LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help cooling fans won't come on 97 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help cooling fans won't come on 97 LT1

My cooling fans work if I put power to them directly they will not come on automatically. On my 1997 Camaro Hendricks addition LT1 I can't get the fans to work unless I put power to them directly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will it cause any problems if I just disconnected them and ran switches to manually turn them off and on. Can I put an aftermarket temp. gauge on this car and keep factory gauge as well
Thank you for any help you may be able to provide I know nothing about electronics all my other cars were built before computers
jack
Attached Thumbnails Need help cooling fans won't come on  97 LT1-65-ss-show-back.jpg   Need help cooling fans won't come on  97 LT1-20130108_154233-1.jpg  

Last edited by JRWMS; 03-06-2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: attach pics
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Launching!

This happened all of a sudden or what?

Lots of people run manual switches, but I'd be afraid to let someone else drive the car. It's be easy to overheat if you forgot about it.

Shbox.com has a how to for manual fan switches. But I would try to fix the problem first.

More details will help.

Steve
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Teching In

I believe it started doing it sporadically the one fan would come on when ac was on but ac sprung a leak now it won't come on. I put switches with lights on them that only operate with key on and nobody else drives it. Last time I let someone drive it it came back with rear tires burned off ( never again )
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Have you checked the relays and the signal coming into them? Also more importantly, does the temp gauge work?

I believe SLP has a manual override fan switch that plugs into the stock harness, but not 100% sure that it's for the LT1.

Even with the ad leak, as soon as the selector switch is set to ac it should trigger the fans regardless if I remember correctly.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Default fan

I have not checked relays I don't know much about the electronics. I bought a repair manual on ebay it arrived today. the first thing I will check is relays the temp gauge does not read correctly it will read very hot and I can take the cap off and put my finger into coolant which isn.t overly hot. I need to add an aftermarket one but it looks like it would eliminate the sensor plug unless I could put a tee in the place were sender goes and do it that way but if gauge isn't right will it send wrong signal to computer? I replaced the sender made no difference. I sure would like to know about an override switch plug;
thanks
jack
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Like I said.....shbox.com

Go there, everything you need is in there. There are two temp senders. There is also an unused port in the head where you tap into with an aftermarket sender and gauge.

That's all in the website.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 AM

I have a third gen and there is a temp(gauge sende)left side head near the exhaust manifold and a Fan temp switch on the right cylinder head(pass side) at the rear near the exhuast manifold. check that one if it has it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Hey man a while back i had the same issue with my 93 formula it would get quite hot you have the primary and secondary cooling fans primary kicks on around 200-220 but when you turn the a/c both primary and secondary run together the problem i had was the fan temp sensor located at the front side of the water pump which is the sensor that kicks on the primary fan i would inspect for damage and the overall condition of the brass part of the sensor if it's covered in gunk or looks bad thats most likely the problem

Quick Reply: Need help cooling fans won't come on 97 LT1