LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trying to figure out what my mechanic did with my opti vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Trying to figure out what my mechanic did with my opti vent hose

I was repairing a coolant line, and had to remove the intake elbow. I noticed when I lifted the elbow up, that this vent hose was NOT attached to anything and there was a screw at the end.

I recently switched from an MSD distributor to an OEM Delphi. He had to order in a new harness (not sure if he said vent-hose or a different type of harness) I sense that I may have been charged for parts that were not put on my car, but I need a confirmation.

Would this also explain why my car has been behaving erratically? Not starting when it's wet and severe hesitation when I floor it from a deadstop.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did he order the wrong unit? Like a non-vented 93-94 distributor? That would explain why theres nowhere to plug in the vent tube.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Did he order the wrong unit? Like a non-vented 93-94 distributor? That would explain why theres nowhere to plug in the vent tube.
I'm pretty sure a 92-94 won't fit without a few modifications. I ordered the distributor myself from an ebay vendor.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Epro
I'm pretty sure a 92-94 won't fit without a few modifications. I ordered the distributor myself from an ebay vendor.
There should be a place for it to go on the opti then lol take the screw out and put it back on?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lmao wtf.

You definitely don't want the opti side vent port to be plugged or open, get under the car and check it.

Last edited by Puck; 07-31-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol never take it back to that mechanic again is all I can say.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

You're lucky that hasn't bounced into the pully/belt system over a bump or around a corner or anything lol.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For proper lifespan of an Opti, it needs to have fresh air circulated through it to prevent ozone build up, moisture, and corrosion. This is why the vented opti cap/rotors last longer then the early spline drive style ones, and it is always recommended to at least get a vented cap like the MSD piece for a non-vented opti.

Plugging the vent hose is bad bad bad, best case scenario is a shortened life span by either slow death by terminal corrosion or quickly by moisture getting inside and ruining the sensor.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whytryz28
lol never take it back to that mechanic again is all I can say.
This was suppose to be one of the best GM guys around... lmao

Originally Posted by Puck
For proper lifespan of an Opti, it needs to have fresh air circulated through it to prevent ozone build up, moisture, and corrosion. This is why the vented opti cap/rotors last longer then the early spline drive style ones, and it is always recommended to at least get a vented cap like the MSD piece for a non-vented opti.

Plugging the vent hose is bad bad bad, best case scenario is a shortened life span by either slow death by terminal corrosion or quickly by moisture getting inside and ruining the sensor.
Fingers crossed. I take it I shouldn't drive it until I get the vent hose hooked up again?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....Fingers crossed. I take it I shouldn't drive it until I get the vent hose hooked up again?
Well, as "MasterTomos" said, you're lucky the hose didn't get thrashed by the serpentine belt. Obviously, you've been driving the car, and I'll assume without any serious side effects, so I think it would be safe to drive it a little longer, until you can figure out what your "best GM guy around" did. HOWEVER, I'd duct tape the hose to something like the radiator support, to keep it out of the way of moving parts.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Teching In

where the heck is the other hose? should be a vacuum hose running to opti from the driver side of the intake. if it is a vented opti cap are the inlet/outlet on the opti plugged to keep moisture out? do you still have the receipt for the opti? post part number if you do.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Well, as "MasterTomos" said, you're lucky the hose didn't get thrashed by the serpentine belt. Obviously, you've been driving the car, and I'll assume without any serious side effects, so I think it would be safe to drive it a little longer, until you can figure out what your "best GM guy around" did. HOWEVER, I'd duct tape the hose to something like the radiator support, to keep it out of the way of moving parts.
I gave him the car because it wasn't starting when it was damp out... I got the car back, and it still won't start if there's any moisture present. The car would also bog hard when I floored it from a dead stop... it still does this.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Well a properly vented opti will have the moisture sucked out. Everyone always says its hard to put a 95-97 vented on a 92-94 non vented, but replacing my opti with a vented MSD was the first thing I did 7 (8?) years ago when I was a complete newb and it was literally zero issue from what I recall. I just had to put a hole in my elbow for a vent hose like you have plugged with a screw haha
Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a picture of the opti cap, and these cars are pretty simple to work on. Id say after seeing your mechanics work you would be better off doing it your self lol

OP where are you located, perhaps a member thats local could take a look at it.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Launching!

If it's vented you should be able to get under the car and connect it to the bottom right side of the opti
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Looks par for the course for a genyewwhine aye ess eee certeeeeeeefied mechanic. Probably could not locate where the vacuum hose belongs since it's not really obvious where it goes. Therefore, instead of flipping a few pages in a manual, decided to be a lazy pile of **** and take the easy way out.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KyleW707
If it's vented you should be able to get under the car and connect it to the bottom right side of the opti
Will I have to take anything apart? Is there a clip or some type of clamp to hold it in place?

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Looks par for the course for a genyewwhine aye ess eee certeeeeeeefied mechanic. Probably could not locate where the vacuum hose belongs since it's not really obvious where it goes. Therefore, instead of flipping a few pages in a manual, decided to be a lazy pile of **** and take the easy way out.
I lol'd.

I called and got his front desk guy. I left a message, I doubt he'll call back, lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Takes 2 minutes, there is a small port on the opti that hose plugs into...nothing to take apart. The port should be pointing towards the drivers side of the car. Take the screw out, slide it on the opti. Ideally you want a small clamp or hell even a zip tie would work to hold the hose on the opti port.

That is some junk work for a certified mechanic...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Hopefully the vent port on the opti isn't sealed off somehow, or broken off ect.

Do you recall if the opti unit had the vent on it when you bought it OP?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Hopefully the vent port on the opti isn't sealed off somehow, or broken off ect.

Do you recall if the opti unit had the vent on it when you bought it OP?
I ordered the vented one for sure. I didn't live where my car was located at the time of the repair, so whether I was sent the wrong one is beyond me right now. My parents had to pick up the package for me. Would explain why he didn't put the hose back in.

I will check it out when I get home.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out what my mechanic did with my opti vent hose