LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

355?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, let me say I've never started a thread, I've always researched old threads for all I need.

That said, I'm buying a newly stroked 355 for a lt4 hot cam kit in it. I'm on a pretty tight budget after buying this engine so nothing crazy. Should I port the heads with LE and keep the lt4 cam? With the bigger engine do I need to buy anything over stock on my intake? If I get a new cam do I need to replace all of the lt4 cam kit?

And what kind of rwhp am I looking at? I'll have a 3000 stall and 3.73 gears.

Its for a fun street car and a future strip car.. Sadly I have no strips close to me.

Oh, and CAI and headers back exhaust, and I'll be changing my tune after I put this in obviously.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 355 is not a "stroker". It's just a 0.030" over bored 350. You can do better than the hotcam kit. The rockers are about the only decent thing in the kit.
If you go with a bigger cam you need matching springs because the LT4 springs barely cover the Hotcam. If you had LE do the heads just have him spec you a cam too.

Also, give us some more specs on the motor, hopefully it's not somebodies mess that they gave up on and sold to you...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Launching!

My apologizes, I meant freshly machined not stroked.

"355 lt1 4bolt main block, all fresh machine work, total seal rings, all clevite bearings, crank was polished, scat rods, hypertech pistons. with 12:1 compression and dome pistons."

He offered to send the kit with it for a small amount extra, I figured I could put it in my old motor if I don't use it in this one.

What other specs would you want? I'm not used to bored engines or anything in the short block, I have done a lot of work on the top half of engines before.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VAformula
My apologizes, I meant freshly machined not stroked.

"355 lt1 4bolt main block, all fresh machine work, total seal rings, all clevite bearings, crank was polished, scat rods, hypertech pistons. with 12:1 compression and dome pistons."

He offered to send the kit with it for a small amount extra, I figured I could put it in my old motor if I don't use it in this one.

What other specs would you want? I'm not used to bored engines or anything in the short block, I have done a lot of work on the top half of engines before.
That doesn't sound too bad. At least they bumped up the compression (if thats accurate). If you're getting a really good deal on the kit, I would just use the rockers and get a different cam. The Hotcam works and has been proven but it's old and there is better cams out there.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Depending on your states emissions, or none at all, I would opt for a much more aggressive cam.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

get a specific piston PN and deck height.

I am not feeling as positive about this as the other poster.

Hypereutetic domes pistons????
12:1 when he was aiming for a HOT cam???

Domes are for when you are trying to get very high compression, if it has domes and only 12:1 I suspect they wanted to use a very thick gasket and likely not zero decked which will make quench crap and then that much static compression with such a small cam is going to be very likely to detonate.

The 4-bolt mains is basically meaningless, the two bolt is fine until a LIT more power than this thing will ever make. So don't see that as any "added value".
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will NEVER understand how someone can determine compression ratio without knowing CC volume and head gasket thickness. That should be a red flag along with everything else Dwayne mentioned.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
get a specific piston PN and deck height.

I am not feeling as positive about this as the other poster.

Hypereutetic domes pistons????
12:1 when he was aiming for a HOT cam???

Domes are for when you are trying to get very high compression, if it has domes and only 12:1 I suspect they wanted to use a very thick gasket and likely not zero decked which will make quench crap and then that much static compression with such a small cam is going to be very likely to detonate.

The 4-bolt mains is basically meaningless, the two bolt is fine until a LIT more power than this thing will ever make. So don't see that as any "added value".
He wasn't aiming for a hotcam, thats what the engine had in it when it got machined, he was going to sell it without the kit but like I said, it's a really good price on a kit and I'd put it on my current motor if I went to a different cam/heads. And its a four bolt main, I was just stating that as a part of what it had to give a full picture.

From what your saying do you think I NEED a bigger cam with this cam?

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I will NEVER understand how someone can determine compression ratio without knowing CC volume and head gasket thickness. That should be a red flag along with everything else Dwayne mentioned.
It's coming with heads, just everything but an intake, it's just not currently put together. Would this still be a red flag?

