LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker Arm Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm Problems..

So I bought an lt1 a couple of years ago and finally got around to putting it in my Camaro last year, about a month ago I pulled the valve covers off to go back through the rocker arms to find one of the rocker arms just laying there on the passenger side. The nut pulled through the bottom of the rocker arm, I never seen this before and I asked around and everyone told me it must've been a weak rocker so I replaced it. Today I started it and heard a slight tapping, pulled the cover off and found a rocker very loose, took it off to find the nut started pulling through the bottom of another one. Anyone have any idea what would cause this? They are only roller tip rockers, lt4 springs, .520 lift cam.. I thought maybe I should go to full roller rockers but I don't want to waste the money if they are going to do the same thing.

Thanks,
Cody

Last edited by ccornell_rs; 08-17-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like maybe some crappy rockers?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the slot on the rocker long enough for the lift?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Teching In

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet

These are the rocker arms I have, Someone told me it could be coil bind, will I be able to check that if I just crank the motor over and watching the springs?

When I got the motor it came with the heads already assembled and the cam, I was "told" they were lt4 springs, I should've checked for sure before installing. The cam also came with it and I sent the numbers in to get the specs back for it. I guess it's a little bigger than my original post after finding the email.

Adv. duration 287/293, @.050 236/242 .520/.540 lift w/ 1.5 rocker separation 114, centerline 110.

Maybe I need to get better springs? or just go back to 1.5 rocker arms...

Last edited by ccornell_rs; 08-18-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

if they are LT4 springs then you are going to have a lot of issues. the LT4 spring is barely good enough for the hot cam much less the cam you have. Invest in a good heavier dual spring and get NON self aligning full roller rockers, you'll be happier

http://www.lunatipower.com/News.aspx?id=79 that would probably work good if im not mistaken. Maybe some other people will chime in on the spring recommendations...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Update on the situation:

I got a feeler gauge and checked for coil bind, I had at least .060" between the coils when it was compressed.. I also checked the pushrod by checking the wear mark on the top of the valve and all the ones I checked the mark was almost right in the middle..

I'm thinking about just getting nsa roller rockers and seeing if that fixes it. The rockers I have on now have a mark on the bottom where it looks like it hits the top of the spring..

What rocker arms do you recommend without breaking the bank?

Edit: I'm not sure what springs I have, but they are dual springs so they aren't lt4 I'm assuming comp since it came with a comp cam and hardened comp pushrods.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ccornell_rs
What rocker arms do you recommend without breaking the bank?
Not sure what your definition is of that, but you never want to skimp on the valvetrain. Comp Pro Mags are the best bang for the buck.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Quick update, I've been dealing with the situation on another forum.

They aren't lt4 springs, I took one off last night because I'm going to take it to the machine shop to see if they can give me some specs on it. They are triple springs.

I checked for coil bind and I have at least .060" between coils.

Checked pushrods and the wear mark is right in the middle.

I did realize I have SA rockers w/ guideplates.. Pretty sure that's causing some problems.

My rocker arms are touching/pushing on the retainer when the valve is closed causing it to leave a mark on the bottom off the rockers along with the retainer.

So the next step is to figure out what springs I have and most likely get a new set, along with new nsa rocker arms and hopefully solve my problem so I can get my car out before winter...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Using self-aligning rockers with guideplates is a HUGE no-no. You need to fix that ASAP.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

A triple spring is probably going to have too much pressure when closed. Why replace what you have if what you have is wrong? Get a good dual spring and some 1.6 pro mags. The 977 from comp would work on that cam if the installed height is right. You could also run the lunati kit that has a 77 in the part number as well. I would re check the push rod length after you get the rest sorted out. Sounds like a hack was in there, now its up to you to make it right and I would not try to do duplicate replacement on any of those parts or you will likely end up right back where you are now.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm Problems..