LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Feels under powered between 1800-2000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 Feels under powered between 1800-2000 RPM

Was just driving around today and started to notice a small stumble or almost a bog, especially when im in 1st or 2nd gear from about 1800-2000 RPM. I know this is real low rpm, but it accelerates fine until about 1800 then it kinda bogs or stumbles. It almost feels like the e brake is left on for that short period of time. I dont have a clue what it could be. It just kinda feels underpowered. Once i get past 2000ish it goes away. And when I get on it moderately or hard. It goes away. So i am thinking it has to do with fuel. But maybe optispark? But i feel like it would stumble on the top end also if it was the opti. I can run it hard all the way to 6200 RPM and it runs hard no stumbles. So i am thinking it has to do with fuel. Not sure, NEED HELP! Let me know what you are thinking.
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Launching!

try cleaning your MAF......

when was last time you changed the fuel filter. At lower fuel pressures might be clogged up enough to do that. And at WOT is the fuel system seeing the highest fuel pressure it is set for. More vacuum the lower the fuel pressure to a certain point that is.

if it was a bad opti it wouldn't rev to 6200, when mine went it out right about 3900 it broke up.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Reminds me of when my opti started going bad. Would miss hard around 1800 rpm but ran fine below and above it. And it would rev out all the way to the top, still.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would also check spark plugs, I had a car that would hesitate on acceleration, turned out the wrong spark plugs were in the engine. Had no idea.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM
8 Second Club

I had loss of power at lower RPMs due to a burnt wire.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys today i drove around for a good 30min just seeing if i could get an idea of exactly what it is doing. I noticed it only seems to do this when the air conditioning is on. That makes sense because i just got my windows tinted yesterday and I havent used the AC since before winter. Also i noticed it would the same thing between 2500 and 2800 rpm. So i went and tested the alternator, it is fine. One thing i found is when they tested the battery. The battery is rated for 650 CCA and after charging it only put out 445. So do you think the battery could be it?? I have never had any problems starting or anything electrical before so im not sure. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
Was just driving around today and started to notice a small stumble or almost a bog, especially when im in 1st or 2nd gear from about 1800-2000 RPM. I know this is real low rpm, but it accelerates fine until about 1800 then it kinda bogs or stumbles. It almost feels like the e brake is left on for that short period of time. I dont have a clue what it could be. It just kinda feels underpowered. Once i get past 2000ish it goes away. And when I get on it moderately or hard. It goes away. So i am thinking it has to do with fuel. But maybe optispark? But i feel like it would stumble on the top end also if it was the opti. I can run it hard all the way to 6200 RPM and it runs hard no stumbles. So i am thinking it has to do with fuel. Not sure, NEED HELP! Let me know what you are thinking.
Thanks!
Couple questions:

Is it an A4 automatic?

Do you put 93 or at-least 91 octane?

Because mine kinda hesitates when im at around 1500rpm as I give it some gas and kicks into gear when im about half throttle. Its an automatic so that is what they do. Nothing wrong with my car though. Auto LT1’s hesitate sometimes when you give is gas in low RPM. They stop it when your about 2400rpm+
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Evil Opti
Auto LT1’s hesitate sometimes when you give is gas in low RPM. They stop it when your about 2400rpm+
I've never, in my 7 LT1s had one that hesitates unless it was tuned incorrectly or had a mechanical fault.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Nope it is a 6 Speed.. and its running 92 right now. Im thinking its the battery, or something with the AC itself, because it runs fine at least i dont notice anything when the AC is off, also i can use just the fan not the AC and it runs fine
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

I just had an AC compressor lock up on my daily driven WS6. While it was going out I experienced basically what you are. It would even die occasionally at an idle.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
I just had an AC compressor lock up on my daily driven WS6. While it was going out I experienced basically what you are. It would even die occasionally at an idle.
Really? I have never heard of that happening. Anyway to check it?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
I've never, in my 7 LT1s had one that hesitates unless it was tuned incorrectly or had a mechanical fault.
Well mine is stock computer, wires, and everything else (plugs, O2 sensors, opti, AC motor) is new and hesitates alittle in low gear in low rpm when you give it some gas. Once the gas pedal is open enough it shifts into a higher rpm and the light hesitation goes away. That is normal from the automatic SBC’s ive driven. If anything what kind of issues could this sound like if there is any?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Mines a 6 speed though..
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Well mine is stock computer, wires, and everything else (plugs, O2 sensors, opti, AC motor) is new and hesitates alittle in low gear in low rpm when you give it some gas. Once the gas pedal is open enough it shifts into a higher rpm and the light hesitation goes away. That is normal from the automatic SBC’s ive driven. If anything what kind of issues could this sound like if there is any?
Doesn't sound like hesitation to me.. Sounds like transmission kick-down.

Just shifting gears, not "hesitating"
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KFtransam
Doesn't sound like hesitation to me.. Sounds like transmission kick-down.

Just shifting gears, not "hesitating"
Are you two oblivious? He has said repeatedly that his car has a 6 speed in it. As in a T56. As in a mother ******* manual transmission that doesn't have no cousin ******* transmission kickdown in it, you *** clowns!

OP, it sounds compressor pulley related since it's only happening when you have the air conditioning on.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Because mine kinda hesitates when im at around 1500rpm as I give it some gas and kicks into gear when im about half throttle.

> IT'S AN AUTOMATIC <

so that is what they do. Nothing wrong with my car though. Auto LT1’s hesitate sometimes when you give is gas in low RPM. They stop it when your about 2400rpm+
See what that says there?
Automatic?
As in, has four gears and a torque converter.

Next time.. Read the posts before throwing a temper tantrum, *** clown.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Automatic?

I understand that some people have a slight mental deficiency because their parents are from the same gene pool. Now, if you could quit ******* the critters in your barnyard for a minute, I want you to take a look at what the op's car has and say that out loud to yourself.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Automatic?

Damn lol I didnt know there were so many trolls on this forum. Clearly im talking about my car. Like I told the other kid reread and interpret that im talking about my car *** clown.

Last edited by Evil Opti; 05-12-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Damn lol I didnt know there were so many trolls on this forum. Clearly im talking about my car. Like I told the other kid reread and interpret that im talking about my car *** clown.
Why is your car relevant to the OP's issues? None of the bickering and *** clownery is helping the guy's car with the problem.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
I understand that some people have a slight mental deficiency because their parents are from the same gene pool. Now, if you could quit ******* the critters in your barnyard for a minute, I want you to take a look at what the op's car has and say that out loud to yourself.
I love how a few people get bent out of shape because im talking about my car having a hesitation problem in low rpm as an AUTOMATIC. I already know the OP’s car is 6 speed, but will morons read the posts correctly before they turn into trolls? Nope! All I was stating is sometimes my car hesitates and feels like it loses power until I give it enough gas. How the **** does that simple statement let born babies start crying ? BTW you are right about some people being born with slight mental deficiencies. Mainly comprehending! ^^^

Last edited by Evil Opti; 05-12-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 Feels under powered between 1800-2000 RPM