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Depending on your states emissions, or none at all, I would opt for a much more aggressive cam.
I'm not too worried about emmisions, as long as it isn't SUPER obvious that I fail
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

I think the compression guestimates are done "catalog style" with ASSumed values for deck height and gasket thickness and a generic combustion chamber size.

You bring up a good point though, most SBC chambers are bigger than LT1 chambers and if his shop ordered pistons that are listed at 12:1 with a dome for a standard SBC, hell they might not even fit in the LT1 chamber much less have useable compression on anything near pumpgas.

Just a quick Summit search says the smallest "dome" hypereutetic piston you can find there is a -.5cc which means the dome is just smaller than the reliefs with a shitty .020 deck height and standard felpro .039 gasket and 54ish CC chamber LT1 heads that is about 11.9:1.
If you go zero deck standard smallblock 64cc chamber 6cc dome and a .039 gasket you come out right at 12:1, but the dome probably wont fit in the 54-56 depending who you ask LT1 chamber.

Basically what I am saying is either you are relaying the information poorly or it is likely this was an ignorant build.

IF and that is a BIG IF it is setup to be 12:1 with LT1 heads and a dome that fits it is still inappropriate for a HOT cam and when it detonates a little from high ambient temps, mediocre quality batch of fuel, momentary starvation because you got on it too hard with low fuel in a corner etc. then it is likely to crack a hyperutetic piston.

Hypereutetic pistons are a great mild to moderate performance piston IDEA but I don't think anyone is actually making GOOD ones which is why for many street builds guys do a 4032 forged like the Mahle Powerpak not as strong as a 2618 but commonly available quality offering without any of the drawbacks 2618 has on the street. That is the good middle ground.

If I were to do a hypereutetic build I would keep the stock pistons. The thinnest rings I saw offered in hypereutetic are 1/16"/1/16"/3/16" which is 1.5875mm/4.7625mm
That is thicker than stock for more parasitic drag and likely more bore wear.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...much-more.html

That's the link to the ad. Just to show some of the information that way its not all relayed wrong.

And thank you for all the help! Please keep bringing it!

Last edited by VAformula; 03-14-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

to OP: do you have a specific goal other than saving money? What HP or TIMES you shooting for? Or, is it not a big deal... just a fun car that you'd like to run occasionally? Is this an AUTO or M6?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hyperzone
to OP: do you have a specific goal other than saving money? What HP or TIMES you shooting for? Or, is it not a big deal... just a fun car that you'd like to run occasionally? Is this an AUTO or M6?
Its an auto with a 3000 stall with 3.73 gears. It's a fun car for sure, it was my first car and however many times I've thought of leaving it but I've held on to it. I blew a head gasket a while back and decided that instead of just replacing that, while I was in there I would have some fun.

I would eventually like to have 400+rwhp. Its not a goal that I'm overly obessed with reaching. I have never thought of a bigger block due to my lack of knowledge in them and had wanted to do a good head/cam set from someone like LE. But when I saw this I thought I would buy it and use it instead.

Last edited by VAformula; 03-14-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

not if it if it were free.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Okay, so from what I'm reading there are some problems, is there anyway I could make this work? Shaving the heads? Or thicker gaskets?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quit bench building and just do the damn math............17 posts later and it still has yet to be done......96caprice is correct.......get the piston number find out the deck height and do some math there are a million CR calculators out on the web......just google it.......

also yes 12:1 on hypertutetic pistons is too high IMO but long as the tunes good and u dont spray it and the rings were gapped properly it should be ok

get the following info then come back.......

piston make and part number or cc of the piston?

and how far is the piston down the bore at TDC?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quit bench building and just do the damn math............17 posts later and it still has yet to be done......96caprice is correct.......get the piston number find out the deck height and do some math there are a million CR calculators out on the web......just google it.......

also yes 12:1 on hypertutetic pistons is too high IMO but long as the tunes good and u dont spray it and the rings were gapped properly it should be ok

get the following info then come back.......

piston make and part number or cc of the piston?

and how far is the piston down the bore at TDC?
I plan on spraying, and thank you, that's EXACTLY what I needed, I'll come back when I have that!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

if you plan on spraying id get those pistons out of there

Quick Reply: 355?