LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Plz help. Hard decision. Lt vs ls.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz help. Hard decision. Lt vs ls.

Ok. I would appreciate any comments besides the ls guys who think there god. I gotta 94 z28. 80k on body. 3 k on a 385 (.40 over) motor with afr 210cc heads. (2500$) lt4 intake. (**** the opti) runs ls1 coil packs & computer. Hooker headers. 9" moser. M6. 410hp. 2 bottles of nos. motor is all forged. Straight awesome and 555' custom cam. Hard to drive, very choppy. 44lb injectors.. Im just going off my head as iv changed phones. But all supporting mods including subframe connectors, lower arms, spec. 3 clutch. Hurst. Detroit locker. 3.90 gear. Does 6 sec. In 8th mile. Guy wants to trade me a 2000 clean z28 ls with headers & ls6 intake. 330hp 450 on 100 shot. Its a very hard decision. I know my lt has no resale value whatsoever even though everything imaginable that could be done to an lt 1 is done. I mean the motors & rear end is worth more than the car.. I personally think the ls car is a woman's car without a cowl or a man touch up. Lt's look sharp & mean. is it worth trading a built lt (which i like the body style better) for an ls car & start over, sink a bunch of $ into it to gain a few more horses ? His car is like i said 2000 z28 clean. Auto. 3600 stall & 100 shot. Leather also like mine & t top. I know this is my decision but i need some insight, sum drama, something, someone to talk to about this. I dont want to regret it. I dont care how many ppl say lt1's are outdated. I cant tell u how mny articals iv read that lt1's look better, sound better (dont have to worry Bout cracks) & everywhere i go i get ppl telling me how good it sounds. but on the contrary ls1's are more modern & have a more aftermarket. Im only 20 & have had almost 20 cars. Im good at trading lets just leave it at that. But anywho. Im keeping the 9" moser on this trade & hes at me giving him 800 in boot & im at 500 comfortably & i don't even know why. ? I think he should b hiving me boot ? Prolly cause he's got weld wheels on it worth 500$ a peice. But like i said i just need sum insight. His cars got 97k & again A4. Is it worth it ? My car has over 12k in mods. Someone tell me is it worth the somewhat of a downgrade to later on upgrade ? Sry about not showing every spec of my car. I just got an iphone 5 & haven't backed up my phone yet. Plz help.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

You're searching for answers that you already have. You're wanting to DOWNGRADE to another car simply because it has an LS1 in it? Why bother? If you want one THAT bad, then just build one and drop it in...

People put way too much emphasis on the LS motors. You know it never ends, right? LS1's make more power all things equal.. well, guess what. LS1's are crap compared to their new generation LS3. Or for that matter - the LS7. Why stop there? We could go on forever if you want to look at things that way....

At the end of the day, there's always someone else faster than you. You KNOW what you have now. If you've got that kind of money sunk into you need to leave it the hell alone and just drive it before you trade for someone else's headache in your quest for something that isn't attainable and is all in your head.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No way in hell I'd trade a built stroker for a stock LS1, to have to spend 10k+ all over again. LS1s are dirt cheap now, if you want one just save up and buy one - I've seen running ones going for ~5k now in decent shape.

