LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

24x knock sensor voltage (UPDATE!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 24x knock sensor voltage (UPDATE!!)

According to Shoeboxs site, the wire going to the knock sensor should have 5 volts. Is this the same for the 24x swap?

Last edited by ascastil; 01-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Launching!

I tested the voltage at the connector and it doesnt have any. I then tested for voltage at the pcm and its the same, although im not sure Im making a good connection. Im gonna try tomorrow when Im not so tired. I was starting to get nervous shoving a paper clip down into the pin next to the wire. With the key on engine off, shouldnt it show voltage?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 24x

I am trying to trouble shoot my 24x kit on my LT1 using a PSI built stand alone harness and a #411 PCM from an 02 Tahoe. I am beyond frustrated trying to get spark! Without an ocyilloscope, I don't know if I'm getting the right wave form, but, I do know I'm getting a 2V AC signal from the crank and 4V from the cam sensors. All other sensors are producing signals I can see live on my HP tuner, on an EFI live and on a snap on scanner with the exception of those two sensors. I've swapped pcm's for known good one and I get the same outcome. Signal into the PCM and nothing out to the coils. The pump runs continuously and I had all of the injectors dumping fuel. I pulled the pump relay and cleared the cyls. EFI connections has helped somewhat, but they have no answers.
Can you run a crank to start pid and tell me what you see from the crank and cam sensors? Your knock sensor isn't a 5v its a GND. I'll look at my charts to be sure though. Any help you might give would be appreciated! I have triple digit hours in this and the shop I sent it to has close to the same. It's rediculous!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Launching!

So it shouldnt have 5v? Im getting a p0332. Took it in to have some work done and got it back with this code. I ohmed the sensor but it was CLOSE to being within spec so i ruled that out, i believe within thousandths.

I dont have any tools to scan the car with to help you btw. Im sorry. I think thats what youre asking.

Last edited by ascastil; 10-01-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Anyone????? Maybe id be better off posting in the ls section.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Launching!

I replaced the knock sensor with an Autozone one. The code went away for about 4-5 days then came back on Sunday. Even took it to emissions test on Friday and it passed. Ill give it another shot with my question, am I supposed to be having 5v going to the sensor? I traced the wire all the way back to the pcm and didnt see any damage to the wire, but there was no voltage going to the sensor iirc.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would imagine it has to have some voltage on the wire from the PCM, but the info on my site is for the LT1 PCM. I am guessing that the PCM you are using requires 2 knock sensors, since the code you are getting is for the bank 2 sensor. Do you have 2 sensors installed and are you sure you are checking the correct wire(s) back to the PCM?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I am still using 1 knock sensor. I checked the correct pin on the pcm, cant remember the exact spot, but bp automotive told me which pin was for the knock sensor.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ascastil
I am still using 1 knock sensor. I checked the correct pin on the pcm, cant remember the exact spot, but bp automotive told me which pin was for the knock sensor.
So, does your PCM use one knock sensor or two? Like I said, your code is for the bank two knock sensor (that means there is also a bank one sensor).
Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
So, does your PCM use one knock sensor or two? Like I said, your code is for the bank two knock sensor (that means there is also a bank one sensor).
One knock sensor.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

One knock sensor.
Ok, then I guess I don't know enough about your PCM. I'll stick to the LT1 stuff.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Well, 3 months later and its fixed. It was right in front of me and I just didnt put 2 and 2 together. I called EFI about the code Thursday morning. They asked if it was bank 1 or 2. I told them 2 so he said easy fix. Disable it in the tune, there is no bank 2 knock sensor. DUHHHHH! Took it to the tuner and all is well. Its been a good week for the old LT1. Fixed a loud rocker arm last weekend. Even took the for sale ad off Craigslist.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Launching!

good to hear you got your 24x problem sorted out
Old 01-25-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wildbill040
I am trying to trouble shoot my 24x kit on my LT1 using a PSI built stand alone harness and a #411 PCM from an 02 Tahoe. I am beyond frustrated trying to get spark! Without an ocyilloscope, I don't know if I'm getting the right wave form, but, I do know I'm getting a 2V AC signal from the crank and 4V from the cam sensors. All other sensors are producing signals I can see live on my HP tuner, on an EFI live and on a snap on scanner with the exception of those two sensors. I've swapped pcm's for known good one and I get the same outcome. Signal into the PCM and nothing out to the coils. The pump runs continuously and I had all of the injectors dumping fuel. I pulled the pump relay and cleared the cyls. EFI connections has helped somewhat, but they have no answers.
Can you run a crank to start pid and tell me what you see from the crank and cam sensors? Your knock sensor isn't a 5v its a GND. I'll look at my charts to be sure though. Any help you might give would be appreciated! I have triple digit hours in this and the shop I sent it to has close to the same. It's rediculous!
An eBay oscilloscope is $55.00. See http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Nano-Pocket-sized-Handheld-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-ARM-DSO201US-/350982231163?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item51b82bd47b or search eBay for "dso nano".

We sell at $20.00 test harness as EFI# 100-00642 that will not require cutting into your crank sensor wiring.

These two items will quickly and easily identify a crank signal problem and cost much less than a couple hours of shop time.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Launching!

i'm on that! ebay here i come...i dont know why i never searched scopes before thanks again Mike!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, 3 months later and its fixed. It was right in front of me and I just didnt put 2 and 2 together. I called EFI about the code Thursday morning. They asked if it was bank 1 or 2. I told them 2 so he said easy fix. Disable it in the tune, there is no bank 2 knock sensor. DUHHHHH! Took it to the tuner and all is well. Its been a good week for the old LT1. Fixed a loud rocker arm last weekend. Even took the for sale ad off Craigslist.
Seems like the issue I was trying to get you to look at.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it figured out and another satisfied 24x user. Seems EFI is getting alot of flack from alot of users that dont know all the ins and out and flame them when really its just user error "most" of the time.

My setup has been working a-1 since day one its just been the motor giving me issues but i got them all worked out so far.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Seems like the issue I was trying to get you to look at.
Yep, I know Shoebox! Its like I said, the answer was right in front of me, I was just believing what the code was telling me. I cant even believe it. You know when you have a misfire but SWEAR you didnt mix up the plug wires, but you did? Thats how I feel.
Thanks, I shoulda just stepped back and looked at the whole OBVIOUS picture lol.

Quick Reply: 24x knock sensor voltage (UPDATE!!)