LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gm sunroof question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm sunroof question

Ok so Weird question but this forum seems to be the best for GM guys;

My brother opened up the sunroof on a 99 Pontiac Sunfire when he was checking it out for his daughter, and now the damn thing won't close. ( Why he thought it necessary to check in 30 degree weather in Cleveland, OH is beyond me, but now I'm stuck fixing it). I pulled off the headliner thinking I could:
A: find a manual crank to shut it
B: try and close it using a jumper wire.

I couldn't turn any Part or bolt or key manually to shut it. When I try to engage the motor with a jumper wire, the solenoid engages for the opening direction, but not for shutting it.

I just need to get this thing closed until the snow and rain let's up. I know this site is normally for Camaro advice, but all the research I could find on the net sucks, and the mechanics I know only work on Chrysler and tell me to find a GM guy to help.

Any support would be great, thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you thought the LT1 section was a good place to ask this question....
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

^ that was helpful.

NUC, I suggest you pull into a Chevy or Buick dealership and let their service department have a go at it. Most if not all the sunroofs around here are manual.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

can maybe ask in the fith gen section but then again i doubt any of there sunroofs have stopped working already......
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually have to tear down the headliner to see the tracks... then you can move it. since its a sunfire just tape some tarp over the window
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help; turns out there is a pontiac sunfire forum out there... Hopefully its as good as the guys are on LS1tech. Thanks for the help again.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Ok so I hope no one has to deal with closing a sunroof; there wasnt a lot out there and the pontiac forum didn't really get a lot of traffic/views...

I took a chance and dropped the headliner, removed the motor and the sunroof could be manually pushed into a vent position. To drop the glass down into a closed position, there is a bracket on the inside of the track (tricky to access, I found you can use a long flathead screwdriver to collapse it) towards the front of the sliding mechanism attached to the glass. Once I pushed the bracket in it allowed the roof to drop down... Wish I had a video camera to post a video to show the parts I'm talking about. I'll post some pics if I get a chance...

I only cared about getting the sunroof closed. I'm sure it gets more complicated to make it operational but that got the roof closed and a tarp off of the car until the weather gets better.

Good luck if anybody else is reading this to get theirs closed. Thanks for the help from all who replied.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sunroofs suck (I used to work for toyota, so I had to deal with 4runners/sequioas mainly) and had to drop the whole headliner. ugh

Quick Reply: Gm sunroof question