LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 355 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 355 Build

I decided I'd finally post this since I have everything in place ready to go and it's at my friends house ready to put together.

Parts:

Corvette 350 4 bolt main block
All fresh machine work:
Bored .30 over
Stock crank was polished
Scat rods
Hypoeutectic dome pistons (read below)

Went with a used AI set up that was in a 355

Cam: 228/234 @.050, (.612/.612 rated at 1.6, I'm running 1.5's) 111LSA
Heads are the AI 200cc heads

1.5 Scorpion NSA Roller Rockers
Trickflow guide plates and pushrods

Either the stock timing chain or I'm possibly buying a Cloyes double roller timing chain

58mm intake ported by AI
58mm BBK TB
30lb injectors

160 thermostat
BBK under driven puller

New waterpump/opti/etc

Transmission:

Either a rebuilt 93 700r4 in my garage or my 4l60 that I currently have in the car.

Either one would be running a Yank SS 4000 stall and a transmission cooler

Now, the reason for the pistons. I bought the block with those pistons in it, I know I'll be running a high compression but I know I can make those pistons fit and I'm not going through the work of changing them out, I've been over this with my builder and we believe that we're not putting enough pressure on them to HAVE to go forged. I know a lot of y'all will probably tell me to go forged, but quite honestly I can't really afford it at this point.

Please, let me know what you think of my build and give me feedback! I will post pics of engine/car/work being done soon!

Last edited by VAformula; 08-22-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

The Hyper-u pistons will be fine.
Would seriously consider using 1.6 rockers
Your cam is fine too considering it's a HR you can run a knock sensor therefore it can be taken safely on the street even on hot days.
Use good quality double springs. No beehive bullshit (IMO of course).
No idea about Scorpion rockers. If it were me I'd run Crane Golds or Comp HiTechs.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

You're not running boost or spray so those slugs will do just fine. I run the Scorpions 1.6s and they are some beefy bitches so you'll have no problem whatsoever there. I'd go ahead and pick up the double roller chain for the peace of mind. I'd also go with an electric water pump if your budget allows. Thats one of those "might as well do while I got the motor apart" mods that I wouldn't pass up the opportunity on knocking out.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything looks good but as previously mentioned, I'd use 1.6 rockers.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What compression are you going to run with those domes? Sounds like a good street motor. With that big cam and those heads, will likely need larger than stock injectors. Good advice above on the rockers, springs, and timing chain, what lifters are you using?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds somewhat similar to mine but I've got cp pistons and forged eagle components. I'd like to see what this thing makes for power and some time slips. Is this gonna be a street car or taken to the track?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be a stout combination when dialed in.

Just as mentioned swap out the 1.5s for 1.6s and make sure the valve springs are still in spec and use nothing other then double springs. An electric waterpump is something also to consider to free up some more bolton power.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Launching!

The reason for the 1.5's is because I have brand new PAC springs that came with the heads, but they are only rated to .600 lift, and the cam has .612 lift

I don't exactly have the money for the rockers and the springs, also I'm afraid that with the added lift, I won't have room for the dome pistons (its tight as it is, running the tests soon!)

We did a thread about them and I was told that 1.5's would be "OKAY" for my application and wouldn't hurt me too much.

Also, this car will hopefully be a street/strip and fun cruiser car. It was my first car and I hope to have fun with it.

As for what compression, I'm still trying to figure that out, but it will probably be near 12.7:1-13:1

May run small spray in the future if possible.

Keep the advice coming, posting some pics tomorrow

Last edited by VAformula; 05-24-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
What compression are you going to run with those domes? Sounds like a good street motor. With that big cam and those heads, will likely need larger than stock injectors. Good advice above on the rockers, springs, and timing chain, what lifters are you using?
I'm using 30 lb injectors and they're ls7 lifters I do believe, they're very lightly used. And thanks for the encouragement guys!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VAformula
As for what compression, I'm still trying to figure that out, but it will probably be near 12.7:1-13:1

May run small boost in the future if possible.
I wouldn't boost this motor if I were you!! Your CR and hyper-u pistons won't get along well with boost. Plus, thats a wide LSA for boost.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spraydformula
I wouldn't boost this motor if I were you!! Your CR and hyper-u pistons won't get along well with boost. Plus, thats a wide LSA for boost.
Edited, I lost my train of thought, I meant to say small amount of spray, not boost. I'm not a big fan of boost due to my lack of use with it and would like to stay all engine for a long time
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spraydformula
I'd also go with an electric water pump if your budget allows. Thats one of those "might as well do while I got the motor apart" mods that I wouldn't pass up the opportunity on knocking out.
Yeah, I don't know if I want to do the water pump mod, I have 3 regular pumps and I'm afraid of the electrics going out on me while I'm driving and me possibly not noticing for whatever reason.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Need to decide for sure the rocker ratio, with domes as you stated piston to valve clearance is going to be tight. A higher ratio rocker will give you more lift, what clears now with a 1.5 may not with a 1.6/.7. Make sure you know what rocker that cam asks for, use that one. Don't want to cut corners on the valve trane. Those LS7 lifters should work fine, hear of a lot of guys using them with success.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Edited, I lost my train of thought, I meant to say small amount of spray, not boost. I'm not a big fan of boost due to my lack of use with it and would like to stay all engine for a long time
That makes more sense.

Yeah, I don't know if I want to do the water pump mod, I have 3 regular pumps and I'm afraid of the electrics going out on me while I'm driving and me possibly not noticing for whatever reason.
I did the electric water pump almost a decade ago after having the stock one go out on me. As long as the wiring is done correctly and not hacked together, it'll be fine and way more reliable (IMO) than the stock unit. Here's a decent thread on electric vs. cam driven WPs.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=251676
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1)I would buy a Rollmaster timing set instead of what you mentioned. Many NHRA Stockers run that one with great results. Call Scoggin Dickey for one.

2)Piston domes have zero to do with valve-to-piston clearance.

3) 111 lsa is not "wide" for a boosted or nitrous engine. Not sure where that came from.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
3) 111 lsa is not "wide" for a boosted or nitrous engine. Not sure where that came from.

Good luck
This was a result of me thinking about multiple things and typing at the same time. Sorry. I meant to say too tight of an LSA. I would think that he'd bleed off a significant amount of cylinder pressure with the amount of overlap that cam would produce.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
1)I would buy a Rollmaster timing set instead of what you mentioned. Many NHRA Stockers run that one with great results. Call Scoggin Dickey for one.

2)Piston domes have zero to do with valve-to-piston clearance.

Good luck
1) I'll look it up, thanks for the advice!

2) You totally lost me there..... how do they not?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Valve pocket depth does, domes do not. They would if the valves went straight up & down, instead of on a 23 degree angle. Think about it. :-)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Launching!

So there's a bunch of pictures! The green Camaro is the car that the engine came out of, the engine was never run, just built. You can see some pics of the tear down I did to it, (not touching the short block but did take the hot cam out). You can also see my car which has been sitting for over 2 years, I plan on repainting the front and rear bumper as they are completely faded.

I work for a long time, but next Thursday I should be rebuilding everything to have it ready for the swap.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres a link to the pistons. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h617cp. I ran the numbers and with stock deck height, .049 head gasket and 56cc combustion chamber I got 13.31:1. With a 52cc chamber and .029 gasket it was 15.32:1

Quick Reply: My 355 Build