about that when I actually go see it.

So more for the car actually sitting, the fact that the lifters and seals are new and haven't had oil flow since the break in roughly shouldn't be any real concern? Would the lifter height need to be checked again after the initial break in/ 500 miles or? One of the many new parts listed is a high flow oil pump with after market pan. If everything is functioning oil flow should be uptop in no time. I'll let everyone know if I dig in to it
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Once they are primed they are primed. Unless you pull the pan and take the pump off it's still primed. Lifters needing to pump up...sure I could see them leaking a tad and being bit noisy for a few seconds but thats it. I built mine and ran out of cash and it sat with only 500 miles on it because of a transmission failure. I thought about selling it at that point too lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

haha alright thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

sounds a bit fishy but if the car did sit for 6 months thats not too long of a time. My TA sat outside my uncles house for 5 UNGODLY years, forget what it did to the paint, the gas turned to varnish, oil was changed, than changed again for good measure, brake fluid-dirty, PS fluid-dirty, coolant-dirty, gear oil in the diff had lost its viscosity and was making noises, new oil fixed that, also new ATF in the T56 helped with syncro issues. Not saying that 6 months will do anything near that. Getting oil pressure going before firing it up would be a nice precaution, but id still want to hear it run before I bought it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Got initial breakin and then the battery was pulled and it needs a new coolant line???

That would make me suspicious of combustion pressure in the cooling system and he gave up immediately.
Far as having "names" of folks who did the work, the local roundy round builder here did a build for a guy I would consider a massive step backwards from stock. I hope I am proven wrong when the car is up and running.

"good" shops completely screwup LT1 builds all the time. Lower compression, cast aftermarket cranks etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

"good" shops completely screwup LT1 builds all the time. Lower compression, cast aftermarket cranks etc.
I can personally attest to this lmao! This is the story of my build even though I told them NOT to do those very things from the beginning. Hinz why I was ready to light it on fire and walk away especially when the "Built" trans from monster took a major puking **** right after getting it running. So I have a 10.5 to 1 383 with LE2 heads and cam that runs like a LE2 package bolted on to a stock bottom end. And I spent 3500 on a crap bottom end which came with cast crank and for some odd reason forged -16cc pistons??? Never got an explanation for that one. Bottom line Pay for nothing until it's built lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Here's the car in question, hopefully this works I'm on my phone. Ugh I don't know lol I may be able to rid myself this headache of a car i have and spend little cash to have an awesome built car or part it out if something is wrong for more spending cash then I have now. Win win right.

This was the last time it was running apparently.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stickers make it all good.

jaycenk monster is really bad. Thing is newbs are all too often convinced to do things badly, and much of the time they never even realize how badly, even when they see half the issues they still don't see it all.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You have to remember as well, the customer is the boss, so even if it is suggested to go another route and the customer says "ERMERGERD UZE CHEAP BERGERN PERTS FER MER BUILDRRR" then the shop will do what they are told.
I wouldn't put a dime towards that car until a leakdown was done and oil pressure was confirmed.

Quick Reply: Gotta prime built lt1 sitting for 6 months ?