You need more cam in your build though. A 385 with AFR 210s should make a lot more then 410 through an M6, even with the 9in.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If what you have is that hard to drive making that level power then there is a problem with the setup or tuning.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with the first responder, keep your car and if you want an LSx engine then just build one and get the correct tubular kmember to install it. That way you keep your 9" rear and all of your other mods and you won't be spending that money all over again. Plus you already have the LSx ignition instead of the retched Optispark which was the biggest problem with the LTx platform in my opinion. I would just keep the car you have and enjoy it. I get asked the same thing by all my friends "why not just get an LS powered car" my response was to go buy twin 67/67 turbos and I'm currently working on that, I'll never sell my 94 Z28 nor will I ever convert it to LS power.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get it fine tuned or tweak your setup until the car is more enjoyable to drive. "Upgrading" to a downgrade is foolish.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dowdy705
Ok. I would appreciate any comments besides the ls guys who think there god. I gotta 94 z28. 80k on body. 3 k on a 385 (.40 over) motor with afr 210cc heads. (2500$) lt4 intake. (**** the opti) runs ls1 coil packs & computer. Hooker headers. 9" moser. M6. 410hp. 2 bottles of nos. motor is all forged. Straight awesome and 555' custom cam. Hard to drive, very choppy. 44lb injectors.. Im just going off my head as iv changed phones. But all supporting mods including subframe connectors, lower arms, spec. 3 clutch. Hurst. Detroit locker. 3.90 gear. Does 6 sec. In 8th mile. Guy wants to trade me a 2000 clean z28 ls with headers & ls6 intake. 330hp 450 on 100 shot. Its a very hard decision. I know my lt has no resale value whatsoever even though everything imaginable that could be done to an lt 1 is done. I mean the motors & rear end is worth more than the car.. I personally think the ls car is a woman's car without a cowl or a man touch up. Lt's look sharp & mean. is it worth trading a built lt (which i like the body style better) for an ls car & start over, sink a bunch of $ into it to gain a few more horses ? His car is like i said 2000 z28 clean. Auto. 3600 stall & 100 shot. Leather also like mine & t top. I know this is my decision but i need some insight, sum drama, something, someone to talk to about this. I dont want to regret it. I dont care how many ppl say lt1's are outdated. I cant tell u how mny articals iv read that lt1's look better, sound better (dont have to worry Bout cracks) & everywhere i go i get ppl telling me how good it sounds. but on the contrary ls1's are more modern & have a more aftermarket. Im only 20 & have had almost 20 cars. Im good at trading lets just leave it at that. But anywho. Im keeping the 9" moser on this trade & hes at me giving him 800 in boot & im at 500 comfortably & i don't even know why. ? I think he should b hiving me boot ? Prolly cause he's got weld wheels on it worth 500$ a peice. But like i said i just need sum insight. His cars got 97k & again A4. Is it worth it ? My car has over 12k in mods. Someone tell me is it worth the somewhat of a downgrade to later on upgrade ? Sry about not showing every spec of my car. I just got an iphone 5 & haven't backed up my phone yet. Plz help.
OP, are you drunk or a potato? This shouldn't even be a question...if you aren't drunk or a potato.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

i like turtles
Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

No way I'd make that swap!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd never buy a car that's been sprayed with nos.. That's like buying used underwear..
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

LS1 all the way.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

I have both ..gotta say youll be happy with the ls1.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ Yes but read his post he has a fully built 383, LT4 heads-intake, a cam, sfc, 9" rear etc and is considering trading it for a basically stock LSx powered car, I wouldn't do it because then he'll end up spending that money all over again to mod the LSx car. If I wanted an LSx powered car then keep the LT1 and just buy a LSx powered car.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Keep the LT1. It IS the red headed step child of the GM motors, it is a very good motor for doing what you, me and others have done with them. I have a 94 Firehawk that I've been totally frustrated with recently converting to a 24x ignition, it has run high 10s on all motor which too is a well built 383 and full manual 700R4. It's a beast to drive on the street, you have to pay attention to it's handling, it rides rough with the suspension, it's loud and obnoxious, but, that's the point! It's old, but, turns heads!
I have an 04 GTO with a TVS 1900 SC LS6 with plenty of mods too that is my daily driver in the summer, it runs high 10s too, rides quite well, handles great and turns heads, it doesn't compare to my LT1 beast! I just have to figure out why I can't get it to start with the 24x conversion. You're right in figuring they aren't worth nearly what you and have into our cars, you'll not gain anything by doing what your considering.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That car needs more cam and a tune, it should make 450 to the wheels on motor.

Every swingin dick has a fast LS car, LT cars are shocker underdogs.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Teching In

If you're a good trader, then you found someone who's better! Like everyone else said built lt1 > stock ls1, even if he has welds. Second, if you want a ls1, build it, then you won't have to settle for a catfish.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I think that if you're wanting to screw yourself good and proper… be solid pissed off with yourself, for a good long time, you should trade your already appreciably faster platform for an inferior setup.

I mean why not?

You'll go slower, and enjoy absolutely NONE of the advantages of the sound setup you already own.

It makes perfect sense in a world where we're paying people to stay home, as a means to inspire them to work and where we're spending more money to keep parks closed, than it cost to keep them open… because we need 'free-healthcare' that is going to cost us orders of magnitude more than what it presently cost, before 'the fix' is in.

I say DO IT!

Now for the other owners of LT platforms who are still running their stock top end… but who want to go faster than your up and coming car… here's a word from our sponsor:

Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stay with the 385 LT. You’ll be taking a step backwards with the LS1 in terms of power, money, headache. Now as far as gas mileage, reliability you’ll be taking a step forward.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

NO WAY WOULD I TRADE YOUR SETUP FOR THE LS1!! Your lt1 needs a better cam, and some tuning. I made 460rwhp with a setup like yours same heads,383, 11.5cr, also went 10.71 on motor with a nitrous cam. Get a cam around .600/.615 234 240 on 110or 112.

Quick Reply: Plz help. Hard decision. Lt vs ls.