LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 TICKING getting louder & longer

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 TICKING getting louder & longer

Been abusing the living **** out of the bone stocker, and the start-up ticking is getting longer & gradually louder as the days go by. The ticking would stop after about 5 mins on a cold start-up, now it usually takes between 10-15 mins. It’ll tick like a cold start-up even when the car has been off for 5 mins after a full hot run. Its almost like it hasnt been started in 3 days. Dont know what to aim for “Valve Train or exhaust leaks”. The ticking is coming from passenger’s side.

Ticks faster along the rpm range. Usually disappears around 3000rpms. Not sure if the motor is too loud at 3000+ to hear the ticking or just something stops ticking at over 3000rpms.

3 areas im thinking are:
Rockers
Lifters
Exhaust leak
Old 10-04-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start with exhaust leak
Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Loose spark plug can also cause a tick.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

I have my money on exhaust leak by manifolds or whats mentioned above
Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Loose spark plug can also cause a tick.
Already made sure of that. Doesnt sound like a high pitch that would sound like arching. All wires are practically new. This sound im having trouble with has been going on for a couple years now. Just been getting louder (lately abusive) & really doesnt go away at lower rpm. Just quiets down the longer its running... If it turns out to be an gasket, what gasket # should I get on stock manifolds and the Tq specs?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Been abusing the living **** out of the bone stocker, and the start-up ticking is getting longer & gradually louder as the days go by. The ticking would stop after about 5 mins on a cold start-up, now it usually takes between 10-15 mins. It’ll tick like a cold start-up even when the car has been off for 5 mins after a full hot run. Its almost like it hasnt been started in 3 days. Dont know what to aim for “Valve Train or exhaust leaks”. The ticking is coming from passenger’s side.

Ticks faster along the rpm range. Usually disappears around 3000rpms. Not sure if the motor is too loud at 3000+ to hear the ticking or just something stops ticking at over 3000rpms.

3 areas im thinking are:
Rockers
Lifters
Exhaust leak

The LT1s were generally pretty quiet, and the one in my '96 Z-28 would pretty much prove that out. HOWEVER, I don't, as you've said, "Been abusing the sh*t out of it". Mine is approaching 80,000 miles, sees 65-75 MPH regularly, sometimes even more, but I don't flog it to get there. Abuse ANY engine, and it's going to get noisy, from undue wear and tear.

The LS1 in my Corvette, however, is a different story. Some of these engines had "low tension" oil rings, and they allow the pistons to "rock" slightly until the engine warms up. The condition is know as "piston slap", and my car does this for about 2-3 minutes after starting up. It's done this since day 1.

My$0.02 worth....If you don't have any obvious signs of arching plug wires or loose spark plugs, or any exhaust gasket leaks, and/or any loosely adjusted rocker arms, my guess is simply that the engine is getting tired. Maybe you beat it too hard for too long....
Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Already made sure of that. Doesnt sound like a high pitch that would sound like arching.
I don't mean a loose spark plug wire. I mean the plug actually being loose in the head. You have stock manifolds you want stock steal gaskets. That will work best.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lifter getting weak
Old 10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pulled the valve covers and passengers side’s closest rocker to cabin was loose. it rocked in every direction. Now im not certain to wether this is the clicking noise, but could of easily tightened that rocker down but wasnt sure if tightening it down would screw up stock settings or if all rockers need a lash adjustment.. The majority on the rockers have play in them, but #7 rockers almost has enough play to stick a ball joint in there. Ill let the experts give me some insight on messing with the rockers or just swap exhaust gaskets.. I appreciate the time guys.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ guess no one has any insight. BTW I forgot to add it only ticks when its in gear.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you found a loose rocker, fix it. I'd remove it and check to see if all the parts are intact, and check the push rod. Just take it out and let it roll across the hood. If it's bent you'll hear it. Put it back together and adjust it.

On my LT1 the tin lifter hold down jumped off #1 cylinder's lifters. They turned and quickly ate the cam and sent shrapnel everywhere.

Al 95 Z28

Quick Reply: LT1 TICKING getting louder & longer