LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What throwout bearing to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What throwout bearing to use?

Just got all my clutch parts and want to get a good throwout bearing, am I able to run the square lt4 throwout bearing on my lt1?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

yes, I have for years. FWIW any aftermarket clutch uses the LT4 PP
Attached Thumbnails What throwout bearing to use?-bearings-square-right.jpg   What throwout bearing to use?-bearing-spec.jpg   What throwout bearing to use?-bearings.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

those are pics of the lt1 throwout bearing...I was looking at the ecklers corvette with the square face to to make sure...before i buy it and there is no fitment issures?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

last pic is the LT4 type. it came with a SPEC clutch I used to have.

ping SPEC as they "claim" to offer a better quality TO bearing for the pull clutch for around $85. It may be on their site but if not call them
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

ok well i think the elckers one will do with the square head, seeing that it it thicker and looks more worthy of torture...
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

You might want to follow up with what ***** said, he has alot of good clutch info. To me Ecklers just seems to want to squeeze us for every last buck they can.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

yea ecklers likes to upcharge just because it has "corvette" on their website ill look into the one from spec but i have heard horror stories from spec throwout bearings
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah the "square" one has more meat on the bones. eckers wants over $100 so I would check SPEC as I suspect that is the one they offer. The one I have says made in China so maybe there is one made in USA from someone like Timken
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I wish there was a timken version.. I would pay for that..

Do you know if there is an ARP bolt for the flywheel as i have searched and got many different part numbers of people saying use this one and that one?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

regardless of round or square to TO bearing people have had good luck welding some beads from the rolled area to the square top (or round top) to prevent the top from pulling off down the road. I hope you find a good TO bearing......so much chinese junk.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
I wish there was a timken version.. I would pay for that..

Do you know if there is an ARP bolt for the flywheel as i have searched and got many different part numbers of people saying use this one and that one?
Here's a link to ARP PP bolts, which are a new item in the LT1 world.
http://arp-bolts.com/images/releases/134-2202.pdf
Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
you are the man

how about the flywheel any new products for that?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

blk3

spec lists a "bearing" for $85.99....which may be the square top one. don't know where it is made but aparently they "upgraded" to something. worth a call

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1996/Single

ARP makes FW bolts. IIRC 7/16-20 x 1". just check ARP website or call them for part #

also people have welded a bead under top lip to help prevent lip from folding up. Never happened to me but some have experienced TO bearing lips folding up. If doing the weld mod be carefull not to lay bead to deep as clutch fork rests against top of bearing to release clutch. I believe they just welded at the corners of the square ones but I have never done any welding on one
Attached Thumbnails What throwout bearing to use?-mcleod-twin-installed.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

YES, they recently started making this....a must have since GM stoped years ago.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
blk3

spec lists a "bearing" for $85.99....which may be the square top one. don't know where it is made but aparently they "upgraded" to something. worth a call

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1996/Single

ARP makes FW bolts. IIRC 7/16-20 x 1". just check ARP website or call them for part #

also people have welded a bead under top lip to help prevent lip from folding up. Never happened to me but some have experienced TO bearing lips folding up. If doing the weld mod be carefull not to lay bead to deep as clutch fork rests against top of bearing to release clutch. I believe they just welded at the corners of the square ones but I have never done any welding on one
I called and it is the square one just in case anyone else was wondering...I too have heard of welding the throwout bearing but I believe when the bearing folds is due to user error on installation
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

If you buy the Spec square top TO bearing could you post back up if its made in USA? A while back ****** had quite a heated discussion with Spec about their clutches and TO bearings, IIRC Spec claimed their TO bearing was superior to others and made in the USA.
THX.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

If you buy the Spec square top TO bearing could you post back up if its made in USA? A while back ****** had quite a heated discussion with Spec about their clutches and TO bearings, IIRC Spec claimed their TO bearing was superior to others and made in the USA.
THX.
Well I tried asking about it over the phone but could not get what brand the bearing was and where it was made. I felt like they just did not want to answer the question so Instead of trying to pry it out of him ill wait till i get it since there really is not any other option to purchase this part since ecklers does not carry it in stock. I will post info once i recieve it in the mail
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had the lip on my circular TO tear off a few months ago. It was the TO that came new with my Competition Clutch. I couldn't find a square top TO anywhere so I went with one from nook and tranny. Wish I'd known spec made one.

I thought about putting a bead under the lip of my new one, but had never heard of that. May do it next time the trans is out
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
I called and it is the square one just in case anyone else was wondering...I too have heard of welding the throwout bearing but I believe when the bearing folds is due to user error on installation
Here is the first Chinese **** TOB that failed and I can assure you it had nothing to do with install. It is IMO, poor assembly process when the lip is rolled over the top because the bend was inconsistent and thin due to too sharp a bend. You can probably also blame cheap *** metal too.

I posted long ago how I welded the hat on my Chinese **** LT4 TOB and here is the pic. To this day, it has worked fine. The welds take the stress out where the lip is bent. One thing to remember if you weld one, do one tack at a time and cool it with water or risk melting the plastic sleeve and trashing it.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 2 noisey TOBs from SPEC so far... I hope mine doesn't asplode like that

Quick Reply: What throwout bearing to use?